Old December 20th 13, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tree bash

Not the first I think (previous one was perhaps 7-8 years ago not that
far away in south London).

Old December 21st 13, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/12/2013 22:16, Roland Perry wrote:
Not the first I think (previous one was perhaps 7-8 years ago not that
far away in south London).

May 2008, when a 188 bus hit overhanging tree branch or branches on
Tower Bridge Road, bringing some down onto the adjacent pavement killing
a passing pedestrian:

Old December 21st 13, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote on 20 December 2013 22:16:19 ...
Not the first I think (previous one was perhaps 7-8 years ago not that
far away in south London).

The previous tree bash that I remember was in Tower Bridge Road in 2008,
when a passing pedestrian was killed by a falling branch. In that case,
the tree was leaning over the carriageway, and there were concerns about
similar leaning trees all over London.

This latest crash looks quite different. Reports say that the bus
swerved to avoid a car. It then ran off the road and collided head-on
with the tree. As far as I can see the whole width of the trunk ended
up inside the bus.
--
Richard J.
Old December 21st 13, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:55:37 on Sat, 21 Dec
2013, Richard J. remarked:

The previous tree bash that I remember was in Tower Bridge Road in
2008, when a passing pedestrian was killed by a falling branch. In
that case, the tree was leaning over the carriageway, and there were
concerns about similar leaning trees all over London.

This tree also seems to be leaning into the road, and not in a way that
looks as if it could have been caused by the bash.

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...ATES/s2197/Mai
n-Bus-Crash-2946066.jpg

Reports say that the bus swerved to avoid a car.

At least one says it swerved to avoid an emergency vehicle.

Old December 21st 13, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:55:37 +0000
"Richard J." wrote:
Roland Perry wrote on 20 December 2013 22:16:19 ...
Not the first I think (previous one was perhaps 7-8 years ago not that
far away in south London).

The previous tree bash that I remember was in Tower Bridge Road in 2008,
when a passing pedestrian was killed by a falling branch. In that case,
the tree was leaning over the carriageway, and there were concerns about
similar leaning trees all over London.

This latest crash looks quite different. Reports say that the bus
swerved to avoid a car. It then ran off the road and collided head-on
with the tree. As far as I can see the whole width of the trunk ended
up inside the bus.

Sadly I'm not surprised this bus driver lost control. I've been using buses 2
or 3 times a week for the last few months and the standard of bus driving
varies from ok to bloody appalling and with most drivers not giving a flying
**** whether people are still climbing the stairs as they floor the throttle
and swerve off into the road.

--
Spud

Old December 21st 13, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The amount of damage is quite appalling, it would be interesting to see how fast the bus was going at the moment of impact. But then, buses don't exactly have crumple zones.

Neill

Old December 21st 13, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It was a bad week for bus crashes. Or was it a good week?
Old December 22nd 13, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:27:51 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
Clearly until there is an outcome from the investigation all of that
is speculation as is allocating "blame" to the bus driver when he was
not the person that triggered the events that caused the collision
with the tree.

Unless the tree jumped in front of his bus then he has to share part of the
blame. No competent driver is going to avoid hitting a car just to drive into
a tree instead.

--
Spud