Old February 25th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube direction

Hi everybody,

First of all, sorry for any errors in my English.
I'm from the Netherlands, and I have a question about the tube.

I'm planning to visit London for a week, and right now I am preparing
myselve to travel there.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain what I'd like to ask, but ...
Is there anybody that can explain to me, what's on the metro's (train's)
sign if you walk into a tube station.
In other words, wich direction do I keep when I walk into Bayswater station,
and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line (circle).
Do you look to the end station, or is there another method?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Ruud.

Old February 25th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi everybody,

First of all, sorry for any errors in my English.
I'm from the Netherlands, and I have a question about the tube.

I'm planning to visit London for a week, and right now I am preparing
myselve to travel there.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain what I'd like to ask, but ...
Is there anybody that can explain to me, what's on the metro's (train's)
sign if you walk into a tube station.
In other words, wich direction do I keep when I walk into Bayswater station,
and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line (circle).
Do you look to the end station, or is there another method?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Ruud.

It should be very easy, Ruud: when you get into the station, there will be a
line diagram listing all the stations that can be reached from each platform.

For example, if you enter Bayswater, there will be a sign with a line-diagram
on it listing all of the stations on the Circle (yellow) Line that will be
reached from that platform, i.e. Notting Hill Gate, High Street Kensington,
etc. In this particular example you will then need to wait on the platform
until a "CIRCLE LINE" train arrives, making sure not to get a DISTRICT LINE
train that would take you to Earl's Court.

Good luck and bon voyage!

Marc.

Old February 25th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

For example, if you enter Bayswater, there will be a sign with a
line-diagram
on it listing all of the stations on the Circle (yellow) Line that will be
reached from that platform, i.e. Notting Hill Gate, High Street

Kensington,
etc. In this particular example you will then need to wait on the

platform
until a "CIRCLE LINE" train arrives, making sure not to get a DISTRICT

LINE
train that would take you to Earl's Court.

Just to add confusion, the circle line has no terminus point (except at
night but theyre not classed as such), but the trains to St. James'(s?) park
will say Circle Line Via. Victoria

Old February 25th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ruud" wrote in message

Do you look to the end station, or is there another method?

Usually the direction the trains are going, either "Eastbound", "Westbound",
"Northbound" or "Southbound".

On the Circle Line, "Eastbound" and "Westbound" are used on the north side
and south sides of the Circle, so on the Eastbound platform at Moorgate, a
Circle Line train will take you to Tower Hill, and from the Eatsbound
platform at Tower Hill a Circle line train will take you back to Moorgate.
(I can't remember what is used on the west side of the Circle.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 25th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" schreef in bericht
For example, if you enter Bayswater, there will be a sign with a

line-diagram
on it listing all of the stations on the Circle (yellow) Line that will

be
reached from that platform, i.e. Notting Hill Gate, High Street

Kensington,
etc. In this particular example you will then need to wait on the

platform
until a "CIRCLE LINE" train arrives, making sure not to get a DISTRICT

LINE
train that would take you to Earl's Court.

Just to add confusion, the circle line has no terminus point (except at
night but theyre not classed as such), but the trains to St. James'(s?)

park
will say Circle Line Via. Victoria

OK guys, thanks very much, I'm beginning to learn ;-)

But let me put it slightly different.
If I enter Bayswater station, I must choose between going north (to Baker
street) or going south (to Sloane Sq).
How do I choose that?

Ruud.

Old February 25th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim tim is offline

"Ruud" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

First of all, sorry for any errors in my English.
I'm from the Netherlands, and I have a question about the tube.

I'm planning to visit London for a week, and right now I am preparing
myselve to travel there.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain what I'd like to ask, but ...
Is there anybody that can explain to me, what's on the metro's (train's)
sign if you walk into a tube station.
In other words, wich direction do I keep when I walk into Bayswater

station,
and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line (circle).
Do you look to the end station, or is there another method?

If the station has more than one line, you need to look for the name
of line on a sign with the signature colour of that line. You'll need
a map, which you can pick up at any station, to help you learn the
colours.

As to finding the correct direction, they are indicated using the
compass directions, North, South, East or West and it is usually
obvious which one you need to look for.

tim

Old February 25th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

ep when I walk into Bayswater station,
and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line (circle).

go into Baywater Station -----buy a ticket----go the top of the stairs....turn
to the [your] LEFT... and this is the platform for St. James Park.... the
Circle Line runs about every 7 1/2mins........ the station before St.James is
Victoria.....and it will ltake you about 14 mins.to get there....have a good
trip p46
Old February 25th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim wrote:
"Ruud" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

First of all, sorry for any errors in my English.
I'm from the Netherlands, and I have a question about the tube.

