London Banter

-   -   Another spelling mistake on the Tube (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14754-another-spelling-mistake-tube.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] January 21st 16 07:59 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3162136.html

Is this a new sign? I know there's been work going on there, but why did
it need a new sign?

eastender[_5_] January 21st 16 10:28 PM

On 2016-01-21 20:59:28 +0000, Basil Jet said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3162136.html

Is this a new sign? I know there's been work going on there, but why
did it need a new sign?

This one at Highbury always amuses me:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/23901196183/

E.

Mizter T January 22nd 16 04:01 PM

On 21/01/2016 20:59, Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3162136.html

Is this a new sign? I know there's been work going on there, but why did
it need a new sign?

Guessing... because the old one was poxy and covered with patches?

Basil Jet[_4_] January 22nd 16 04:16 PM

On 2016\01\22 17:01, Mizter T wrote:

On 21/01/2016 20:59, Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3162136.html

Is this a new sign? I know there's been work going on there, but why did
it need a new sign?

Guessing... because the old one was poxy and covered with patches?

A few years before Crossrail opens is not the time to change them.
Unless it's got Crossrail on it... has it?

[email protected] January 22nd 16 06:17 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

Another mistake, but not a spelling one. A recent-ish sign on the end of the main station building at Coulsdon South lists various bus services including the 405 to Horley, Merstham and Redhill. I assume they mean Hooley, the 405 doesn't go anywhere near Horley.

Offramp January 23rd 16 12:54 PM

On 2016-01-21 20:59:28 +0000, Basil Jet said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3162136.html

Is this a new sign? I know there's been work going on there, but why
did it need a new sign?

This one at Highbury always amuses me:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/23901196183/

I'm normally a crack-shot at spelling mistakes but I can't see that one.

Basil Jet[_4_] January 23rd 16 01:09 PM

On 2016-01-21 20:59:28 +0000, Basil Jet said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3162136.html

Is this a new sign? I know there's been work going on there, but why
did it need a new sign?

This one at Highbury always amuses me:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49435266@N05/23901196183/

I'm normally a crack-shot at spelling mistakes but I can't see that one.

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Offramp January 23rd 16 02:21 PM

On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:09:49 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Yes, very well spotted. You are right.

Jarle Hammen Knudsen January 23rd 16 11:51 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 20:02:10 +0000, "Richard J."
wrote:

My Collins dictionary includes the use of 'alternate' to mean
'alternative' as one of the ten meanings of 'alternate', and it doesn't
mark it as only applying to American English. It was published in 1984.
I think you've missed the boat on this one.

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary has the alternative meaning
listed as "especially North American English".

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...rner/alternate

--
jhk

tim..... January 24th 16 10:36 AM

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:09:49 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Yes, very well spotted. You are right.

I got it

but only because I couldn't see anything else wrong and I thought it a bit
picky

Basil Jet[_4_] January 24th 16 10:45 AM

On 2016\01\24 11:36, tim..... wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:09:49 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Yes, very well spotted. You are right.

I got it

but only because I couldn't see anything else wrong and I thought it a
bit picky

Same here. I wouldn't see anything wrong if I saw the sign in real life.
Internet use makes it impossible to keep British English and American
English distinct in my head.

eastender[_5_] January 24th 16 11:33 AM

On 2016-01-24 11:36:02 +0000, tim..... said:

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:09:49 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Yes, very well spotted. You are right.

I got it

but only because I couldn't see anything else wrong and I thought it a
bit picky

The debasement of our language by Americans a 'bit picky'?

You'll be 'reaching out' soon.

E.

Basil Jet[_4_] January 24th 16 11:49 AM

e27002 aurora January 24th 16 11:56 AM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:33:55 +0000, eastender

On 2016-01-24 11:36:02 +0000, tim..... said:

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:09:49 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:

Although "alternate" is used in America as an, er, alternative to
alternative, here in Britain "alternate route" implies that you should
use one route the first, third and fifth times and use the other the
second, fourth and sixth times.

Yes, very well spotted. You are right.

I got it

but only because I couldn't see anything else wrong and I thought it a
bit picky

The debasement of our language by Americans a 'bit picky'?

Of course English has never been debased in the East End. :-)

You'll be 'reaching out' soon.

E.

[email protected] January 24th 16 12:14 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

Internet use makes it impossible to keep British English and
American English distinct in my head.

That problem has been around since the rise of Hollywood.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

eastender[_5_] January 24th 16 12:34 PM

eastender[_5_] January 24th 16 12:36 PM

wrote:

but only because I couldn't see anything else wrong and I thought it a
bit picky

The debasement of our language by Americans a 'bit picky'?

Do you get concerned that the passenger vehicles on the Underground
are called Cars rather than Carriages?

We've had railway cars since the 19th century (dining cars, Pullman etc.)

The use of alternate instead of alternative on a public sign is not
current British English and hopefully won't be.

E.

