Old February 8th 16, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Signs at Oxford Circus

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances at
the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Old February 8th 16, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances
at the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Photo & details
http://www.data-display.com/oxford-c...ground-station
--
Bryan Morris
Public Key http://www.pgp.uk.demon.net - 0xCC6237E9
Old February 8th 16, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/02/2016 15:00, Bryan Morris wrote:

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances
at the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Photo & details
http://www.data-display.com/oxford-c...ground-station

Clever stuff, but unfortunately I doubt it'll ever say 'just bloody walk
to another station you lazy gits' when Oxford Circus closes when it's
overcrowded.

(On a similar note, Tube strikes are bad news, but they do at least tend
to 'sort the mend from the boys'.)
Old February 9th 16, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 19:16:28 +0000
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Last time there was a proper tube strike the great northern from palmers
green was absolutely rammed. I won't be doing that trip again in a hurry.
Thank god for working from home facilities.

--
Spud

Old February 9th 16, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 02:26:33PM +0000, Basil Jet wrote:

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances at
the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Yet another obnoxious bright flashing advert, obviously.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups

Old February 10th 16, 01:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

On 2016\02\09 00:34,
wrote:
In article ,
ine
(Bryan Morris) wrote:

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances
at the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

Photo & details
http://www.data-display.com/oxford-c...ground-station

Can't get a response from the site just now.

You could have waited.

I did try several times but the site non-response problems actually got
worse as I kept trying. It was OK this morning though.

Thanks to Bryan for the rather excellent nature of his reply.

Indeed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 11th 16, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\02\08 14:26, Basil Jet wrote:

I recently noticed that the banner signs over the staircase entrances at
the junction itself have been replaced with displays which just say
"Oxford Circus Station" 99% of the time but are effectively
ultra-wide-screen TVs capable of displaying any message. How new are
they? Is this the only station which has them? I presume they have an
"Emergency - Don't Enter" message as well, but what else will they be
used for?

This morning one of them was cycling though "Bakerloo Line good service"
.... "Central Line good service" doing every line on the system in
alphabetical order, obviously in the right colours... finishing by
telling us that there was a good service on the W&C as well. That last
message will be very handy for all the people at Oxford Circus going to
Bank via Waterloo, and also the people going to Waterloo via Bank.