Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 22nd 15, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default London's Great Northern Hotel

So, last weekend was our wedding anniversary. Rather than struggle
back to the South Coast late Saturday night, I booked us a room at the
Great Northern Hotel. For any that might find a rail related hotel
review here goes:
Pros: The restoration job is beautiful. It has been tastefully
accomplished using quality materials. Our room was beautifully
finished with an inlaid carpet, in a wood surround. Our bathroom
floor was tiled. The plumbing in our room was excellent with ample
hot water.

The electrics in our room were especially impressive. There were
plenty of lamps, the main one being on a dimmer. Moreover, there are
more than sufficient 13 amp outlets. We have stayed in hotels were we
needed to move the bed in order for me to plug in my CPAP machine. No
such problem at the Great Northern. Our room had its own thermostat.

The bed was a (UK) King-size (US Queen). But it was very comfortable.

The staff were polite and helpful to a fault. Perhaps most surprising
was the complete absence of noise. We were after all at Kings Cross
Station!

Cons: The complimentary breakfast was close to non-existent. The
Spilt Milk and Plum Restaurant was not available, to hotel guests,
having been booked for a function. So we had to use the pantry
adjacent to our room. There was bread, not even a croissant or bagel.
The selection of fruits was green apples and red apples. There was
one cake.

Expresso and tea were available in abundance, :-)

This may be a good choice for someone visiting London, it could hardly
be more convenient for transportation. And, before the UK language
police start havering and whining misc.transport.urban-transit is an
intrnational group.