London Banter

-   -   Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14541-clapham-junction-pink-oyster-reader.html)

Kerry Hawkins October 9th 15 08:09 AM

Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader

Hello

I want to travel to Canary Warf from Worcester Park using the London Overground from Clapham Junction.

I will touch in at Worcester Park but do I have to touch the pink reader at Clapham Junction before I get on the Overground...?

Thanks for your help.

Walter Briscoe October 9th 15 11:34 AM

Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader

In message of Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:56:35 in
uk.transport.london, "
writes
On 09.10.15 9:09, Kerry Hawkins wrote:
Hello

I want to travel to Canary Warf from Worcester Park using the London
Overground from Clapham Junction.

I will touch in at Worcester Park but do I have to touch the pink reader
at Clapham Junction before I get on the Overground...?

Thanks for your help.

I would.

The single fare finder says "To ensure you are charged the appropriate
fare you must touch on the pink card reader if interchanging at Canada
Water". No mention on CLJ. This selects 2.70/2.10 in place of 5.40/4.20.

I found Single Fare Finder on an Android 'phone with: start at
https://tfl.gov.uk, Menu/Fares & payments/Single fare finder.
--
Walter Briscoe

[email protected] October 9th 15 01:16 PM

In article , () wrote:

On 09.10.15 9:09, Kerry Hawkins wrote:
Hello

I want to travel to Canary Warf from Worcester Park using the London
Overground from Clapham Junction.

I will touch in at Worcester Park but do I have to touch the pink reader
at Clapham Junction before I get on the Overground...?

Thanks for your help.

I would.

Assuming the OP changes from Overground to Jubilee at Canada Water then
definitely touch any passing pink readers. You need to touch to show you
haven't used a route via Zone 1 if the normal route goes that way.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] October 9th 15 01:31 PM

Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader

In article ,
(Walter Briscoe) wrote:

In message of Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:56:35 in
uk.transport.london, "
writes
On 09.10.15 9:09, Kerry Hawkins wrote:
Hello

I want to travel to Canary Warf from Worcester Park using the London
Overground from Clapham Junction.

I will touch in at Worcester Park but do I have to touch the pink
reader at Clapham Junction before I get on the Overground...?

Thanks for your help.

I would.

The single fare finder says "To ensure you are charged the appropriate
fare you must touch on the pink card reader if interchanging at Canada
Water". No mention on CLJ. This selects 2.70/2.10 in place of
5.40/4.20.

I found Single Fare Finder on an Android 'phone with: start at
https://tfl.gov.uk, Menu/Fares & payments/Single fare finder.

No harm in touching pink readers at both CLJ and CW.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Steve Lewis October 9th 15 02:07 PM

Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader

You should touch every pink Oyster reader that you encounter during your journey. It will either have no effect on the fare that you pay, or it will reduce your dare, it will never cause you to pay a higher fare.

Mizter T October 9th 15 02:55 PM

Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader

On 09/10/2015 14:16, wrote:

In article ,
() wrote:

On 09.10.15 9:09, Kerry Hawkins wrote:
Hello

I want to travel to Canary Warf from Worcester Park using the London
Overground from Clapham Junction.

I will touch in at Worcester Park but do I have to touch the pink reader
at Clapham Junction before I get on the Overground...?

Thanks for your help.

I would.

Assuming the OP changes from Overground to Jubilee at Canada Water then
definitely touch any passing pink readers. You need to touch to show you
haven't used a route via Zone 1 if the normal route goes that way.

You only need to touch the pink readers shown on the single fare finder
to benefit from the lower non-z1 fare.

Touching on any others won't do any harm, but it doesn't have any effect
either. In other words, no need to "definitely touch any passing pink
readers".

And yes, the reality matches what I've just said!

Mizter T October 9th 15 03:00 PM

On 09/10/2015 12:34, Walter Briscoe wrote:

In message of Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:56:35 in
uk.transport.london, "
writes

On 09.10.15 9:09, Kerry Hawkins wrote:
Hello

I want to travel to Canary Warf from Worcester Park using the London
Overground from Clapham Junction.

I will touch in at Worcester Park but do I have to touch the pink reader
at Clapham Junction before I get on the Overground...?

Thanks for your help.

I would.

The single fare finder says "To ensure you are charged the appropriate
fare you must touch on the pink card reader if interchanging at Canada
Water". No mention on CLJ. This selects 2.70/2.10 in place of 5.40/4.20.

Yep there's no need to use the one at Clapham Junction, though nothing
bad will happen if one does (it'll have no effect at all).

I found Single Fare Finder on an Android 'phone with: start at
https://tfl.gov.uk, Menu/Fares & payments/Single fare finder.

The URL is:
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...le-fare-finder

The TfL site is built on the responsive web design basis, so (the theory
is) you'll be served a page appropriate to your device whether that be
mobile or 'full screen' (laptop/desktop).

Clank October 9th 15 06:26 PM

Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 07:07:15 -0700 (PDT), Steve Lewis
wrote:

You should touch every pink Oyster reader that you encounter during your
journey. It will either have no effect on the fare that you pay, or it
will reduce your dare, it will never cause you to pay a higher fare.

Wrong. You should only touch the ones specified by TfL in the Single
Fare Finder.

Really?

Then that is, with the best will in the world, a completely ****ed up
system. And worse, one which TfL have not communicated to the public.

Are you seriously suggesting that anyone who travels on a TfL service
involving a change of train is expected to go online first to find out
where they should or should not touch the reader?

[email protected] October 9th 15 09:34 PM

Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 09/10/2015 14:16,
wrote:

In article ,
()
wrote:

[...]

The trouble is that most people haven't looked at the Single Fare Finder
before travelling. So the advice to touch every pink reader is a belts and
braces approach which can't go wrong.

--
Colin Rosenstiel