London Banter

-   -   London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14378-london-tubes-unexpected-locations-underground.html)

[email protected] June 20th 15 04:31 PM

London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

I wonder if they employ trippers on that stretch or if they fit the test
trains with AWS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29110845

Roland Perry June 20th 15 05:18 PM

London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

In message , at 17:31:34 on Sat, 20 Jun
2015, " remarked:
I wonder if they employ trippers on that stretch or if they fit the
test trains with AWS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29110845

I've seen the tube trains under test at Old Dalby (last time I drove up
to the East Midlands a month ago). Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere
convenient for me to stop to take a photo.

The other odd thing about the line is the OHL a long way from any
electrified service lines. https://goo.gl/maps/Q70Uo

I doubt they use either trips or AWS as it's a self-contained test
track. To get to and from they are dragged by a diesel loco.

Recliner[_3_] June 20th 15 09:03 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:31:34 on Sat, 20 Jun 2015,
" remarked:
I wonder if they employ trippers on that stretch or if they fit the test trains with AWS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29110845

I've seen the tube trains under test at Old Dalby (last time I drove up
to the East Midlands a month ago). Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere
convenient for me to stop to take a photo.

The other odd thing about the line is the OHL a long way from any
electrified service lines. https://goo.gl/maps/Q70Uo

I think it's the only section of track, anywhere, with both fourth rail and
overhead electrification. I think that it's currently being used for both S
stock and IEP testing. Old Dalby is also where the currently surplus S7
stick waiting to enter service is being stored.

One unusual location for ex-LU stock the BBC missed is Long Marston:
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...e-this-anymore

Christopher A. Lee[_2_] June 20th 15 09:28 PM

London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 17:31:34 +0100, "
wrote:

I wonder if they employ trippers on that stretch or if they fit the test
trains with AWS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29110845

They mentioned the ex-Met Dreadnaughts on the Worth Valley, but not
the ex-Met Ashburies on the Bluebell.

Charles Ellson[_2_] June 20th 15 10:43 PM

London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 21:03:03 +0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Also found in the past at Shoeburyness.

Basil Jet[_4_] June 21st 15 01:41 AM

On 2015\06\20 22:03, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

IIRC Drayton Park has both fourth rail and overhead,
although obviously not for much distance.

Recliner[_3_] June 21st 15 01:45 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

The fourth rail isn't operational. It was disconnected when the overhead
was installed. It does have a short length of third rail and overhead, but
that's not uncommon.

Charles Ellson[_2_] June 21st 15 01:59 AM

London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

The fourth rail might not be doing a lot unless it has been left
connected but dropped onto the sleepers as done between Harrow and
Watford.

Basil Jet[_4_] June 21st 15 02:00 AM

On 2015\06\21 02:45, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

IIRC Drayton Park has both fourth rail and overhead,
although obviously not for much distance.

The fourth rail isn't operational. It was disconnected when the overhead
was installed. It does have a short length of third rail and overhead, but
that's not uncommon.

This seems to imply that overhead + 4th rail is in some way harder to do
than overhead + 3rd rail... I would have thought it would be the other
way around.