Roland Perry January 24th 16 01:21 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

In message , at 11:45:50 on Sun, 24 Jan
2016, Basil Jet remarked:

Internet use makes it impossible to keep British English and American
English distinct in my head.

Here's one I heard the other day in a transport context:

Q: Do you mind if I drive your car
A: Yes (and an implied 'so go ahead')

Whereas in British English it would probably mean "yes I do mind, please
don't even think about sitting in the driving seat".

Offramp January 24th 16 03:06 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

e27002 aurora January 24th 16 03:26 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 08:06:28 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

Almost as bad as "Have got" when "Have" is sufficient.

Offramp January 24th 16 03:44 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

Here is another odd Americanism:

Q: Have you got a pencil sharpener?

A: No, I don't.

Why? Why change the verb?

tim..... January 24th 16 04:47 PM

"Offramp" wrote in message
One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I
get...[etc]?"

I really REALLY REALLY hate people saying "enjoy" as they put a plate of
food in front of me

tim

Jarle Hammen Knudsen January 24th 16 05:08 PM

wrote:

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

Can you explain that to a foreigner?

I've been using "Can i get..." when ordering beer. Should I say
something else?

--
jhk

Offramp January 24th 16 06:23 PM

On Sunday, 24 January 2016 17:47:08 UTC, tim..... wrote:

I really REALLY REALLY hate people saying "enjoy" as they put a plate of
food in front of me

That gets on my thingies as well! I was brought up to know that the sortest sentence in the Bible was "Jesus wept". Not, "Take this all of you. ENJOY!"

Clank January 24th 16 06:57 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

Paul Corfield wrote:

wrote:

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

Can you explain that to a foreigner?

I've been using "Can i get..." when ordering beer. Should I say
something else?

"Can I have a pint of ...... please?" or "A pint of .... please?" or
"I'd like a pint of ...... please?

Don't you just love the English language?

Someone will be along shortly to tell you all of my suggestions are
wrong!

That's why I didn't dare reply!

@Jarle: The reason is that grammar nazis will reply to "can I get..." with,
"Yes, I think you can. Not necessarily here of course. Did you want
anything from me?"

It is of course the kind of thing that makes you think that the answer to
the question "can they get laid" is a definitive no, which explains their
frustration.

eastender[_5_] January 24th 16 06:58 PM

wrote:

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

Can you explain that to a foreigner?

I've been using "Can i get..." when ordering beer. Should I say
something else?

"Can I have a pint of ...... please?" or "A pint of .... please?" or
"I'd like a pint of ...... please?

Don't you just love the English language?

Someone will be along shortly to tell you all of my suggestions are
wrong!

"Can I have a pint of bitter please?"

To which the answer is yes, you can.

E.

Richard J.[_3_] January 24th 16 07:02 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

eastender wrote on 24 Jan 2016 at 13:36 ...

[email protected] January 24th 16 07:56 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

In article 201601241958155246-email@domaincom,
(eastender) wrote:

"Can I have a pint of bitter please?"

To which the answer is yes, you can.

So you should ask "May I have a pint of bitter please?"

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T January 24th 16 10:08 PM

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/can-you-spot-the-spelling-blunder-on-this-northern-line-tube-sign-a3162136.html

Is this a new sign? I know there's been work going on there, but why did
it need a new sign?

Guessing... because the old one was poxy and covered with patches?

A few years before Crossrail opens is not the time to change them.
Unless it's got Crossrail on it... has it?

Well, you could always FOI them and ask why it was replaced, and in so
doing use up some more resources in the process...

Basil Jet[_4_] January 24th 16 10:17 PM

wrote:

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

Can you explain that to a foreigner?

I've been using "Can i get..." when ordering beer. Should I say
something else?

Historically "Can I get a beer" meant "Can I come to your side of the
counter and get the beer myself?" whereas "Can I have a beer" meant "Can
YOU get me a beer?"

But the usage has changed and "Can I get a beer" is now used commonly by
young English people, so you shouldn't worry about using it. It doesn't
make you sound foreign, it just makes you sound young.

Robin9 January 25th 16 08:07 AM

That misuse of "hopefully" is itself an American import! Proper
English is ". . not current British English and, let's hope, won't be".

John Ray[_4_] January 25th 16 12:51 PM

wrote:

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

Or a shop assistant asking me "Can I help you?" My normal response is
"I hope so."

--
John Ray

Recliner[_3_] January 26th 16 07:38 AM

wrote:

One that REALLY annoys me is customers in shops saying, "Can I get...[etc]?"

Can you explain that to a foreigner?

I've been using "Can i get..." when ordering beer. Should I say
something else?

"Can I have a pint of ...... please?" or "A pint of .... please?" or
"I'd like a pint of ...... please?

Don't you just love the English language?

Someone will be along shortly to tell you all of my suggestions are
wrong!

