London Banter

-   -   Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14499-borders-railway-edinburgh-tweedbank-opening.html)

Roland Perry September 7th 15 10:57 AM

Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015

In message , at 11:04:42 on Mon, 7 Sep
2015, August West remarked:

A few months ago, I seriously considered buying a house on the edge of
Galashiels, on the strength of the arrival of the line.

My daughter is looking for a flat to rent in London for the next
academic year. She *was* using the night-tube as one indicator of
suitable places to live. But that's turning rapidly to dust.

So it looks like it's back to Z2 north of Euston Rd, and/or night buses.

[email protected] September 7th 15 12:00 PM

Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 11:04:42 on Mon, 7
Sep 2015, August West remarked:

A few months ago, I seriously considered buying a house on the edge of
Galashiels, on the strength of the arrival of the line.

My daughter is looking for a flat to rent in London for the next
academic year. She *was* using the night-tube as one indicator of
suitable places to live. But that's turning rapidly to dust.

So it looks like it's back to Z2 north of Euston Rd, and/or night
buses.

She has a fair number of cycling options.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry September 7th 15 01:24 PM

Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015

In message , at 07:00:49
on Mon, 7 Sep 2015, remarked:
A few months ago, I seriously considered buying a house on the edge of
Galashiels, on the strength of the arrival of the line.

My daughter is looking for a flat to rent in London for the next
academic year. She *was* using the night-tube as one indicator of
suitable places to live. But that's turning rapidly to dust.

So it looks like it's back to Z2 north of Euston Rd, and/or night
buses.

She has a fair number of cycling options.

Not really. Last year cycling from near Finsbury Park was taking three
quarters of an hour, and much effort needed to avoid very dangerously
busy roads. I'd also not recommend cycling home at midnight after social
events in Z1 (even in summer let alone in the depths of winter), which
is where the night bus|tube requirement comes from.

[email protected] September 7th 15 02:44 PM

wrote:

[...]

Three quarters of an hour from Finsbury Park seems a bit excessive. I didn't
take that long to and from Putney. There is the bike on train alternative to
a range of destinations although few as late as night tube.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry September 7th 15 03:24 PM

Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015

In message , at 09:44:12
on Mon, 7 Sep 2015, remarked:

Not really. Last year cycling from near Finsbury Park was taking
three quarters of an hour, and much effort needed to avoid very
dangerously busy roads. I'd also not recommend cycling home at
midnight after social events in Z1 (even in summer let alone in the
depths of winter), which is where the night bus|tube requirement
comes from.

Three quarters of an hour from Finsbury Park seems a bit excessive.

Google has it as 33min, 5.2 miles. Daughter is a cautious cyclist.

Mizter T September 7th 15 04:17 PM

On 07/09/2015 11:57, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:04:42 on Mon, 7 Sep
2015, August West remarked:

A few months ago, I seriously considered buying a house on the edge of
Galashiels, on the strength of the arrival of the line.

My daughter is looking for a flat to rent in London for the next
academic year. She *was* using the night-tube as one indicator of
suitable places to live. But that's turning rapidly to dust.

It'll happen. Eventually.

Was/is only Fri & Sat night though - I think some people got the idea in
their head that it'd be across the week.

So it looks like it's back to Z2 north of Euston Rd, and/or night buses.

Night buses in London are very popular and quite frequent (in some cases
very frequent).

Roland Perry September 7th 15 04:40 PM

Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015

In message , at 17:17:42 on Mon, 7 Sep 2015,
Mizter T remarked:
My daughter is looking for a flat to rent in London for the next
academic year. She *was* using the night-tube as one indicator of
suitable places to live. But that's turning rapidly to dust.

It'll happen. Eventually.

But before the end of September - probably not.

Was/is only Fri & Sat night though - I think some people got the idea
in their head that it'd be across the week.

Given the fuss about introducing it, count me amongst those people.

Are the unions *really* making all this fuss about a 2-day-a-week thing?

Bryan Morris September 7th 15 05:16 PM

Borders Railway (Edinburgh - Tweedbank) opening Sun 6 Sep 2015

In message , Roland Perry
writes
Are the unions *really* making all this fuss about a 2-day-a-week thing?

Yep and in effect an extra maybe 4 hours a night for 2 nights over
current hours
--
Bryan Morris
Public Key http://www.pgp.uk.demon.net - 0xCC6237E9

Arthur Figgis September 7th 15 05:56 PM

On 07/09/2015 17:17, Mizter T wrote:

Night buses in London are very popular and quite frequent (in some cases
very frequent).

In some cases.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

The Real Doctor September 7th 15 06:13 PM

On 07/09/15 11:57, Roland Perry wrote:
My daughter is looking for a flat to rent in London for the next
academic year. She *was* using the night-tube as one indicator of
suitable places to live.

If the Night Tube happens and turns out to be useful, won't it bump up
rents in the places it serves? Wouldn't it be a better indication of
where not to look?

Ian