Old January 1st 16, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

In message , at 14:11:06 on
Fri, 1 Jan 2016, e27002 aurora remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military, but not the sort of roles you
mention. I don't think people can even keep a title like "Professor"
unless elected to one of the few Emeritus Professorships.

Old January 1st 16, 01:53 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 14:29:10 +0000, Robert

On 2016-01-01 12:05:50 +0000, e27002 aurora said:

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 11:32:56 +0000, Robert

On 2016-01-01 10:59:02 +0000, e27002 aurora said:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 04:37:11 -0600,
wrote:

In fact the creation of new names in modern times has been pretty
unimaginative. Look at those created in my lifetime, Victoria, Jubilee
(originally Fleet), Hammersmith & City and Crossrail. I think that Fleet
would have been a better name, especially as there have been 2 more jubilees
since Horace Cutler decided on the name.

Victoria is a fine name for a fine piece of infrastructure. It is of
the few good things to come out of the 1960s.

Apart from the Beatles, Alexis Korner and the Rolling Stones...

One is not sure encouraging indolence, rebellion, and the use of
health harming substances was an altogether good thing.

I knew you would reply along those lines - it's predictable! As for
indolence! The Rolling Stones are still strutting their stuff and they
are over 70..

ill you still be doing world tours at their age?

That is only a few years away for me. I may still be doing IT
contracts. Location is always where the work is.

Better, IMHO, if the New Elizabethan period was known for the music
Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Why? Good music is good music, whatever the genre.

Let's see what passes the test of time. I concede the Beatles show
signs of doing just that.

The name Jubilee, as I am sure you are aware, long predates its
British utilization. Better than name the route after a sewer.

The word 'Fleet' (also written as 'Fleth') in old lower German means a
small watercourse running into a larger river - it has nothing
whatsoever to do with sewers. The word is still used for streams
running into the Weser and Elbe in northern Germany and derives from
'fließen' - meaning 'to flow'.

The word was brought to England by peoples originating from, and
trading with, their homelands in that part of the world. And its
etymology shows that it derives from yet older lndo-European languages
- so probably just as old as 'Jubilee'.

Understood Robert. However, in London, the stream that starts @ the
pools of Hampstead and Highgate and flows to the Thames @ Blackfriars
is best remembered as the Fleet Sewer. Ione assumes it is now clean
again.

Hammersmith and City is an artificial renaming of part of the
Metropolitan, and is very awkward.

Er, the Hammersmith & City Railway (H&CR) was financed jointly by the
GWR and the Metropolitain Railway and opened in 1864. There is nothing
artificial about it.

Point taken. When I lived in London 40 years back, the H&C was simply
part of the Met. If TfL want to maintain the GWR connection how about
helping the longsuffering passengers and restoring the cross-platform
interchange at Paddington. Before the issue of crossing the 3rd and
4th rail tracks comes up, that could be avoided with a long single
track from Royal Oak to platform 16.

Have you heard about Crossrail? Many passengers to and from stations on
the GW main line will no longer have to change trains at all.

Point largely taken. But gWr will still be running trains on the
reliefs. An easy interchange for the Marylebone Euston Road alignment
would not go amiss. This is not something I expect to happen of
course.

Who knows what the completed Crossrail will be called. Meanwhile
Crossrail is not bad.

Crossrail.

BTW, why not disagree without being disagreeable. I would be the
first to admit to learning a great deal from you posts. I have no
reason to wish to offend. Calling me predictable because my tastes
are know is not needed. Happy 2016 to you.

Old January 1st 16, 02:28 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:
Why? Good music is good music, whatever the genre.

Let's see what passes the test of time. I concede the Beatles show
signs of doing just that.

The Beatles were just the first boy band with all the accompanying hysteria.
Once all the baby boomers have shuffled off this mortal coil they'll just
just another name in the musical history books. I doubt many people under the
age of 60 actually listens to them on a regular basis.

--
Spud

Old January 1st 16, 04:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:11:06 on
Fri, 1 Jan 2016, e27002 aurora remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military, but not the sort of roles you
mention. I don't think people can even keep a title like "Professor"
unless elected to one of the few Emeritus Professorships.

At most UK universities, professors are commonly given an Emeritus title
when they retire...

--
Jeremy Double

Old January 1st 16, 04:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message

t, at 17:01:31 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Jeremy Double
remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military, but not the sort of roles you
mention. I don't think people can even keep a title like "Professor"
unless elected to one of the few Emeritus Professorships.

At most UK universities, professors are commonly given an Emeritus title
when they retire...

Yes, there are many around, but how automatic is it.

nb. To be a UK Professor requires one to be in effect head of a
department, the USA-ians apply the term much more widely I think.
Old January 1st 16, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 01/01/2016 14:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:11:06 on
Fri, 1 Jan 2016, e27002 aurora remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military,

Military rule used to be, don't know if it still is, that retired
officer's of the rank of Major and above[1] could retain the use of the
title as an honorary rank in retirement.

[1] And equivalents in the other services.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old January 1st 16, 05:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 17:52:07 +0000, Roland Perry put
finger to keyboard and typed:

In message

t, at 17:01:31 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Jeremy Double
remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military, but not the sort of roles you
mention. I don't think people can even keep a title like "Professor"
unless elected to one of the few Emeritus Professorships.

At most UK universities, professors are commonly given an Emeritus title
when they retire...

Yes, there are many around, but how automatic is it.

It's not automatic at all. Here are a couple of (Googled at random)
descriptions of the process:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/hr/guide...rofessors.aspx
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/humrs/staff...procedure.html

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com
Old January 1st 16, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 17:59:46 +0000, Graeme Wall
put finger to keyboard and typed:

On 01/01/2016 14:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:11:06 on
Fri, 1 Jan 2016, e27002 aurora remarked:

Not a councillor since 2014. I'm just a pensioner these days.

So, under the UK tradition you do not retain the title after your term
in office?

US tradition is slightly more familiar to me. Certain titles,
President, Congressman, Judge, remain with the holder after his term

It seems to happen in the ex-military,

Military rule used to be, don't know if it still is, that retired
officer's of the rank of Major and above[1] could retain the use of the
title as an honorary rank in retirement.

[1] And equivalents in the other services.

Captain and above, according to Debrett's:

http://www.debretts.com/forms-addres...ormer-officers

A well-known fictional example, at least to UK readers, is Captain Peacock
from "Are You being Served?".

Mark
Old January 1st 16, 08:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Roland Perry" wrote

At most UK universities, professors are commonly given an Emeritus title
when they retire...

Yes, there are many around, but how automatic is it.

nb. To be a UK Professor requires one to be in effect head of a

department, the USA-ians apply the term much more widely I think.

Not so for the UK now - check Imperial College Physics Department for
example and indeed in 1968 York Physics Department had two.

Of course if you have handfuls of FRS and Nobel prize winners, not giving
them all the title is hardly likely.

The Americans would say (Full Professor) and we used to say Professor (and
Head of Department).

--
Mike D