Old February 6th 16, 05:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Bridge August 2016 to December 2017

My understanding is that trains to and from Cannon Street will only have two tracks available to them at London Bridge and there wouldn't be enough capacity if trains stopped at London Bridge. Hence they'll pass straight through instead. Whereas trains to and from Charing Cross will have three tracks available to them which does provide enough capacity to allow stopping.

However platforms 4-9 seem to be well on their way to completion and so why can't trains to and from Charing Cross use platforms 7-9 and trains to and From Cannon Street use platforms 4-6? This would mean that Charing Cross and Cannon Street services would both have three tracks available to them which would allow all services to stop at London Bridge.

Thanks

--

------------------------------
Globe Rowing Club

Old February 6th 16, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

zin92 wrote:

My understanding is that trains to and from Cannon Street will only
have two tracks available to them at London Bridge and there wouldn't
be enough capacity if trains stopped at London Bridge. Hence they'll
pass straight through instead. Whereas trains to and from Charing
Cross will have three tracks available to them which does provide
enough capacity to allow stopping.

However platforms 4-9 seem to be well on their way to completion and
so why can't trains to and from Charing Cross use platforms 7-9 and
trains to and From Cannon Street use platforms 4-6? This would mean
that Charing Cross and Cannon Street services would both have three
tracks available to them which would allow all services to stop at
London Bridge.

Thanks

Presumably because platforms 4-6 do not have any connection to Cannon
Street, only to Charing Cross or Blackfriars.

Peter Smyth
Old February 6th 16, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 6 February 2016 10:36:56 UTC, Peter Smyth wrote:
zin92 wrote:

[...]

Thanks Peter. According to page 88 of the below document (Stage 3 - High Level Station Works), Cannon Street can be reached from platforms 5 and 6:

http://www.infrarail.com/_downloads/...Thameslink.pdf

Regards

--

------------------------------
Old February 6th 16, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

zin92 wrote:

[...]

That's only a temporary connection while platforms 1-4 are (were?) being
rebuilt, and I assume it will have to be removed in order to connect
platforms 4-5 to Blackfriars. They need a minimum of 3 platforms available
to provide enough capacity for stopping services. The final layout will have
no connections between Cannon St and platforms 4-9.
--
DAS

Old February 7th 16, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

zin92 wrote:

[...]

I'm only talking about a temporary connection between platforms 4-6 and Cannon Street from August 216 to December 2017. During this time, there won't be any services to Blackfriars. I'm trying to understand why all three of platforms 4-6 can't be used for services to/from Cannon Street during this time thus enabling trains to stop at London Bridge.

Regards

Old February 7th 16, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

zin92 wrote:

[...]

Because "they" have decided that the ongoing cost of providing this
temporary link that you require is more than the cost of the inconvenience
to passengers caused by not providing it.

Don't forget that, apart from this inconvenience cost to the pax, there is
presumably the "real" cost to Network Rail of paying TfL for the alternative
use of the Underground by passengers who are so inconvenienced. The
wouldn't enter into this cost if it weren't the best option for them.

People who do re-building work "in situ" don't decide to close down current
routes willy-nilly, they do it because it's necessary (though sometimes for
reasons which non "professionals" don't understand).

tim

Old February 7th 16, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"zin92" wrote in message

http://www.infrarail.com/_downloads/...Thameslink.pdf

That's only a temporary connection while platforms 1-4 are (were?) being
rebuilt, and I assume it will have to be removed in order to connect
platforms 4-5 to Blackfriars. They need a minimum of 3 platforms
available
to provide enough capacity for stopping services. The final layout will
have
no connections between Cannon St and platforms 4-9.
--
DAS

I'm only talking about a temporary connection between platforms 4-6 and
Cannon Street from August 2016 to December 2017. During this time, there
won't
be any services to Blackfriars. I'm trying to understand why all three of
platforms 4-6 can't be used for services to/from Cannon Street during this
time
thus enabling trains to stop at London Bridge.

I don't know the precise detail, but any/all of the following would stop
this happening:

- the rail link to Blackfriars is almost certainly a complete removal of
what's there now and replacement with new kit. This takes time and work-site
access is required; it looks to me from the linked document like this is via
platforms 3-6, with Cannon St services running through platforms 1 & 2.
- There is also work required at the east end of the station to connect (not
just track, but also signallung) platforms 4-5 to the Bermondsey dive-under.
- the fact that a platform is visible on the surface doesn't mean there is
anything below it to handle passengers.

--
DAS

Old February 7th 16, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 6:49:10 AM UTC, zin92 wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that during the next phase, in which the Cannon Street lines are being reconfigured, the island platforms currently between 1 and 2, and 3 and 4, will be demolished. During this period the tracks past platforms 5 and 6 will be temporarily connected to the Cannon Street lines and platforms 7-9 made available for Charing Cross stopping services. If this is the case, track 4 will not be reinstated until the island platform is rebuilt and will become one of the up Cannon Street lines - note the realignment of this part of the station on page 93 of the report, showing an island platform between 2 and 3.

Roger