Old February 18th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
A H A H is offline

Default Talking Buses

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...
Im sure they have them in other places.
But in Yorkshire some of Arriva's buses announce the name of the next
stop in an audio annoucement and a visual supply. I think this is such
a good idea. Especially if travelling to somewhere your not sure where
your go. But surely in London with the high number of visitors who may
know where they are going but not sure when they get there. Surely
with all the brand new buses being introduced no-one thought to
introduce that?
I was on one bus. Im not sure of the number. But was travelling from
Liverpool Street via City to Picadilly area and they have a screen
showing news and a program about underwater life. Surely this could be
used to display the next stop before you get there?

More and more buses in London have recorded announcements, unfortunately.

Is it just me or do other people find "Bus stopping at next bus stop, stand
wall cleah of doahs" intensely bloody irritating? I've travelled on the
entire 188 route between North Greenwich and Russell Square and been
subjected to this wannabe Slaoane's voice every few hundered yards. How the
drivers can stand listening to these announcements all day long is beyond me
(though it would explain why so many drivers are grumpy buggers!).

Absolute nightmare, total noise pollution. I have to put the old headphones
on to drown out the irritating Sloane. Aaarrrggghhh!!! (

Old February 18th 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

A H wrote:

[...]

Oh, you mean the "bah-stah-pin-gat-neks-bah-stap
plee-stan-wew-clee-rev-dawz" one?

Yes, it's bloody annoying (345 route).

Amazed nobody has mentioned this one before!

Absolute nightmare, total noise pollution. I have to put the old headphones
on to drown out the irritating Sloane. Aaarrrggghhh!!! (

If she said which stop it was, I would be more than happy. I live here,
but even I occasionally take buses to places I don't know.
Old February 18th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Feb 2004 09:20:51 -0800,
wrote in :
Im sure they have them in other places.
But in Yorkshire some of Arriva's buses announce the name of the next
stop in an audio annoucement and a visual supply. I think this is such
a good idea. Especially if travelling to somewhere your not sure where
your go.

Some of the buses in Geneva do this; I'm not sure how many, but the
Number 9 out to Meyrin/CERN/etc certainly does.

The buses in Prague also have at least the audio announcement.

Noticable about at least both Prague and the Geneva 9 out to CERN
though is that the bus stops are much further apart than those in
London - I suspect the bus can easily know the next stop just from the
odometer. I guess this also means the locals have a bit more
motivation to get such systems working as it's not just a hundred-yard
walk if they miss the stop.

More to the point, though, I suspect it's a lot more obvious to
everybody what the name of the bus stop should be. I've no idea what
the offical names for most of the stops I use are, beyond it's often
not the "landmark" I'd have chosen. Automated announcements only help
if the person giving you directions knew the name of the bus stop...

There's also the small matter of being driven round the bend by the
steady stream of announcements, which in London will no doubt be
supplemented by a host of "for the comfort and convenience of
customers" messages reminding us not to smoke, take all our bags, yap,
yap, yap, aargh!

Henry
Old February 19th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joachim Harter wrote in message ...
Over here in Germany, city buses displaying or announcing the next stop
have become quite common over the last few years, too, and it's working
quite well.
I suppose that getting out-of-sync problem will be resolved when
GPS-based telematic systems are introduced more widely.

GPS doesn't work very well if at all in built up city centres. I can't see
how it would help.

B2003
Old February 19th 04, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Feb 2004, Boltar wrote:

Joachim Harter wrote in message ...

I suppose that getting out-of-sync problem will be resolved when
GPS-based telematic systems are introduced more widely.

GPS doesn't work very well if at all in built up city centres. I can't
see how it would help.

How do in-car navigation systems work? However it is, one would assume it
would also work in buses.

tom

--
Who would you help in a fight, Peter van der Linden or Bill Gates?

Old February 19th 04, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Feb 2004, Henry Nebrensky wrote:

More to the point, though, I suspect it's a lot more obvious to
everybody what the name of the bus stop should be. I've no idea what the
offical names for most of the stops I use are, beyond it's often not the
"landmark" I'd have chosen. Automated announcements only help if the
person giving you directions knew the name of the bus stop...

To be fair, the names are on the bus maps. Also, if the names were read
out constantly, people would learn them pretty quickly.

tom

--
Who would you help in a fight, Peter van der Linden or Bill Gates?

Old February 19th 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On 18 Feb 2004, Henry Nebrensky wrote:

More to the point, though, I suspect it's a lot more obvious to
everybody what the name of the bus stop should be. I've no idea what
the offical names for most of the stops I use are, beyond it's often
not the "landmark" I'd have chosen. Automated announcements only
help if the person giving you directions knew the name of the bus
stop...

To be fair, the names are on the bus maps.

No, they're not. I think you meant the bus *stops*.

--
Richard J.

Old February 20th 04, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:27:57 GMT, Richard J.
wrote in :
Tom Anderson wrote:
On 18 Feb 2004, Henry Nebrensky wrote:

More to the point, though, I suspect it's a lot more obvious to
everybody what the name of the bus stop should be. I've no idea what
the offical names for most of the stops I use are, beyond it's often
not the "landmark" I'd have chosen. Automated announcements only
help if the person giving you directions knew the name of the bus
stop...

To be fair, the names are on the bus maps.

No, they're not. I think you meant the bus *stops*.

They are on the "regional" "spider" maps for each major centre,
e.g http://www.londontransport.co.uk/bus...f/uxbridge.pdf

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old February 20th 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
Tom Anderson wrote:
On 18 Feb 2004, Henry Nebrensky wrote:

More to the point, though, I suspect it's a lot more obvious to
everybody what the name of the bus stop should be. I've no idea what
the offical names for most of the stops I use are, beyond it's often
not the "landmark" I'd have chosen. Automated announcements only
help if the person giving you directions knew the name of the bus
stop...

To be fair, the names are on the bus maps.

No, they're not. I think you meant the bus *stops*.

They have 'em on all stops in a mile or so radius on the spider maps!

I was surprised that this wasn't introduced with the new buses. It's
standard almost everywhere else in the world (at least anywhere that
invests in its public transport......)

How fast-talking cyclist got away with 'jumping red light' - Daily Mail Bruce[_2_] London Transport 5 January 17th 12 07:09 PM
Talking Buses CJB London Transport 22 December 19th 07 08:01 PM
Talking Trains burkey London Transport 0 November 10th 06 02:19 PM