Old December 22nd 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No drivers on busiest line after 2010

This is actually off-topic for this NG as it concerns the Paris Métro,
but I couldn't resist the attention-grabbing headline. I saw this
report in the local newspaper Le Parisien while in Paris last week.
It's of interest here, especially in view of the ASLEF strike on
Christmas Eve on the Piccadilly:

"There will be no more drivers on Line 1 from 2010. STIF [the Parisian
equivalent of TfL] has just given its green light to the project to
automate this line, ... the busiest in the Paris network with nearly 145
million passengers per year. Advantages for users of the line will
include increased frequency of trains, additional capacity of 6% in peak
hours, the possibility of running trains for a good part of the night
.... But, above all, the introduction of driverless trains will allow
them to run even during strikes."

The plan includes the installation of platform-edge doors at all
stations on the line, and new rolling stock, the existing stock to be
cascaded to Line 4. We're talking here about full automation with no
staff on the trains, as already implemented on Line 14. Line 1 and most
other Paris Métro lines currently run with ATO, which was installed
across the network between 1967 and 1979.
--
Richard J.

Old December 23rd 04, 03:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nice in theory, but what happens when control centre staff want to strike?

That nearly happened here in Vancouver earlier this year, fortunately
however it never materialised.

All things being equal though, automation is great. My SkyTrain commute
here is a blissful, reliable joy compared to the hell I endured on the tubes
for all those years.

Mike

k...

Old December 23rd 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I was once in Toulouse during a national transport strike (a common
occurence in France). The metro worked as normal. It's driverless
trains were (are) superb: Frequent, clean, comfortable.
Doing the same in London would be a good idea.

Old December 23rd 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
[...]

The DLR with its 99.2% reliability(?) is a testament to automated
operation. It's interesting that that Paris project is not far from the
scale of the Victoria line, which as 161m passengers annually.

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but is a member of staff
required on board trains in the UK for safety reasons?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old December 23rd 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:16:03 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

The DLR with its 99.2% reliability(?) is a testament to automated
operation.

It's also a testiment to new (or well-maintained), self-contained
networks with no street running. The Hamburg U-Bahn (which,
coincidentally, uses the same electrification system as the DLR) is
impeccably punctual and reliable, in my experience - and it has
drivers.

If the LUL infrastructure was completely renewed throughout to be of
the same standard as most European U-Bahnen, it would also achieve
those kind of figures, drivers or no.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Old December 23rd 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The DLR with its 99.2% reliability(?) is a testament to automated
operation.

It's also a testiment to new (or well-maintained), self-contained
networks with no street running. The Hamburg U-Bahn (which,
coincidentally, uses the same electrification system as the DLR) is
impeccably punctual and reliable, in my experience - and it has
drivers.

If the LUL infrastructure was completely renewed throughout to be of
the same standard as most European U-Bahnen, it would also achieve
those kind of figures, drivers or no.

There's also something to be said for work ethic, however. How often are
there problems on the Circle line due to "lack of drivers"?

Old December 24th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:43:24 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

This is actually off-topic for this NG as it concerns the Paris Métro,
but I couldn't resist the attention-grabbing headline.

"There will be no more drivers on Line 1 from 2010. STIF [the Parisian
equivalent of TfL] has just given its green light to the project to
automate this line, ... the busiest in the Paris network with nearly 145
million passengers per year. Advantages for users of the line will
include increased frequency of trains, additional capacity of 6% in peak
hours, the possibility of running trains for a good part of the night
... But, above all, the introduction of driverless trains will allow
them to run even during strikes."

French strikers tend to behave a bit belligerently when they get their
gander up.

I was working in St Nazaire a few weeks back and there was a dispute
going on with the local bus company.
One of the tactics used to draw attention to this was to set fire to
the Bus lane surface outside the Railway station using old tyres.
They also did the same at the entrance/exit to the Bus depot.
The tarmac was still smouldering 15 hours later.
I think they were demanding a shorter working week.
G.Harman.
Old December 27th 04, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Richard J. wrote:
"There will be no more drivers on Line 1 from 2010. STIF [the Parisian
equivalent of TfL] has just given its green light to the project to
automate this line, ... the busiest in the Paris network with nearly 145
million passengers per year. Advantages for users of the line will
include increased frequency of trains, additional capacity of 6% in peak
hours, the possibility of running trains for a good part of the night
... But, above all, the introduction of driverless trains will allow
them to run even during strikes."

Well, the trains on that line come into platforms fairly sharpish, so I
wonder what ItLL be like with Ato. The trains on the Central Line come
in very fast ATm.
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk
Old December 27th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
"There will be no more drivers on Line 1 from 2010. STIF [the
Parisian equivalent of TfL] has just given its green light to the
project to automate this line, ... the busiest in the Paris
network with nearly 145 million passengers per year. Advantages
for users of the line will include increased frequency of trains,
additional capacity of 6% in peak hours, the possibility of
running trains for a good part of the night ... But, above all,
the introduction of driverless trains will allow them to run even
during strikes."

Well, the trains on that line come into platforms fairly sharpish,
so I wonder what ItLL be like with Ato.

You missed the last bit of my post. "Line 1 and most other Paris Métro
lines currently run with ATO, which was installed across the network
between 1967 and 1979." (So LU is 25 years behind Paris in that
respect.) The speed of trains arriving at stations won't change. What
is planned is full automation, including closing of doors, which works
well on Line 14 already.
--
Richard J.