Old October 5th 15, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Taxi Consultation to "kill" Uber

On 2015-10-04 16:58:23 +0000, JNugent said:
There is no such thing as a mini cab.
"Minicab" is a common London term for a private-hire car (that isn't a
premium one).

There is no such thing as a mini cab.

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/234043
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/

Forgive me if I take their word for it over yours.

The word "cab" has a legal definition.

Old October 5th 15, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-10-04 16:58:23 +0000, JNugent said:
There is no such thing as a mini cab.
"Minicab" is a common London term for a private-hire car (that isn't a
premium one).
There is no such thing as a mini cab.

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/234043
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/

Forgive me if I take their word for it over yours.

The word "cab" has a legal definition.

Is english your 2nd language? When 2 words are combined they generally no
longer mean the same as each original word. For example: a riverbus isn't a
red double decker that happens to float.

--
Spud

Old October 5th 15, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:45:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
the pavement outside the venue in the pouring rain, or perhaps five
minutes earlier when they are inside in the warm and can more
comfortably use their phone to order a car to arrive in five minute's
time?

Since thats exactly how people used to order minicabs I'm wondering what
exactly is the killer selling point of Uber. Other than it means Aspergers
types don't actually have to talk to a person and get all stressed.

--
Spud

Old October 5th 15, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:07:56 on Mon, 5 Oct 2015, Recliner
remarked:
Yes, and thousands of them are "moved on". Better for them not to be
causing the anti-social menace in the first place.
How do you propose to stop them? Even with the 5 minute "delay" they
will still no doubt wait in places where they are near to a likely job.

It'll dramatically reduce the touting and plying for hire.

If anything it would increase it. Customers don't want to be forced to
pointlessly wait so would be more inclined to go with a driver offering
an illegal service. I certainly would.

Depends when you think people order a Uber. Is it when they are stood on
the pavement outside the venue in the pouring rain, or perhaps five
minutes earlier when they are inside in the warm and can more
comfortably use their phone to order a car to arrive in five minute's
time?

More likely to be inside, but Uber cars typically arrive in something like
three minutes, and probably less in an area of known high demand and hence
supply. Why then make the car hang around for an extra two minutes, adding
to the road congestion you claimed to be against?

They could set off from where they were coughcough legally parked up
awaiting a fare, two minutes later.

Old October 5th 15, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-10-04 14:49:57 +0000, Eric said:
It has been known to get addresses wrong or fail to find them entirely.
So have taxi drivers.

Of course, but you did seem to present Google Maps as a better answer.

In my experience it *is* a better answer.

"It's fine for me, so how could anyone else have a problem?"?

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry
Old October 5th 15, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:11:53 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:45:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
the pavement outside the venue in the pouring rain, or perhaps five
minutes earlier when they are inside in the warm and can more
comfortably use their phone to order a car to arrive in five minute's
time?

Since thats exactly how people used to order minicabs I'm wondering what
exactly is the killer selling point of Uber. Other than it means Aspergers
types don't actually have to talk to a person and get all stressed.

You don't have to know the names and phone numbers of local mini cab firms,

Google.

nor explain the address to someone who may not have a shared language.

Right, because Uber drivers are always natives.

Either or both parties may be in a noisy environment.

What's more, Uber probably gets you a car more quickly, you don't need to
pay cash (a particular advantage when abroad, if you don't have local
currency), and it's typically cheaper.

Of course its cheaper - unvetted drivers whose only qualification is owning
a car and smartphone.

--
Spud

Old October 5th 15, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london