Old January 6th 16, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster outage

On 06/01/2016 08:34, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 23:29:07 on Tue, 5 Jan 2016,
Mizter T remarked:

The free travel ended at 0430 1st Jan and there weren't any reports
of problems yesterday.

That's a good point. I was expecting the free travel to have been
all day on the 1st.

Why? It's been 2345 NYE to 0430 NYD for years and years and years.

With the railway day ending at 4.30am I'd expect that to be called a
New Years Eve free travel period, not a NYD one.

Which is exactly what it is called!

Two posters from years gone by...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teflon/340944897/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/5289677163/

KAYAK sponsored it this year...
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2015/december/free-travel-this-new-year-s-e

A rather better sponsor than Wonga.com, who sponsored it a few years ago
- I think they were a rather late entry, nodded through by Boris, who
then quite rightly was the recipient of some harsh criticism for it.
Grubby company, grubby business.

Old January 7th 16, 06:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, Recliner wrote:
Oyster is far too recent for the designers to
have been trying to save microscopic amounts of memory.

Rubbish. In my job we're *still* worrying about every single byte, even
on brand new chips.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old January 7th 16, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message , Wed, 6
Jan 2016 08:31:20, Roland Perry posted:

In message , at 11:21:09 on Tue, 5
Jan 2016, Peter CS remarked:

During a particularly wearisome Y2K fix job one of my team remarked that
we'd better allow for 5-digit years or we'd have to do the whole thing
again in 8000 years' time.

Roll on 2038, or have they fixed that yet?

Some of them will; some will not.

Before that, we have D100K of the UK Gregorian Calendar, in a little
over 1.05 decades from now.

And, in 2028, many in the USA may be caught unawares as that year
contains 54 Sun..Sat calendar weeks or parts thereof, for the first time
in the Third Millennium.

And 2^32 seconds from the base date of ICL George 3 (and other systems)
comes in early February 2036.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.