Old February 21st 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Freedom Pass and Oyster Pre Pay?

My father's old Freedom Pass has just been renewed/replaced by a new style
'smartcard'.

Its appears to be effectively a specially designed Oyster card but none of
the documentation/notes that come with it make any reference to "Oyster" at
all - only to the new "'smartcard' freedom pass"

As such, does anyone know if these new Freedom Passes can be loaded with Pre
Pay? ( I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet to try loading anything
myself!)

If it is possible to use Pre-Pay with a Freedom Pass card - it seems a
"slight" oversight not to mention it - not all journeys over 60's make is
after 9 AM.!

Also, I note that the Freedom Pass is now valid for two years (until 31st
March 2006) - am I correct in thinking that in the past they were only valid
for one year?

Regards
Sunil

Old February 21st 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

AFAIK you cannot load prepay onto an Oyster Freedom Pass, I will check
tomorrow.
--
Cheers, Steve.
If The Good Lord had meant for us to be fiscally prudent, He would not have

Old February 21st 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:49:58 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

My father's old Freedom Pass has just been renewed/replaced by a new style
'smartcard'.

Its appears to be effectively a specially designed Oyster card but none of
the documentation/notes that come with it make any reference to "Oyster" at
all - only to the new "'smartcard' freedom pass"

As such, does anyone know if these new Freedom Passes can be loaded with Pre
Pay? ( I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet to try loading anything
myself!)

If it is possible to use Pre-Pay with a Freedom Pass card - it seems a
"slight" oversight not to mention it - not all journeys over 60's make is
after 9 AM.!

Also, I note that the Freedom Pass is now valid for two years (until 31st
March 2006) - am I correct in thinking that in the past they were only valid
for one year?

I don't believe they can be loaded with Pre-Pay as they are probably
coded as a Pass or a Permit. TfL Staff Passes have no pre-pay facility
either (not that I can see a reason for wanting it).

From memory Freedom Passes have always been issued for a period of 2
years.
--
Paul C

Old February 22nd 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

The new Freedom pass does not have the pre-pay facility. As you say some
people travel before 09.00 so it would be helpful for this to be enabled. I
would suggest requesting this but who from I do not know maybe oyster
helpline or maybe the local authority who issued it.

As it is a smatcard they can be made valid for however long. In the past
there were a lot of illegally used freedom passes and very little chance of
stopping them. This system means that as soon as a card is lost or stolen it
can be stopped from working the gates.

Finally if you want your Father to have free travel all the time ask for a
disabled freedom pass.

Old February 22nd 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

They've always been valid for two years.

Old February 22nd 04, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Anon" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

Except on NR where a disabled freedom pass is only valid after 09.30 for
some reason.

Old February 22nd 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:09:19 -0000, "You know who"
wrote:

Except on NR where a disabled freedom pass is only valid after 09.30 for
some reason.

The exception being the "interavailable" routes, where it's valid at any
time, just to add to the confusion.

Cya,

Barry

How can I find out which routes it works on before 09.30?

Thanks

Old February 22nd 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:07:25 -0000, "You know who"
wrote:

How can I find out which routes it works on before 09.30?

The routes (as they apply to Freedom Pass holders) are as follows:

+ Amersham to Marylebone
+ Finsbury Park to King's Cross/Moorgate
+ Harrow and Wealdstone to Euston
+ Kentish Town to Moorgate/Elephant & Castle/London Bridge
+ Liverpool Street to Walthamstow Central/Tottenham Hale/Seven Sisters
+ Richmond to Gunnersbury
+ Stratford to Canning Town
+ Stratford to Liverpool Street
+ Upminster to Fenchurch Street/Liverpool Street via Barking (but not at
Forest Gate/Maryland)
+ West Ruislip to South Ruislip

HTH,

Barry

That's great.

Thanks

Old February 28th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Anon" wrote in message
The new Freedom pass does not have the pre-pay facility. As you say some
people travel before 09.00 so it would be helpful for this to be enabled.

would suggest requesting this but who from I do not know maybe oyster
helpline or maybe the local authority who issued it.

Thanks, I will try and give it a go - not holding out much hope but it does
seem sensible to enable pre-pay on Freedom Passes

As it is a smatcard they can be made valid for however long. In the past
there were a lot of illegally used freedom passes and very little chance

of
stopping them. This system means that as soon as a card is lost or stolen

it
can be stopped from working the gates.

Finally if you want your Father to have free travel all the time ask for a
disabled freedom pass.

I can't seem to find the criteria that "entitles" one to a disabled freedom
pass?

Do you know if its online somewhere (or do they just give it to anyone who
asks!)?

Though, I can see my father disagreeing with this course of action as I
imagine he doesn't think of himself as disabled and would therefore object
on principle applying for such a card, as he woudnt believe he was
entitled to it (unless the criteria that I can't find say...)

Regards
Sunil

Old February 28th 04, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Sunil Sood wrote:
Finally if you want your Father to have free travel all the time ask for a
disabled freedom pass.

I can't seem to find the criteria that "entitles" one to a disabled freedom
pass?

It's automatic if you're on the highest rate of the mobility component
of DLA, or if you're registered blind.

See http://freedompass.org/

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.