Old November 24th 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube staff are given 52 days holiday

Tube staff are given 52 days holiday

By Paul Marston, Transport Correspondent
(Filed: 24/11/2004)

Station staff on the London Underground will have 52 days off a year,
excluding weekends, under an agreement struck yesterday.

Transport for London, which runs the Tube, said a new 35-hour working
week had been negotiated under which staff would be on duty for 37.5
hours, and then "roll up" the extra two and a half hours into
additional rest days.

The 7,000 station staff would gain nine further rest days to add to
their previous six, plus 29 days' annual leave and eight bank
holidays, giving an overall entitlement of 52 days or 10 and a half
working weeks.

The RMT union, which has strongly supported Ken Livingstone, London's
mayor and the TfL chairman, said the "ground breaking" deal would mean
that with weekends included, staff would have 43 per cent of the year
off work. Station assistants typically earn £20,000 a year, with
supervisors on £35,000.

London Assembly Conservatives expressed fury at the settlement, which
follows threats of strikes from the union. A one-day stoppage took
place in the summer after negotiations ground to a halt.

Roger Evans, the transport spokesman, said: "This deal is beyond
comprehension. It is an outrageous insult to every hard-working
Londoner. Yet again we're seeing the unions holding the capital to
ransom. They know the threat of strikes always pays off. The answer is
to ban strikes on the Underground.

"Londoners will want to know what role Ken Livingstone played in this
mind-blowing agreement. The role of mayor is to put Londoners'
interests first. He has absolutely failed in this case."

Bob Crow, the RMT general secretary who was appointed for a period to
the TfL board, hailed the agreement enthusiastically. "Once again our
members' solidarity has brought results, and we have hammered out a
deal that sets the standard for the industry," he said.

Bobby Law, the union's regional organiser, defended the two-year
package. "This gives our members more quality time away from a very
stressful job. Tube staff work long shifts in difficult conditions
keeping an underfunded and fragmented system moving," he said.

"With abuse and assaults rising at an alarming rate, our members had
demanded better terms on working hours."

A spokesman for London Underground maintained that the arrangements
would be "self-financing" because the union had agreed that employees
could be deployed "more efficiently". It would allow Tubes to run
through the night on New Year's Eve and lead to later close-downs on
Friday and Saturday nights.

Pay and conditions on the Underground are becoming the most favourable
in the public sector. Tube drivers earn about £35,000 a year, but
manage with just 43 days off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ or http://tinyurl.com/52a9s

Old November 24th 04, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Just brilliant! The RMT and TSSA get "a good" agreement with SouthEastern
and then LU comes and trumps it.

London Assembly Conservatives expressed fury at the settlement, which
follows threats of strikes from the union. A one-day stoppage took
place in the summer after negotiations ground to a halt.

That's a bit rich. I wonder how many days a year they don't work including
"rest days" and "working" from home. I wonder what salary they get.

Old November 24th 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

That's ********.

How does time that is owed because i has already been worked count as
holiday? It's just working unpaid overtime and getting time off in lieu.

Roger

Old November 24th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
That's ********.

How does time that is owed because i has already been worked count
as
holiday? It's just working unpaid overtime and getting time off in
lieu.

Of course its not actual holidy, but it makes for a much more
sensationalist headline if you call it holiday.
A headline saying they'd got 29 days holiday + bank hols + time off in
lieu would be far to near the truth.

Roger

Old November 24th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matt Wheeler" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
That's ********.

How does time that is owed because i has already been worked count
as
holiday? It's just working unpaid overtime and getting time off in
lieu.

Of course its not actual holidy, but it makes for a much more
sensationalist headline if you call it holiday.
A headline saying they'd got 29 days holiday + bank hols + time off in
lieu would be far to near the truth.

They should either have said 37.5hr week and 52 days holiday or 35hr
week and 29 days (or however many it is)
Old November 25th 04, 06:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:49:27 +0000, Jason
wrote:

Tube staff are given 52 days holiday

By Paul Marston, Transport Correspondent
(Filed: 24/11/2004)

Station staff on the London Underground will have 52 days off a year,
excluding weekends, under an agreement struck yesterday.

Transport for London, which runs the Tube, said a new 35-hour working
week had been negotiated under which staff would be on duty for 37.5
hours, and then "roll up" the extra two and a half hours into
additional rest days.

Then it's not "holidays," it's time off in lieu of hours worked, but
within a formal limited structure. Plenty of office workers on
flexitime can accrue far more time and thus take far more days off.

The 7,000 station staff would gain nine further rest days to add to
their previous six, plus 29 days' annual leave and eight bank
holidays, giving an overall entitlement of 52 days or 10 and a half
working weeks.

I've seen people on flexitime use it to gain double that as extra days
off.

The RMT union, which has strongly supported Ken Livingstone, London's
mayor and the TfL chairman, said the "ground breaking" deal would mean
that with weekends included, staff would have 43 per cent of the year
off work. Station assistants typically earn £20,000 a year, with
supervisors on £35,000.

It's only 43% is you include weekends! Someone working 9-5 with 25
days leave on paper gets a total of 137 days off work - 35& of the
year. Putting in place a formal structure for another 6% as time off
in lieu of hours worked isn't such a huge difference.

London Assembly Conservatives expressed fury at the settlement, which
follows threats of strikes from the union. A one-day stoppage took
place in the summer after negotiations ground to a halt.

Roger Evans, the transport spokesman, said: "This deal is beyond
comprehension. It is an outrageous insult to every hard-working
Londoner. Yet again we're seeing the unions holding the capital to
ransom. They know the threat of strikes always pays off. The answer is
to ban strikes on the Underground.

Why is it an "insult"? It's not extra holidays - it's days off on
account of extra hours worked!

[snip rest of ****-stirring ********]
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old November 25th 04, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Roger Evans, the transport spokesman, said: "This deal is beyond
comprehension. It is an outrageous insult to every hard-working
Londoner. Yet again we're seeing the unions holding the capital to
ransom. They know the threat of strikes always pays off. The answer is
to ban strikes on the Underground.

Why is it an "insult"? It's not extra holidays - it's days off on
account of extra hours worked!

Well, I find it insulting as I don't get time off because of the extra hours
I work, and I would imagine the millions of people working for the many
companies in many industries that don't leech of public money, and don't
have a corrupt union propping them up might feel similarly about the
situation.

BTN

Old November 25th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:11:11 GMT, "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote:

Wow...so good he said it twice!

Obviously your news server didn't pick up the cancellation of one of
the posts.

As a fellow NTL user (not where my post was from!) I wouldn't expect
anything more!

Cheers,

Jason.
Old November 25th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

--- Sir Benjamin Nunn said...

"Nick Cooper" wrote in

Why is it an "insult"? It's not extra holidays - it's days off on
account of extra hours worked!

Well, I find it insulting as I don't get time off because of the
extra hours I work

Then why don't you join a strong union that's prepared to fight to get
you something like that? Maybe even become a shop steward and organise
that industrial action yourself? If you don't, you've only got yourself
to blame.

and I would imagine the millions of people working for the many
companies in many industries that don't leech of public money, and
don't have a corrupt union propping them up might feel similarly
about the situation.

Corrupt? You're saying a union doing what unions are *supposed* to do
counts as corrupt?

Now, if the union was collecting membership fees, putting them straight
into the pockets of its executives, and doing *nothing* for its members
in return, then *that* would be corrupt.

But a union that's prepared to actually get out there and fight for its
members, surely that's the exact opposite of corruption.