I'm planning to visit London for a week, and right now I am preparing
myselve to travel there.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain what I'd like to ask, but ...
Is there anybody that can explain to me, what's on the metro's
(train's) sign if you walk into a tube station.
In other words, wich direction do I keep when I walk into Bayswater
station, and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line
(circle).
Do you look to the end station, or is there another method?

snip
As to finding the correct direction, they are indicated using the
compass directions, North, South, East or West and it is usually
obvious which one you need to look for.

However, it's not obvious at Bayswater. The Tube Map shows the line as
running north-south, but it actually runs east-west at this point!

You will find that at Bayswater:
Platform 1 ("Westbound") is for District Line trains to Wimbledon (via
Earl's Court), and Circle Line trains via Victoria (and St James's
Park).
Platform 2 ("Eastbound") is for District Line trains to Edgware Road,
and Circle Line trains via King's Cross.
The signs after you pass through the ticket gates should make this
clear, and the train destinations will be shown on the platform
indicators.

On the Circle Line trains, the indicator on the front will read just
"Circle Line" for both directions, but you will have Emma's friendly
voice in the cars telling you where it's going.
--
Richard J.

Old February 25th 04, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Proctor46" schreef in bericht
ep when I walk into Bayswater station,
and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line (circle).

go into Baywater Station -----buy a ticket----go the top of the

stairs....turn
to the [your] LEFT... and this is the platform for St. James Park....

the
Circle Line runs about every 7 1/2mins........ the station before St.James

is
Victoria.....and it will ltake you about 14 mins.to get there....have a

good
trip p46

OK, thanks e v e r y b o d y for your nice answers.
I think I will make it in London.

I'll be there in july, I'll see you all there ;-))

But serious, thank you all.
Ruud.

Old February 26th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:04:00 +0100, "Ruud"
wrote:

Hi everybody,

First of all, sorry for any errors in my English.
I'm from the Netherlands, and I have a question about the tube.

I'm planning to visit London for a week, and right now I am preparing
myselve to travel there.

It's a bit difficult for me to explain what I'd like to ask, but ...
Is there anybody that can explain to me, what's on the metro's (train's)
sign if you walk into a tube station.
In other words, wich direction do I keep when I walk into Bayswater station,
and I want to go to St. Jame's Park with the yellow line (circle).
Do you look to the end station, or is there another method?

A very good question to ask. I once assumed that on my first visit to
Paris that the Metro signs would be just like London - how wrong I was.
I got terribly confused!

Lots of good advice in other messages.

In London you have several aids to help you get about

1. Line colour - this is repeated consistently throughout the
system for whatever line you want. District is always Green, Circle is
always Yellow, Central is always Red etc.

2. Each line has a name - instead of a number or even series of
numbers over the same tracks.

3. Signage refers to a geographical direction for the way that the
train is running - so eastbound, northbound, westbound or southbound. As
the Tube Map is diagrammatically represented in this way it is usually
very easy - provided you hold the Tube Map the right way up.

Finally you get the display on the platform which will show the end of a
line - e.g Brixton or Walthamstow on the Victoria Line. The Circle just
says Circle Line on the front but the displays will show you major
station around the loop the train goes via (e.g. Baker St, Kings Cross,
Victoria etc).

An important thing to remember with the circle line is the following.
You can, of course, go either way round the circle to reach a station.
When you get to the line diagram signs (before you walk to a particular
platform in the station) you will see half of the circle shown on one
sign for one direction and other half on the other sign. The sign that
has the station you want to travel to points to the direction that is
quickest.

As an example you might want to go to Tower Hill from Bayswater - as it
is about half way round the Circle Line look for the sign with Tower
Hill on it - that will be quickest (assuming no delays!).

A quick way to work out how long a journey will take is to count the
gaps between the stations and multiply by 2 minutes. Add 5 minutes if
you need to change between lines. That gives a good estimate for most
journey times.

Also you might want to try the scenic route from Bayswater to St James
Park - there is a 148 bus that will take you past Hyde Park, Marble
Arch, Hyde Park Corner, through Victoria and you can get off by New
Scotland Yard (police hq). There's a bus every 10 minutes - nice way to
see lots of green space.

Enjoy your trip.
--
Paul C