Old July 28th 15, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL down for 2 days

On 28/07/2015 10:18, y wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 09:59:20 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 28/07/2015 09:46,
y wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 09:27:10 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 28/07/2015 09:15,
y wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:28:25 +0100
Yes. I gave up on it due to its lethargic service despite the fact that the
air conditioned trains and nice view make it far more pleasent than the

tube.
However its absolutely packed in the morning rush hour going south from
highbury.

Well if you're a bus afficianado then I'm sure the view from the upper
deck on the rail replacement bus will be even more pleasing than the
Overground (less tunnels).

Which part of "lethargic service" didn't you understand?

If someone is lacking understanding here, it's not me - I prefixed both
positive aspects about the rail replacement service with "if you're...".

You were simply making a feeble effort to take the ****. Stop digging that hole
while you can.

Why? Many of my comments regarding the buses were actually on topic for
this newsgroup (which is not a one to one conversation between you and
I) so I see no reason to stop.

You of course aren't compelled to either read or respond to them.

It appears you're not, but given you appear to have got riled about it,
maybe you secretly are and like a baby Egyptian crocodile are a little
in de Nile... ;-)

And give the spliffs a rest too.

Again, why? It generally helps people lighten up a little.
Old July 30th 15, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I went through there today; they've certainly been busy since I was last there about a month ago. What is the new steel structure being built over the Overground tracks North of where the Underground tracks cross them? It's not a bridge crossing the tracks, it looks more like an upper deck running on top of them, but it can't get any further South than it does now, because the bridges carrying the high-level tracks are in the way.

If that's what they've just done in a four day closure then they've done well. Can't be the easiest place to crane things into and out of.

Old July 30th 15, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I went through there today; they've certainly been busy since I was last
there about a month ago. What is the new steel structure being built
over the Overground tracks North of where the Underground tracks cross
them? It's not a bridge crossing the tracks, it looks more like an upper
deck running on top of them, but it can't get any further South than it
does now, because the bridges carrying the high-level tracks are in the way.

If that's what they've just done in a four day closure then they've done
well. Can't be the easiest place to crane things into and out of.

I think it's the new concourse above the ELL tracks you see in the first
illustration in
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/whitechapel/
Old July 31st 15, 02:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\07\27 13:43, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 27/07/2015 13:29, y wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 12:11:10 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 27/07/2015 12:01,
y wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 11:53:06 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 27/07/2015 11:21,
y wrote:
Anyone know why? And how come Overground think the route is so
inconsequential
that they can just shut it for 2 days during the working week and
to hell
with
the travelling public?

--
Spud

Crossrail work at Whitechapel according to TfLs website.

And it's not to hell with the travelling public - they have rail
replacement buses, seemingly a vast number of them given how Cable

Replacement bus services in london are a joke in the rush hour. You'd
often be quicker walking.

Well, if you can't run a train service (and there are sometimes reasons
why you can't), what else are they meant to offer? A rail replacement
helicopter service?!?

Do the work at a time when you inconvenience the least number of people.

Given they seem to need 4 days for whatever this job is, I reckon that
a Monday and Tuesday in late July (during typical summer holidays) is
pretty optimal.

Easter could have worked, or sometime around Christmas, but I guess
they probably didn't fit in with the overall timetable of works.

Hey - it's not like it's shut for years as the old ELL was twice in the
past couple of decades...

London was abnormally quiet during the Olympics, couldn't they have done
it then? ;-)