Old February 16th 04, 08:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Busiest Stretch of line

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I suspect Tower Hill to Gloucester Road, on the
District and Circle Line of LUL, is even busier.

[crossposted to utl]

I doubt that this is the busiest part of the tube, because it has flat
junctions at both ends.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 16th 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I suspect Tower Hill to Gloucester Road, on the
District and Circle Line of LUL, is even busier.

[crossposted to utl]

I doubt that this is the busiest part of the tube, because it
has flat junctions at both ends.

For new readers, the original question was "what would you say was the
busiest strech of line (ie: Most Trains Per Hour) in GB?"

The peak frequency on the District/Circle lines is 4 trains every 8.5
minutes, i.e. about 28 tph per track. IIRC the Central line has 30 or
more tph in the peaks.

If "stretch of line" includes multiple-tracked sections, then (as
Bridge or Waterloo are contenders, but can anyone quote tph figures for
the peaks there?
--
Richard J.

Old February 16th 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland
writes
I suspect Tower Hill to Gloucester Road, on the
District and Circle Line of LUL, is even busier.

[crossposted to utl]

I doubt that this is the busiest part of the tube, because it has flat
junctions at both ends.

At one point it was certainly the busiest bit of the subsurface network,
with IIRC 33 tph in each direction during the peaks. It might well have
been the busiest point on the network. Unfortunately, "Sharing the
Circle" seems to have disappeared from the Web.

However, if we're counting the number of trains passing a station,
either Finchley Road or Hammersmith (D&P) would be my first suspect.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 16th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

However, if we're counting the number of trains passing a station,
either Finchley Road or Hammersmith (D&P) would be my first suspect.

Mile End?

Peter

Old February 17th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Busiest Stretch of line

Victoria to Oxford C.
Old February 18th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
If "stretch of line" includes multiple-tracked sections, then (as
Bridge or Waterloo are contenders, but can anyone quote tph figures for
the peaks there?

The lines through Clapham Junction, surely? Most of the Waterloo trains,
plus some for Victoria and a few for Willesdon Junction.

Look for the stopping ones he

http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk...ary.aspx?T=CLJ

[I think I counted 96 for the 21:00 hour - but it's a bit tricky...]

then add about 10tph for the non-stop and set-down only ones (I assume
the latter aren't shown)?
Old February 21st 04, 03:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , Richard J.
writes
If "stretch of line" includes multiple-tracked sections, then (as
Bridge or Waterloo are contenders, but can anyone quote tph figures for
the peaks there?

The lines through Clapham Junction, surely? Most of the Waterloo trains,
plus some for Victoria and a few for Willesdon Junction.

Look for the stopping ones he

http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk...ary.aspx?T=CLJ

[I think I counted 96 for the 21:00 hour - but it's a bit tricky...]

then add about 10tph for the non-stop and set-down only ones (I assume
the latter aren't shown)?

It's a matter of definition of what a "multiple track" section is. Clapham
Junction may indeed be the busiest railway station in Britain (if not the
world), but it is no less than four locations in the Timetable Data Base.
It is operated as four routes (Silverlink to Willesden [P2], the SWT Reading
route [P3-6], the SWT Main Line [P7-11] and the South Central Main Line
[P12-15]) and one actual junction (between the Kensington route [P16/17] and
the South Central slow lines). It is unusual for trains to be switched
between these routes except in emergency - just as well as otherwise we
would never be able to sort out the platforming for the departure posters
there!

So that impressive "sea of metal" you see looking east (12 running lines
plus connections and part of Clapham Yard) is effectively three multi-track
sections, for that is how it is normally operated.
--
- Yokel -
oo oo

"Yokel" now posts via a spam-trap account.
Replace my alias with stevejudd to reply.