London Banter

-   -   Signs at Oxford Circus (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14778-signs-oxford-circus.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] February 8th 16 01:26 PM

Signs at Oxford Circus

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances at
the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Bryan Morris February 8th 16 02:00 PM

Signs at Oxford Circus

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances
at the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Photo & details
http://www.data-display.com/oxford-c...ground-station
--
Bryan Morris
Public Key http://www.pgp.uk.demon.net - 0xCC6237E9

Mizter T February 8th 16 06:16 PM

Signs at Oxford Circus

On 08/02/2016 15:00, Bryan Morris wrote:

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances
at the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Photo & details
http://www.data-display.com/oxford-c...ground-station

Clever stuff, but unfortunately I doubt it'll ever say 'just bloody walk
to another station you lazy gits' when Oxford Circus closes when it's
overcrowded.

(On a similar note, Tube strikes are bad news, but they do at least tend
to 'sort the mend from the boys'.)

[email protected] February 8th 16 11:34 PM

Signs at Oxford Circus

In article , ine (Bryan
Morris) wrote:

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase

entrances at the junction itself have been replaced with displays
which just say "Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are
effectively ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message.
How new are they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume
they have an "Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what
else will they be used for?

Photo & details
http://www.data-display.com/oxford-c...ground-station

Can't get a response from the site just now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 9th 16 08:54 AM

Signs at Oxford Circus

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 19:16:28 +0000
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Last time there was a proper tube strike the great northern from palmers
green was absolutely rammed. I won't be doing that trip again in a hurry.
Thank god for working from home facilities.

--
Spud

David Cantrell February 9th 16 11:30 AM

Signs at Oxford Circus

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 02:26:33PM +0000, Basil Jet wrote:

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances at
the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Yet another obnoxious bright flashing advert, obviously.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups

Basil Jet[_4_] February 9th 16 09:56 PM

Signs at Oxford Circus

On 2016\02\09 00:34, wrote:
In article ,
ine (Bryan
Morris) wrote:

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase

entrances at the junction itself have been replaced with displays
which just say "Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are
effectively ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message.
How new are they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume
they have an "Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what
else will they be used for?

Photo & details
http://www.data-display.com/oxford-c...ground-station

Can't get a response from the site just now.

You could have waited.

Thanks to Bryan for the rather excellent nature of his reply.

[email protected] February 10th 16 01:03 AM

Signs at Oxford Circus

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

On 2016\02\09 00:34,
wrote:
In article ,
ine
(Bryan Morris) wrote:

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances
at the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Photo & details
http://www.data-display.com/oxford-c...ground-station

Can't get a response from the site just now.

You could have waited.

I did try several times but the site non-response problems actually got
worse as I kept trying. It was OK this morning though.

Thanks to Bryan for the rather excellent nature of his reply.

Indeed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] March 11th 16 04:31 PM

Signs at Oxford Circus

On 2016\02\08 14:26, Basil Jet wrote:

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances at
the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

This morning one of them was cycling though "Bakerloo Line good service"
.... "Central Line good service" doing every line on the system in
alphabetical order, obviously in the right colours... finishing by
telling us that there was a good service on the W&C as well. That last
message will be very handy for all the people at Oxford Circus going to
Bank via Waterloo, and also the people going to Waterloo via Bank.