Old November 26th 15, 09:05 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default London's Great Northern Hotel

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 08:33:23 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 03:58:34 on
Mon, 23 Nov 2015, Charles Ellson remarked:
Having said that it was an interesting description. He did make a good
point about having adequate power sockets in usable positions,
especially when it comes to people who need some sort of medical
technology, something the average trip advisor review tends to overlook.

Yes, that was a good point. One thing he didn't mention was whether it has
multi-standard electric sockets, useful for a hotel right next to an
international station. Some modern international hotels have sockets that
will take UK, US and Continental plugs.

IIRC he specifically mentioned 13 amp.

He did, but I wondered if they might have been multi-standard, though I
suppose he might have mentioned that he could plug his US stuff in if they
were.

Would UK building regs allow that?

They (multi-standard outlets) are generally described as illegal in
the UK unlike e.g. other single-standard foreign outlets for which
IIRC it is only required that they are wired and constructed to
provide the same degree of safety; ISTR seeing Schuko outlets in use
somewhere in the past where they would have been in plain view of any
H+S inspector.

The large hotel across the road from New Scotland Yard had either US or
European sockets (I forget which) when I stayed there for a conference
about eight years ago.

Ah, this is what they say today:

"All rooms are en-suite and feature a mix of sumptuous fabrics,
LCD TV entertainment systems, MP3 docking stations, wired and
wireless internet, multi-national electrical sockets and White
Company products."

One wonders if this includes flat blade US sockets at the correct
voltage.

IMHO, a US "style" socket, at European voltage is very dangerous and
should never be allowed.

Old November 26th 15, 09:20 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:05:10 on
Thu, 26 Nov 2015, e27002 aurora remarked:

The large hotel across the road from New Scotland Yard had either US or
European sockets (I forget which) when I stayed there for a conference
about eight years ago.

Ah, this is what they say today:

"All rooms are en-suite and feature a mix of sumptuous fabrics,
LCD TV entertainment systems, MP3 docking stations, wired and
wireless internet, multi-national electrical sockets and White
Company products."

One wonders if this includes flat blade US sockets at the correct
voltage.

IMHO, a US "style" socket, at European voltage is very dangerous and
should never be allowed.

When I stayed there it must have had at least US sockets, because now
you mention it I recall a transformer box hidden behind the desk.