Old February 22nd 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Baron's Tree

Wheee, what a fun Sunday afternoon!

Got on the Piccadilly Line at 3pm on Sunday, dragging luggage,
intending to travel to Acton Town and change to the District Line to
go to Richmond. Wrong.

First issue was after I passed through the gateline to get something
to drink. I turned around and saw that all District Line services were
suspended between Acton Town and Earl's Court. Oh joy. I hung around
Acton Town for an hour, until finally I gave up waiting for a bus and
got back onto the platform, where increasing numbers of people were
waiting for a train - by this time eastbound Piccadilly Line services
were suspended between Acton Town and Hyde Park Corner. Wheeeeee.

So I hung around the eastbound island platform for about half an hour
until finally, eastbound Piccadilly Line services were restored. So I
hopped onto the first train and went to Hammersmith, where I
discovered that now ALL District Line services were suspended. So it
was off to the bus station and a 33 bus to Richmond, along with a long
walk home.

Did anyone get photos of the sixty-foot tree responsible for all this
mayhem?

Brad

Old February 22nd 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately not, though I saw the said tree from the western end of
Barons Court platform. It apparently toppled over on to the eastbound
District track at lunchtime on Sunday. I saw it at around 14:30, when
Piccadilly trains were passing the site slowly while men with chainsaws
were cutting up the tree over the adjacent District track. I was told
that some Piccadilly trains were using the District tracks between
Hammersmith and Acton Town to provide a service to District stations,
but that wouldn't really have helped you to get to Richmond.
--
Richard J.

Old February 23rd 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
TheOneKEA wrote:
[...]

No, it wouldn't - the entire westbound District Line was clear from
Acton Town to Hammersmith as it was. The eastbound was choked with
platform-stabled trains , all of which were shut down - the Picadilly
I was on stopped at both Turnham Green and Ravenscourt Park to provide
an eastbound service.

I asked District Dave about this, but since he was off work today and
wasn't driving a train, he doesn't know anything about it.

Brad
Old February 23rd 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:

First issue was after I passed through the gateline to get something
to drink.

Off-topic, but I welcome the long-overdue appearance of drink machines
on tube platforms.

Much more useful than bloody Snickers.

Burglar jailed for 18 months, after delaying 783 trains while up a tree Recliner[_2_] London Transport 4 October 1st 14 01:03 PM
Tree bash Roland Perry London Transport 22 December 25th 13 09:39 AM
Slightly OT - the Traffic Light Tree at Heron Quays Circus Basil Jet[_2_] London Transport 6 December 20th 11 06:41 PM
Bus hits tree Boltar London Transport 35 May 21st 08 05:53 PM
Tree lights John Rowland London Transport 3 March 19th 07 08:30 PM