Old March 24th 16, 02:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Self-driving cars - and the future of passenger railways?

Recliner wrote:

I'm pretty sure the doors open automatically when an automatically-driven
LU train stops.

The operator's job is only to close the doors, after which the train
departs automatically, runs automatically, stops automatically, and opens
the doors automatically.

I've checked with a friend who works for LU, and although the functionality
to do so exists within the Seltrac and TBTC systems, it's not currently
enabled, due to unions not agreeing to this.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old March 24th 16, 02:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24/03/2016 15:10, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:

I'm pretty sure the doors open automatically when an automatically-driven
LU train stops.

The operator's job is only to close the doors, after which the train
departs automatically, runs automatically, stops automatically, and opens
the doors automatically.

I've checked with a friend who works for LU, and although the functionality
to do so exists within the Seltrac and TBTC systems, it's not currently
enabled, due to unions not agreeing to this.

Why not? And why does the union get a say in such things? Is there
some sort of extra payment based on number of button presses?

Old March 24th 16, 05:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

I'm pretty sure the doors open automatically when an automatically-driven
LU train stops.

The operator's job is only to close the doors, after which the train
departs automatically, runs automatically, stops automatically, and opens
the doors automatically.

I've checked with a friend who works for LU, and although the functionality
to do so exists within the Seltrac and TBTC systems, it's not currently
enabled, due to unions not agreeing to this.

Why not? And why does the union get a say in such things?

The union represents the people who get splashed with the blood and
gore if the latest bright idea gets introduced without sufficient
testing and training.
(or in BT's case a few years back representing the people who would
have been poisoned by cyanide fumes if the "cunning plan" of
heat-welding cables into bundles had gone ahead)

Old March 25th 16, 07:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

I'm pretty sure the doors open automatically when an automatically-driven
LU train stops.

The operator's job is only to close the doors, after which the train
departs automatically, runs automatically, stops automatically, and opens
the doors automatically.

I've checked with a friend who works for LU, and although the functionality
to do so exists within the Seltrac and TBTC systems, it's not currently
enabled, due to unions not agreeing to this.

Why not? And why does the union get a say in such things? Is there
some sort of extra payment based on number of button presses?

Presumably at least in part a perception of de-skilling the job.

They get a say because if their members refuse to drive trains with
self-opening doors, no trains move...

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old March 25th 16, 01:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24.03.16 15:10, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:

I'm pretty sure the doors open automatically when an automatically-driven
LU train stops.

The operator's job is only to close the doors, after which the train
departs automatically, runs automatically, stops automatically, and opens
the doors automatically.

I've checked with a friend who works for LU, and although the functionality
to do so exists within the Seltrac and TBTC systems, it's not currently
enabled, due to unions not agreeing to this.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Doors automatically open on the Petersburg Metro, which also uses ATO, a
Russian from there told me. The driver then hits one button, which
allows the train to close its doors and depart.

BTW, do drivers here have to hold the depart buttons on newer rolling
stock until the train departs the station? I know that the 67ts did not
have that feature, but I wonder if later rolling stock does. I know that
drivers have to do that in Paris on the lines with ATO.