Old February 5th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default "Death Line" 1972 (Film)

I dont know if anyone was watching TV4 last night but a fascinating film
"Death Line" from 1972 was shown. Essentially people kept going into a
central london tube station late at night and never being seen again. [I'm
not saying which one for reasons that those who know which one it is will
understand - suffice to say the station choice made its screening at all a
little surprising]. It turned out they were being murdered by cannibalistic
troglodytes who were descendents of workers (both men and women) who were
marooned in a tunnel collapse during construction of the line and the
company building it didn't have the money to mount a rescue.

Although officially a horror film it was actually in some ways a tear jerker
as there were only two of the troglodytes left, one man, one woman and the
woman died in childbirth. It had a lot more depth than most films of the
genre.

According to the credits, the whole thing was filmed on location . Does
anyone know where it was filmed. Gloucester road and South Kensington seem
possibilities as there was a sign saying "District Line". The disused
station area where the trogoldytes lived was absolutely fascinating, does
anyone know where it was?

Finally according to this website
http://www.angelfire.com/darkside/re.../deathline.htm

"The film was apparently based on one of the old urban legend's surrounding
the London Underground about subterranean humans (similar to troglodytes)
living in disused portions of the old underground system and preying on
unwary passengers."

Does anyone know any more about such urban legends?

Paul

Old February 5th 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul wrote in
:

I don't know if anyone was watching TV4 last night but a fascinating
film "Death Line" from 1972 was shown. Essentially people kept going
into a central london tube station late at night and never being seen
again. [I'm not saying which one for reasons that those who know
which one it is will understand - suffice to say the station choice
made its screening at all a little surprising].

I'm intrigued why the choice of station should make it surprising that the
film was ever screened. Are you talking about the station that was portrayed
as opposed to the one where it was actually filmed?

According to the credits, the whole thing was filmed on location .
Does anyone know where it was filmed. Gloucester road and South Kensington
seem possibilities as there was a sign saying "District
Line". The disused station area where the trogoldytes lived was
absolutely fascinating, does anyone know where it was?

IMDB (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0068458/) mentions Russell Square station
as one of the filming locations. However that's on the Piccadilly Line, not
the District Line, so maybe other stations were used as well for the
filming.

Old February 5th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
Paul wrote in
:

I don't know if anyone was watching TV4 last night but a fascinating
film "Death Line" from 1972 was shown. Essentially people kept going
into a central london tube station late at night and never being seen
again. [I'm not saying which one for reasons that those who know
which one it is will understand - suffice to say the station choice
made its screening at all a little surprising].

I'm intrigued why the choice of station should make it surprising that the
film was ever screened. Are you talking about the station that was
portrayed as opposed to the one where it was actually filmed?

The Station portrayed. Not ever screened, but screened recently.

According to the credits, the whole thing was filmed on location .
Does anyone know where it was filmed. Gloucester road and South
Kensington seem possibilities as there was a sign saying "District
Line". The disused station area where the trogoldytes lived was
absolutely fascinating, does anyone know where it was?

IMDB (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0068458/) mentions Russell Square station
as one of the filming locations. However that's on the Piccadilly Line,
not the District Line, so maybe other stations were used as well for the
filming.

The deep level scenes were on the picc line but not at RS because as well as
way out signs there were "To District Line" Signs.

Old February 5th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

All filmed on the Aldwych branch, I believe.

Old February 5th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul wrote in
:

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
Paul wrote in
:

I don't know if anyone was watching TV4 last night but a fascinating
film "Death Line" from 1972 was shown. Essentially people kept going
into a central london tube station late at night and never being
seen again. [I'm not saying which one for reasons that those who
know which one it is will understand - suffice to say the station
choice made its screening at all a little surprising].

I'm intrigued why the choice of station should make it surprising
that the film was ever screened. Are you talking about the station
that was portrayed as opposed to the one where it was actually
filmed?

The Station portrayed. Not ever screened, but screened recently.

Ah. Point taken. Now I see what you mean.

Old February 5th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ericthehalfabee" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

That was my first suspicion but the trains definitely arrived and departed
so I dont think it could have been aldwych - could have been platform 3 at
Holborn possibly, but that wouldn't explain the "to District Line" sign
which was inappropriate for the station portrayed. Either way the station
had lifts not escalators

Old February 5th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ericthehalfabee" wrote in message
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...v/lufandtv.htm

Did any one see "Museum?

Museum (as Richard from "Keeping up Appearances" explained) was the name of
the abandoned station where the troglodytes lived. The only stations
actually featured in the film were Holborn and RS. Aldwych did not actually
feature as a station in the film.

The disused area looked more like a sub surface than a tube line but may I
guess have been the long disused platform at Aldwych or was there ever a
platform 6 built for the long disused aldwych line tunnel at holborn?

The film makers clearly borrowed from local knowledge as "British museum"
station is not far form Holborn, albeit on the Central Line

Old February 5th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul wrote:

The disused area looked more like a sub surface than a tube line but may I
guess have been the long disused platform at Aldwych or was there ever a
platform 6 built for the long disused aldwych line tunnel at holborn?

I believe so but didn't it become a private storage facility?

The film makers clearly borrowed from local knowledge as "British museum"
station is not far form Holborn, albeit on the Central Line

More than that - the Central Line platforms were a replacement for British
Museum.

Old February 5th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Ah "Museum" station where the troglodytes lived was actually "British Museum
Station:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...m_tube_station

No doubt about it when you look at the architecture on this web page. Big
question is how they managed to shut the Central line to film it - unless it
was done at Christmas

http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co....m_station.html