It's funny, I've just been on a couple of long Singapore Airlines flights,
and their charming cabin crews are obviously trained to start every
encounter with, "Sorry to keep you waiting, Mr Recliner...", even if you've
not been waiting at all. So, say, you order a Singapore Sling or a G&T,
they come back with it in a couple of minutes, and still apologise for
keeping you waiting. It seems very polite at first, but gets a bit
irritating after a while.

e27002 aurora January 26th 16 07:56 AM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

(eastender) wrote:

"Can I have a pint of bitter please?"

To which the answer is yes, you can.

So you should ask "May I have a pint of bitter please?"

That would certainly be my preferred form.

e27002 aurora January 26th 16 08:00 AM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 08:44:56 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

Here is another odd Americanism:

Q: Have you got a pencil sharpener?

A: No, I don't.

Why? Why change the verb?

So the got rot is setting in within those US. The proper form would
be:

Q: Have you a pencil sharpener?

OR: Do you have you a pencil sharpener?

A: A: No, I don't. (Implied "have").

Roland Perry January 26th 16 03:33 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

In message , at 16:12:33 on
Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:

It's funny, I've just been on a couple of long Singapore Airlines flights,
and their charming cabin crews are obviously trained to start every
encounter with, "Sorry to keep you waiting, Mr Recliner...", even if you've
not been waiting at all. So, say, you order a Singapore Sling or a G&T,
they come back with it in a couple of minutes, and still apologise for
keeping you waiting. It seems very polite at first, but gets a bit
irritating after a while.

Please don't take this the wrong way but the thought of a stewardess
saying "Mr Recliner" just made me laugh out loud.

It's obviously a cultural issue because I've only ever been addressed by
name on a small subset of Middle-East airlines.

It's the same in some airline lounges. Blink and your half full glass
and plate are whisked away as if this is what you wanted. All that
causes is waste and me being grumpy.

High end restaurants on land are also very bad about whisking away
un-empty glasses after you've ordered another. And that's when the
refill *costs* money. To such an extent that whenever I see a waiter
approaching with the refill I'll grab the un-empty glass to avoid them
confiscating it.

[email protected] January 26th 16 04:46 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 16:12:33 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
I know what you mean though - it is possible just to be too
deferential but given the wide range of people who fly it's almost
impossible to get it right. What we might find too polite will not be
sufficiently grovelling to some overblown celebrity or politician
flying first class.

It's the same in some airline lounges. Blink and your half full glass
and plate are whisked away as if this is what you wanted. All that
causes is waste and me being grumpy.

Don't fly first or business class then and you won't have that problem. You
can fly economy and wait in McDonalds like everyone else where you get to
choose when you throw your drinks carton away.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] January 26th 16 05:25 PM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 08:38:06 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

It's funny, I've just been on a couple of long Singapore Airlines flights,
and their charming cabin crews are obviously trained to start every
encounter with, "Sorry to keep you waiting, Mr Recliner...", even if you've
not been waiting at all. So, say, you order a Singapore Sling or a G&T,
they come back with it in a couple of minutes, and still apologise for
keeping you waiting. It seems very polite at first, but gets a bit
irritating after a while.

Please don't take this the wrong way but the thought of a stewardess
saying "Mr Recliner" just made me laugh out loud.

Even better, of course, is when she comes along just before we land,
saying, "Mr Recliner, please could you do me a favour and make your seat
upright".

I know what you mean though - it is possible just to be too
deferential but given the wide range of people who fly it's almost
impossible to get it right. What we might find too polite will not be
sufficiently grovelling to some overblown celebrity or politician
flying first class.

Yes, good point.

Recliner[_3_] January 26th 16 05:58 PM

Paul Corfield wrote:
I know what you mean though - it is possible just to be too
deferential but given the wide range of people who fly it's almost
impossible to get it right. What we might find too polite will not be
sufficiently grovelling to some overblown celebrity or politician
flying first class.

It's the same in some airline lounges. Blink and your half full glass
and plate are whisked away as if this is what you wanted. All that
causes is waste and me being grumpy.

Don't fly first or business class then and you won't have that problem. You
can fly economy and wait in McDonalds like everyone else where you get to
choose when you throw your drinks carton away.

I don't recall passing a McDonalds on the way to the business class lounges
in any airports. Do they offer a choice of gins in their G&Ts? Are the
towels fluffy in their showers? Are their armchairs comfortable?

[email protected] January 27th 16 08:31 AM

Another spelling mistake on the Tube

Paul Corfield wrote:
I know what you mean though - it is possible just to be too
deferential but given the wide range of people who fly it's almost
impossible to get it right. What we might find too polite will not be
sufficiently grovelling to some overblown celebrity or politician
flying first class.

It's the same in some airline lounges. Blink and your half full glass
and plate are whisked away as if this is what you wanted. All that
causes is waste and me being grumpy.

Don't fly first or business class then and you won't have that problem. You
can fly economy and wait in McDonalds like everyone else where you get to
choose when you throw your drinks carton away.

I don't recall passing a McDonalds on the way to the business class lounges
in any airports. Do they offer a choice of gins in their G&Ts? Are the

No, but they offer a select choice of chavs to remind you why its so nice to
get out of the UK occasionally.

--
Spud