Old September 23rd 15, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Slow TfL barriers with Travelcard

I've been in London today with a paper Travelcard, and noticed that all
the TfL barriers were really slow to open. Pull the ticket from the exit
slot and count 1, 2 before the paddles opened. Marching straight through
not a possibility. Is this new, and is it an artefact of various recent
upgrades for ITSO, contactless cards etc?

Old September 23rd 15, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23.09.15 17:13, Roland Perry wrote:
I've been in London today with a paper Travelcard, and noticed that all
the TfL barriers were really slow to open. Pull the ticket from the exit
slot and count 1, 2 before the paddles opened. Marching straight through
not a possibility. Is this new, and is it an artefact of various recent
upgrades for ITSO, contactless cards etc?

I noticed lately that using contactless at the disabled gates also takes
up to 3 seconds.
Old September 23rd 15, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23/09/2015 17:13, Roland Perry wrote:
I've been in London today with a paper Travelcard, and noticed that all
the TfL barriers were really slow to open. Pull the ticket from the exit
slot and count 1, 2 before the paddles opened. Marching straight through
not a possibility. Is this new, and is it an artefact of various recent
upgrades for ITSO, contactless cards etc?

Hmm, my first though is it was a dodgy paper ticket, but if so one
imagines it'd take longer for the gate to return it.

Like many I use contactless or Oyster almost all the time now - though a
Network Railcard discounted Day Travelcard can be useful at the weekend
(£7.80), but only for journeys beyond zone 3 (as the 1-3 cap is £7.50).

Unless one has managed to mislay their wallet/cards, of course...
Old September 23rd 15, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:40:12 on Wed, 23 Sep
2015, Mizter T remarked:

Like many I use contactless or Oyster almost all the time now - though
a Network Railcard discounted Day Travelcard can be useful

If I use my Railcard then an off-peak Travelcard from where I live
breaks even at between two and three tube trips. I bought one today, and
then travelled three legs in London, so probably it was worth it. As
insurance if nothing else.