London Banter

-   -   Thought I'd give the ELL another try (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14671-thought-id-give-ell-another.html)

[email protected] December 4th 15 08:54 AM

Thought I'd give the ELL another try

Having been criticised on here for saying the service was poor and not well
used from Highbury I decided to give it another go. So at 8.45 I arrived on
the platform to have the driver shut the doors in my face even though he
could see me running down the stairs. Waited for next train which was already
running late and ELEVEN minutes later we finally left with a train 50% full
when it used to be crush loading from Highbury when I used it regularly. Then
it pottered along at a snails pace all the way to Canada Water.

So I stand by what I said - the service on this line is pathetic and it has
clearly been abandoned by a large number of commuters.

--
Spud

eastender[_5_] December 4th 15 09:19 AM

On 2015-12-04 09:54:47 +0000, d said:

Having been criticised on here for saying the service was poor and not well
used from Highbury I decided to give it another go. So at 8.45 I arrived on
the platform to have the driver shut the doors in my face even though he
could see me running down the stairs. Waited for next train which was already
running late and ELEVEN minutes later we finally left with a train 50% full
when it used to be crush loading from Highbury when I used it regularly. Then
it pottered along at a snails pace all the way to Canada Water.

So I stand by what I said - the service on this line is pathetic and it has
clearly been abandoned by a large number of commuters.

The service from Highbury runs at 7 or 8 min intevals at that time and
if not there must have been disruption.

If you were there at 8.45 the next train is 8.49. So I think you missed
that or the 8.41.

You seem to expect a train at the terminus to be fully loaded - I doubt
this is the case on many routes.

The fact is that passenger journeys have nearly tripled on the
Overground since 2010.

E.

Mizter T December 4th 15 09:38 AM

On 2015-12-04 09:54:47 +0000, d said:
[...]
So I stand by what I said - the service on this line is pathetic and
it has clearly been abandoned by a large number of commuters.

The service from Highbury runs at 7 or 8 min intevals at that time and
if not there must have been disruption.

If you were there at 8.45 the next train is 8.49. So I think you missed
that or the 8.41.

You seem to expect a train at the terminus to be fully loaded - I doubt
this is the case on many routes.

The fact is that passenger journeys have nearly tripled on the
Overground since 2010.

Whatever you say it won't matter, Spud has made up his mind. The fact
that other people's observations vary from his is irrelevant.

I'm a regular user of the line and I find it very well patronised (and
appreciated) by its users.

[email protected] December 4th 15 09:51 AM

Thought I'd give the ELL another try

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 10:19:36 +0000
On 2015-12-04 09:54:47 +0000, d said:

Having been criticised on here for saying the service was poor and not well
used from Highbury I decided to give it another go. So at 8.45 I arrived on
the platform to have the driver shut the doors in my face even though he
could see me running down the stairs. Waited for next train which was already
running late and ELEVEN minutes later we finally left with a train 50% full
when it used to be crush loading from Highbury when I used it regularly. Then
it pottered along at a snails pace all the way to Canada Water.

So I stand by what I said - the service on this line is pathetic and it has
clearly been abandoned by a large number of commuters.

The service from Highbury runs at 7 or 8 min intevals at that time and
if not there must have been disruption.

Well there were no announcements about disruption either on the station or
by the driver. So either they couldn't be arsed or its now so common they
don't think its worth the bother of mentioning it.

If you were there at 8.45 the next train is 8.49. So I think you missed
that or the 8.41.

No idea. That doesn't change the fact it was an 11 min wait.

You seem to expect a train at the terminus to be fully loaded - I doubt
this is the case on many routes.

It used to be fully loaded back in 2014. Often people couldn't get on at
Dalston Junction.

The fact is that passenger journeys have nearly tripled on the
Overground since 2010.

Fascinating. Not sure how that relates to the ELL at Highbury which didn't
open until 2011.

--
Spud

[email protected] December 4th 15 09:51 AM

Thought I'd give the ELL another try

On 2015-12-04 09:54:47 +0000, d said:
[...]
So I stand by what I said - the service on this line is pathetic and
it has clearly been abandoned by a large number of commuters.

The service from Highbury runs at 7 or 8 min intevals at that time and
if not there must have been disruption.

If you were there at 8.45 the next train is 8.49. So I think you missed
that or the 8.41.

You seem to expect a train at the terminus to be fully loaded - I doubt
this is the case on many routes.

The fact is that passenger journeys have nearly tripled on the
Overground since 2010.

Whatever you say it won't matter, Spud has made up his mind. The fact
that other people's observations vary from his is irrelevant.

I'm a regular user of the line and I find it very well patronised (and
appreciated) by its users.

Regular user from where?

--
Spud

eastender[_5_] December 4th 15 10:23 AM

On 2015-12-04 10:51:28 +0000, d said:

It used to be fully loaded back in 2014. Often people couldn't get on at
Dalston Junction.

What time? People get to work early in the City. I doubt you'd see
major crowding going south at about 9 am.

There have been some peak standing studies - it's going north to
Highbury that's worse but this study was done a while ago. Other
crowding looks to be coming from south towards Canada Water.

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2...on-overground/

E.

[email protected] December 4th 15 10:40 AM

Thought I'd give the ELL another try

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:23:57 +0000
On 2015-12-04 10:51:28 +0000, d said:

It used to be fully loaded back in 2014. Often people couldn't get on at
Dalston Junction.

What time? People get to work early in the City. I doubt you'd see
major crowding going south at about 9 am.

8.30-9 roughly.

There have been some peak standing studies - it's going north to
Highbury that's worse but this study was done a while ago. Other
crowding looks to be coming from south towards Canada Water.

Canada water has a problem because the jubilee line trains are crush loaded
in the morning rush hour so people simply can't get on and if 2 ELL trains
unload at the same time its game over. I've seen the jubilee platforms full on
a number of occasions.

--
Spud

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] December 5th 15 04:01 AM

In message , d wrote:
If you were there at 8.45 the next train is 8.49. So I think you missed
that or the 8.41.

No idea. That doesn't change the fact it was an 11 min wait.

Exactly what day was this? Perhaps someone can look on RTT and see what
actually happened.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

[email protected] December 7th 15 12:16 PM

Thought I'd give the ELL another try

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:01:01 +0000
"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:
In message , d wrote:
If you were there at 8.45 the next train is 8.49. So I think you missed
that or the 8.41.

No idea. That doesn't change the fact it was an 11 min wait.

Exactly what day was this? Perhaps someone can look on RTT and see what
actually happened.

The day I made the original post. Wed or thu, can't remember. I heard on the
travel the ELL had yet more issues today from Highbury. Glad I wasn't on it.

--
Spud