Old February 26th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube direction

"Paul Corfield" schreef in bericht
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:04:00 +0100, "Ruud"
wrote:

Hi everybody,
First of all, sorry for any errors in my English.
I'm from the Netherlands, and I have a question about the tube.

BOBBIT

Lots of good advice in other messages.

In London you have several aids to help you get about

BOBBIT
Enjoy your trip.
--
Paul C

Dear Paul (and others of course),

Thanks very much for your comprehensive answer.

Indeed, in all answers is usefull info.
I will read it several times, and will understand it a bit more, everytime.

I'm really looking forward to come to London.
It will be my first time there, and London is one (out of 2 places) which
I'm really interested in (the second is New York).

I really love the language, and with your info (all of you) I'm sure I will
find my way.
And last but not least, I love the way, you all give friendly answers.

Best regards and all the best to you.

Ruud, Delft, the Netherlands.

P.S. Wonderfull tagline Paul !!

Old February 26th 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Joe
writes
Just to add confusion, the circle line has no terminus point (except at
night but theyre not classed as such), but the trains to St. James'(s?) park
will say Circle Line Via. Victoria

Apart from the Circle Line, the normal practice is to label the two
possibilities with the general compass point, e.g. Eastbound versus
Westbound, or Northbound versus Southbound. This is clear enough,
except when the track runs diagonally, or changes direction.

Thus if were to start from King's Cross and take the Northern Line one
stop in the Northbound direction, then change to the Victoria Line and
take it one stop, again in the Northbound direction, you might be
surprised to find that you had got back at King's Cross, where you
started. But if you look at the map, you can see that this almost makes
sense.

--
Clive Page
Old February 27th 04, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Circle Line

do not Circle Line trains do one day on the iner line and the next on the
outer.....so each train does the same mileage.......
Old February 27th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:53:19 +0100, "Ruud"
wrote:

[snip advice]

Dear Paul (and others of course),

Thanks very much for your comprehensive answer.

You're welcome.

Indeed, in all answers is usefull info.
I will read it several times, and will understand it a bit more, everytime.

I'm really looking forward to come to London.
It will be my first time there, and London is one (out of 2 places) which
I'm really interested in (the second is New York).

New York is well worth a visit.

I really love the language, and with your info (all of you) I'm sure I will
find my way.

And your English is way ahead of my Dutch - either written or spoken.

And last but not least, I love the way, you all give friendly answers.

Ruud, Delft, the Netherlands.

Ah near Den Haag then. Quite a few years since I was over there.

P.S. Wonderfull tagline Paul !!

Well you'll probably love using the Tube when you're here - most
visitors do. It's quite another thing to deal with the complaints of our
regular travellers or even posters on this group.

Tot ziens.
--
Paul C

Old February 28th 04, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

First of all, sorry for any errors in my English.
I'm from the Netherlands, and I have a question about the tube.

I'm planning to visit London for a week, and right now I am preparing
myselve to travel there.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain what I'd like to ask, but ...
Is there anybody that can explain to me, what's on the metro's (train's)
sign if you walk into a tube station.
In other words, wich direction do I keep when I walk into Bayswater

station,
and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line (circle).
Do you look to the end station, or is there another method?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Ruud.

Hoi Ruud,

Is in principe niet zo moeilijk. Op bijna alle stations zijn handige
plattegronden te krijgen van de tube. Meestal bij de ingang van een perron
staat al een bord met de 'volgende stations' van de betreffende lijn. Als je
bijvoorbeeld bij Victoria Station de Victoria Line neemt, en je gaat
'southbound', dan zie je voor je het perron oploopt al een bordje met de
volgende stations, zoals Green Park ..

Groeten Silvan
- van de week nog in London -

Old February 28th 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Paul Corfield wrote:

In London you have several aids to help you get about

1. Line colour - this is repeated consistently throughout the system for
whatever line you want. District is always Green, Circle is always
Yellow, Central is always Red etc.

Except that the Metropolitan sometimes likes to be brown. Perhaps that's
only on rather old maps; i liked it, because it meant that from Liverpool
Street to Baker Street, the northern half of the circle could be called
the Neapolitan line (bugger, i haven't had neapolitan ice cream in ages -
i really want some now!). Also, beware of old maps in some stations -
Barbican still shows the East London line as an adjunct of the
Metropolitan, i think, and somewhere central on the Piccadilly still has
Aldwych.

2. Each line has a name - instead of a number or even series of numbers
over the same tracks.

Even if the name is sometimes misleading - the tube line which goes
furthest south is the Northern line, and the line which goes furthest out
is the Central line.

3. Signage refers to a geographical direction for the way that the
train is running - so eastbound, northbound, westbound or southbound. As
the Tube Map is diagrammatically represented in this way it is usually
very easy - provided you hold the Tube Map the right way up.

Finally you get the display on the platform which will show the end of a
line - e.g Brixton or Walthamstow on the Victoria Line. The Circle just
says Circle Line on the front but the displays will show you major
station around the loop the train goes via (e.g. Baker St, Kings Cross,
Victoria etc).

Note that these indicators don't tell you what line the train is on, which
means that at platforms serving several lines (such as Liverpool Street),
you'll have to know which lines the named stations are on if you want to
figure out which line the train is on. For example, if you wanted to go
from Liverpool Street to Finchley Road, on the Metropolitan line, you'd
have to know that the Metropolitan's termini are Amersham, Watford, and
Uxbridge (and sometimes Chesham). You soon get used to this, but you may
still be foxed by weird destinations (i think i once saw a train bound for
Westbourne Park or something, and had to look at a map to figure out what
it was).

And, while we're at it, if you are going beyond Finchley Road on the
Metropolitan line, you need to know that, unlike every on other line, not
all Metropolitan trains stop at every station they go past; see
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7069/metserv.html for an
explanation. It won't matter if you never go beyond Finchley Road, though!

A quick way to work out how long a journey will take is to count the
gaps between the stations and multiply by 2 minutes.

I was taught 3 minutes.

tom

--
Come with me, and we'll go dreaming.