London Banter

-   -   BUSES- Pay Before You Board (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1444-buses-pay-before-you-board.html)

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North February 16th 04 04:23 PM

BUSES- Pay Before You Board

This is without doubt a stupid idea.
Twice on different buses someone got on the bus and tried to pay a
fare. Spent a couple minuites arguing with the driver. Then got off.
The bus waited for them to buy a ticket. The first time the bus driver
had to shout instructions to the person.
Buying tickets before you board a bus is a great idea. However not
allowing the bus driver to sell tickets is stupid.
Surely the bus drivers can be allowed to sell tickets? As well as
pre-pay?

Fossil February 17th 04 06:18 AM

BUSES- Pay Before You Board

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...
This is without doubt a stupid idea.
Twice on different buses someone got on the bus and tried to pay a
fare. Spent a couple minuites arguing with the driver. Then got off.
The bus waited for them to buy a ticket. The first time the bus driver
had to shout instructions to the person.
Buying tickets before you board a bus is a great idea. However not
allowing the bus driver to sell tickets is stupid.
Surely the bus drivers can be allowed to sell tickets? As well as
pre-pay?

Hmmm.. sometimes I've seen drivers sell tickets to people. But most of the
time people board trying to buy a ticket, the bus driver drives off when
they go to the machine to buy a ticket!

Barry Salter February 17th 04 02:09 PM

BUSES- Pay Before You Board

On 16 Feb 2004 09:23:27 -0800, (CJG Now
Thankfully Living In The North) wrote:

Surely the bus drivers can be allowed to sell tickets? As well as
pre-pay?

Yhe whole point of pre-pay is to eliminate cash from buses by 2006 or
so, in an attempt to reduce the level of assaults of bus crews.

Admittedly, the whole 'pay before you board' concept could be advertised
better at the stops involved, but the instructions on the machines
aren't exactly hard to follow, and the majority of people use passes
anyway, including visitors.

Cya,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.

Badabing February 17th 04 05:33 PM

BUSES- Pay Before You Board

in article , CJG Now
Thankfully Living In The North at
wrote on 16/2/04
5:23 PM:

This is without doubt a stupid idea.
Twice on different buses someone got on the bus and tried to pay a
fare. Spent a couple minuites arguing with the driver. Then got off.
The bus waited for them to buy a ticket. The first time the bus driver
had to shout instructions to the person.
Buying tickets before you board a bus is a great idea. However not
allowing the bus driver to sell tickets is stupid.
Surely the bus drivers can be allowed to sell tickets? As well as
pre-pay?

Its not a bad idea as long as the ticket machines work and twice now I've
been unable to get a ticket from a machine because it either wasn't working
or had been vandalised. Both times I had to argue with the driver and
eventually he let me on but basically if the machine is buggered you cannot,
according to the rules, get on a bus.

Gaz February 18th 04 07:25 PM

BUSES- Pay Before You Board

Its not a bad idea as long as the ticket machines work and twice now I've
been unable to get a ticket from a machine because it either wasn't

working
or had been vandalised. Both times I had to argue with the driver and
eventually he let me on but basically if the machine is buggered you

cannot,
according to the rules, get on a bus.

No, according to the 'rules', if the machine is broken the bus driver must
allow you to board and proceed to take you to the next working machine.
While you're buying a ticket at this new machine he must wait for you. If
however you simply forgot to buy a ticket in the cashless zone and you want
to board the bus, the driver will tell you that you need to buy a ticket
before you board and is not obliged to wait.