Old January 11th 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster and pre pay

Is there a difference between Oyster and pre pay (or oyster pre pay)?
Does exist an Oyster that allows to travel without paying in advance?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am italian so I don't know well
London transport system.
Thanks.

Old January 11th 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Aglians
writes
Is there a difference between Oyster and pre pay (or oyster pre pay)?
Does exist an Oyster that allows to travel without paying in advance?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am italian so I don't know well
London transport system.
Thanks.

Generally there's nothing that allows you to travel without paying in
advance, except under special circumstances which would be dealt with by
the supervisor at the station concerned.

I don't think that's exactly what you meant though.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 11th 04, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Aglians" wrote in message
Is there a difference between Oyster and pre pay (or oyster pre pay)?
Does exist an Oyster that allows to travel without paying in advance?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am italian so I don't know well
London transport system.
Thanks.

Oyster is the name given to the electronic card system. Oyster Cards can
contain different types of tickets

You can buy 'Season' tickets (tickets for several days of travel) and put
them onto the card.

Or you can buy normal Single, Return & day travelcard tickets and use them
on the same day.
With this option you can use 'Pre-Pay' where you load the card with a
certain amount of money, and it deducts money from the card to 'buy' the
ticket without you having to visit a machine or the ticket office every
time.

If you are just visiting London for a day or so then it may be better just
to buy old card tickets for a single, return or day travelcard from a
ticketoffice rather than use Oyster.

Colin

Old January 11th 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:47:04 +0000, Kat wrote:

I don't think that's exactly what you meant though.

I think the OP may have been referring to a Direct Debit billing scheme,
with payment after use. As yet there is no such thing - but I wouldn't
rule it out in the future - though there may be implementation
difficulties as the 'key' information (credit, journeys) is AIUI stored on
the card rather than centrally.

Neil

Old January 11th 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Neil
Williams writes
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:47:04 +0000, Kat wrote:

I don't think that's exactly what you meant though.

I think the OP may have been referring to a Direct Debit billing scheme,
with payment after use. As yet there is no such thing - but I wouldn't
rule it out in the future - though there may be implementation
difficulties as the 'key' information (credit, journeys) is AIUI stored on
the card rather than centrally.

Oh, I see.
But that wouldn't be much use to someone using the system for a short
time. Do you know if there's a transport system anywhere that uses such
for its ticketing?
The only similar thing I can think of is the system used on the Express
Toll Route in Toronto (and elsewhere, no doubt) where the licence plate
is recognised, trips logged and you are billed once a month.
(And it's cheaper if you lease a transponder)
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 11th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" If you are just visiting London for a day or so then it may be better
just
to buy old card tickets for a single, return or day travelcard from a
ticketoffice rather than use Oyster.

Colin

Thank You, Colin.
You answered all my questions!
Thanks to Kat and Neil too!
Have a nice day.

Old January 12th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Colin wrote:

"Aglians" wrote in message
Is there a difference between Oyster and pre pay (or oyster pre pay)?

Oyster is the name given to the electronic card system [...] you can buy
normal Single, Return & day travelcard tickets and use them on the same
day.

Day travelcards?

With this option you can use 'Pre-Pay' where you load the card with a
certain amount of money, and it deducts money from the card to 'buy' the
ticket without you having to visit a machine or the ticket office every
time.

AIUI, you will only effectively get day travelcards on pre-pay when
capping is brought in in march. At present, it's only singles.

Or am i wrong?

tom

--
eviscerated by obfuscation

Old January 12th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Aglians" wrote in message
Is there a difference between Oyster and pre pay (or oyster pre pay)?

Oyster is the name given to the electronic card system [...] you can buy
normal Single, Return & day travelcard tickets and use them on the same
day.

Day travelcards?

With this option you can use 'Pre-Pay' where you load the card with a
certain amount of money, and it deducts money from the card to 'buy' the
ticket without you having to visit a machine or the ticket office every
time.

AIUI, you will only effectively get day travelcards on pre-pay when
capping is brought in in march. At present, it's only singles.

Or am i wrong?

tom

--
eviscerated by obfuscation

AFAIK if you use more than a few Pre-Pay singles in a day it will convert
them to a travelcard & reimburse you anything over that you have paid.

Colin

Old January 12th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin" wrote in message

AIUI, you will only effectively get day travelcards on pre-pay when
capping is brought in in march. At present, it's only singles.

Or am i wrong?

AFAIK if you use more than a few Pre-Pay singles in a day it will convert
them to a travelcard & reimburse you anything over that you have paid.

It will do that at some point in the future but at the moment it will just
charge for each individual journey.

Peter Smyth

Old January 15th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:46:58 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

AFAIK if you use more than a few Pre-Pay singles in a day it will convert
them to a travelcard & reimburse you anything over that you have paid.

Not as of yet - possibly March?

This will come later and has been discussed here in other threads.

Cheers,

Jason.