Old June 30th 15, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New buses on 285 route

3weeks ago the single decker buses on route 285 Kingston-Heathrow have been replaced with new double decker hybrid Wrightbus series 3.
John

Old June 30th 15, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/06/2015 14:44, wrote:
double decker hybrid Wrightbus

Ah, so it is *back* to double deckers

285, the only route (?) on which the Conductor could earn tips !

PA

Old June 30th 15, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roy Roy is offline

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 2:53:39 PM UTC+1, Peter Able wrote:
On 30/06/2015 14:44, johnoflondon@[...] wrote:
double decker hybrid Wrightbus

Ah, so it is *back* to double deckers

285, the only route (?) on which the Conductor could earn tips !

PA

My father used to drive the 285 after it went OPO. He'd occasionally get given random things like giant Toblerones.
--
Roy
Old June 30th 15, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/06/2015 16:25, Roy wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 2:53:39 PM UTC+1, Peter Able wrote:
On 30/06/2015 14:44, johnoflondon@[...] wrote:
double decker hybrid Wrightbus

Ah, so it is *back* to double deckers

285, the only route (?) on which the Conductor could earn tips !

PA

My father used to drive the 285 after it went OPO. He'd occasionally get given random things like giant Toblerones.

IIRC they went OPO late 1970 / early 1971. Before that event it was
quite a nice route to work as a conductor. Not as hectic as the other
2xx routes - and the chance of a half-a-crown tip for carrying luggage
into the terminal.

PA

Old June 30th 15, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote

3 weeks ago the single decker buses on route 285 Kingston-Heathrow have
been replaced with new double decker hybrid Wrightbus series 3.

So it's now harder to tell whether (Kingston-Teddington) the bus coming is a
281 or a 285.

-- --
Mike D

Old June 30th 15, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , stuck@home
(Peter Able) wrote:

On 30/06/2015 16:25, Roy wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 2:53:39 PM UTC+1, Peter Able wrote:
On 30/06/2015 14:44, johnoflondon@[...] wrote:
double decker hybrid Wrightbus

Ah, so it is *back* to double deckers

285, the only route (?) on which the Conductor could earn tips !

My father used to drive the 285 after it went OPO. He'd
occasionally get given random things like giant Toblerones.

IIRC they went OPO late 1970 / early 1971. Before that event it was
quite a nice route to work as a conductor. Not as hectic as the
other 2xx routes - and the chance of a half-a-crown tip for carrying
luggage into the terminal.

The 285 was the replacement for the 605 trolleybus route in 1962. I never
noticed it was extended to Heathrow even then. Trolleybuses didn't go beyond
Teddington.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 1st 15, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/06/2015 21:47, wrote:
In article , stuck@home
(Peter Able) wrote:

On 30/06/2015 16:25, Roy wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 2:53:39 PM UTC+1, Peter Able wrote:
On 30/06/2015 14:44, johnoflondon@[...] wrote:
double decker hybrid Wrightbus

Ah, so it is *back* to double deckers

285, the only route (?) on which the Conductor could earn tips !

My father used to drive the 285 after it went OPO. He'd
occasionally get given random things like giant Toblerones.

IIRC they went OPO late 1970 / early 1971. Before that event it was
quite a nice route to work as a conductor. Not as hectic as the
other 2xx routes - and the chance of a half-a-crown tip for carrying
luggage into the terminal.

The 285 was the replacement for the 605 trolleybus route in 1962. I never
noticed it was extended to Heathrow even then. Trolleybuses didn't go beyond
Teddington.

605s did run beyond Teddington, both in the early days and - not quite
sure, but they say the camera doesn't lie - right at the end (see link).
The 285 when operated by RM, had various ends, too. When I was working
them in 1970 they were Heathrow to New Malden with a Saturday variation
of Raynes Park.

http://www.trolleybus.net/subhtml/picture328.htm

I well remember a jumper telling me off at Raynes Park. He mistakenly
assumed "if it was an RM it must be a 131". Poor old duffer

PA

Old July 1st 15, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , stuck@home
(Peter Able) wrote:

On 30/06/2015 21:47, wrote:
In article ,
stuck@home (Peter Able) wrote:

On 30/06/2015 16:25, Roy wrote:
[...]

My map and the one at that URL agree with what I wrote. Incorrect blinds
were not confined to trolleybuses. In any case 605s went nowhere near
Heathrow!

I well remember a jumper telling me off at Raynes Park. He
mistakenly assumed "if it was an RM it must be a 131". Poor old
duffer

All the trolleybus replacement routes used RMs by 1962.

--
Colin Rosenstiel