Old September 28th 15, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Film Death Line - What Stations?

On Saturday, 4 September 1999 08:00:00 UTC+1, gl1 wrote:

Mind The Doors!!!

Isn't it (in the film) Mind the Gap!

Old September 28th 15, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\09\28 20:07, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 4 September 1999 08:00:00 UTC+1, gl1 wrote:

Mind The Doors!!!

Isn't it (in the film) Mind the Gap!

Never mind the 16 year gap between the question and answer.

Old September 28th 15, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\09\28 20:07, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 4 September 1999 08:00:00 UTC+1, gl1 wrote:

Mind The Doors!!!

Isn't it (in the film) Mind the Gap!

Never mind the 16 year gap between the question and answer.

It took that long to decypher 'Minardor'.

Nick
Old September 29th 15, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 8:13:13 PM UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\09\28 20:07, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 4 September 1999 08:00:00 UTC+1, gl1 wrote:

Mind The Doors!!!

Isn't it (in the film) Mind the Gap!

Never mind the 16 year gap between the question and answer.

And in those 16 years nobody bothered to Google, (or possibly Netscape it back then)! According to Wikipedia, the film was shot at Aldwych and Holborn.

Neill
Old September 29th 15, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 8:13:13 PM UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\09\28 20:07, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 4 September 1999 08:00:00 UTC+1, gl1 wrote:

Mind The Doors!!!

Isn't it (in the film) Mind the Gap!

Never mind the 16 year gap between the question and answer.

And in those 16 years nobody bothered to Google, (or possibly Netscape it
back then)! According to Wikipedia, the film was shot at Aldwych and Holborn.

Did Netscape ever have a search engine? I don't recall one.

I think back then Yahoo, Excite, Ask (Jeeves) or MSN would have been the
most likely candidates. In those early days, I used a search aggravation
engine that farmed out queries to multiple engines and combined the
results, as no single engine had comprehensive coverage of the then tiny
Web. Google was just getting started but didn't stand out back then.

Old September 29th 15, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\09\29 14:48, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 8:13:13 PM UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\09\28 20:07, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 4 September 1999 08:00:00 UTC+1, gl1 wrote:

Mind The Doors!!!

Isn't it (in the film) Mind the Gap!

Never mind the 16 year gap between the question and answer.

And in those 16 years nobody bothered to Google, (or possibly Netscape it
back then)! According to Wikipedia, the film was shot at Aldwych and Holborn.

Did Netscape ever have a search engine? I don't recall one.

I think back then Yahoo, Excite, Ask (Jeeves) or MSN would have been the
most likely candidates. In those early days, I used a search aggravation
engine that farmed out queries to multiple engines and combined the
results, as no single engine had comprehensive coverage of the then tiny
Web. Google was just getting started but didn't stand out back then.

That sounds like Metacrawler. I think Altavista was the single most
popular one.
Old September 29th 15, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septem
ber.org, at 13:48:15 on Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Recliner
remarked:
And in those 16 years nobody bothered to Google, (or possibly Netscape it
back then)! According to Wikipedia, the film was shot at Aldwych and Holborn.

Did Netscape ever have a search engine? I don't recall one.

I think back then Yahoo, Excite, Ask (Jeeves) or MSN would have been the
most likely candidates. In those early days, I used a search aggravation
engine

Perhaps it was very aggravating, but I expect they intended to be
aggregating.

that farmed out queries to multiple engines and combined the
results, as no single engine had comprehensive coverage of the then tiny
Web. Google was just getting started but didn't stand out back then.

Yahoo was more of a collection of human-researched links and didn't have
a search engine until 2002, MSN only started search in 1998, didn't
really settle down until 2005, and in 2009 was rebranded Bing. Ask
Jeeves wasn't until 1997 (about the same date as Google).

Before Google, people used AltaVista (1994, which evolved to a
Usenet-only search) and Lycos (1994 again).
Old September 29th 15, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message -septem
ber.org, at 13:48:15 on Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Recliner remarked:
And in those 16 years nobody bothered to Google, (or possibly Netscape it
back then)! According to Wikipedia, the film was shot at Aldwych and Holborn.

Did Netscape ever have a search engine? I don't recall one.

I think back then Yahoo, Excite, Ask (Jeeves) or MSN would have been the
most likely candidates. In those early days, I used a search aggravation
engine

Perhaps it was very aggravating, but I expect they intended to be aggregating.

Drat! The perils of an iPad that thinks it knows what you meant better
than you...

that farmed out queries to multiple engines and combined the
results, as no single engine had comprehensive coverage of the then tiny
Web. Google was just getting started but didn't stand out back then.

Yahoo was more of a collection of human-researched links and didn't have
a search engine until 2002, MSN only started search in 1998, didn't
really settle down until 2005, and in 2009 was rebranded Bing. Ask Jeeves
wasn't until 1997 (about the same date as Google).

Before Google, people used AltaVista (1994, which evolved to a
Usenet-only search) and Lycos (1994 again).

What would people have been using in 1999-2000? I have no recollection of
which engine I was using back then, apart from the parallel aggregate
search engine whose name also escapes me.
Old September 29th 15, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septem
ber.org, at 15:27:17 on Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Recliner
remarked:

Yahoo was more of a collection of human-researched links and didn't have
a search engine until 2002, MSN only started search in 1998, didn't
really settle down until 2005, and in 2009 was rebranded Bing. Ask Jeeves
wasn't until 1997 (about the same date as Google).

Before Google, people used AltaVista (1994, which evolved to a
Usenet-only search) and Lycos (1994 again).

What would people have been using in 1999-2000? I have no recollection of
which engine I was using back then, apart from the parallel aggregate
search engine whose name also escapes me.

Altavista which was rapidly overtaken by Google.
Old September 29th 15, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote

Before Google, people used AltaVista (1994, which evolved to a
Usenet-only search) and Lycos (1994 again).

What would people have been using in 1999-2000? I have no recollection of

which engine I was using back then, apart from the parallel aggregate
search engine whose name also escapes me.

I was using AltaVista (somewhat later some fool redirected all UK references
to AltaVista.com to AltaVista.co.uk which showed me a blank screen. I moved
to Google.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltaVista
As of 1998, it used 20 multi-processor machines using DEC's 64-bit Alpha
processor. Together, the back-end machines had 130 GB of RAM and 500 GB of
hard disk space, and received 13 million queries every day.[8] This made
AltaVista the first searchable, full-text database of a large part of the
World Wide Web.

The Usenet search and post was Deja
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups#Deja_News

--