Old February 26th 04, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Oyster in disguise

Whose bright idea was it to produce Freedom Passes on Oyster which bear
no resemblance at all to the Oyster cards we all know and love? (Maybe)
Apart from the ones which throw up a 70 from their very first day of
use, I've seen several which have been destroyed because their owners
have tried to put them through the gates like the old magnetic passes.
With all the advertising, the Oyster Card is instantly recognisable so
why was the Freedom Pass version produced to look completely different
and even given out in the old style orange wallet?
The whole thing is very confusing for many people and several I've
spoken to, say they weren't told how to use them either.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 26th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

With all the advertising, the Oyster Card is instantly recognisable so
why was the Freedom Pass version produced to look completely different
and even given out in the old style orange wallet?

Perhaps they had lots of orange wallets left over. The wallet isn't perfect
as the design encourages people to needlessly remove the card from the
wallet or to needlessly unfold it, but it does the job.

Both cards seem badly designed to me as they don't have colour or design
association with the yellow card readers. Seeing a huge great yellow
circular logo on the front of the card that is clearly the same as that on
the card reader would seem to have been a more sensible move.

The whole thing is very confusing for many people and several I've
spoken to, say they weren't told how to use them either.

Strange. My Mum has just got hers. The renewal form came with a sheet
talking about it and the card itself is issued with a leaflet explaining
where and when it is valid and with instructions on how to use it.

Old February 26th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message

I've seen several which have been destroyed
because their owners have tried to put them
through the gates like the old magnetic passes.

Surely the real question is why do the ticket slots destroy the Oyster
cards! It's fairly obvious that in the short run a lot of people will be
making that particular mistake, so the system should have a way of coping
with that...

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 27th 04, 03:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Kat" wrote in message

I've seen several which have been destroyed
because their owners have tried to put them
through the gates like the old magnetic passes.

Surely the real question is why do the ticket slots destroy the Oyster
cards! It's fairly obvious that in the short run a lot of people will be
making that particular mistake, so the system should have a way of coping
with that...

The transport mechanism of the gate is designed for a flexible ticket
not a rigid Oyster card therefore the slots have been modified to
prevent the thicker Oyster from being inserted. However, if enough force
is applied in trying to insert an Oyster card then it results in the
card splitting and it will no longer function on the reader.
Most people would realise that to having to use that much force must
mean that it's a place where the Oyster just isn't meant to go!
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 27th 04, 03:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Graham J
writes
With all the advertising, the Oyster Card is instantly recognisable so
why was the Freedom Pass version produced to look completely different
and even given out in the old style orange wallet?

Perhaps they had lots of orange wallets left over. The wallet isn't perfect
as the design encourages people to needlessly remove the card from the
wallet or to needlessly unfold it, but it does the job.

Both cards seem badly designed to me as they don't have colour or design
association with the yellow card readers. Seeing a huge great yellow
circular logo on the front of the card that is clearly the same as that on
the card reader would seem to have been a more sensible move.

I agree; the readers were installed for a long time prior to the
introduction of staff passes on Oyster and I was surprised that the
cards bore no resemblance to the readers.

The whole thing is very confusing for many people and several I've
spoken to, say they weren't told how to use them either.

Strange. My Mum has just got hers. The renewal form came with a sheet
talking about it and the card itself is issued with a leaflet explaining
where and when it is valid and with instructions on how to use it.

I am only repeating what I was told by some Freedom Pass users; it's
quite likely that they did arrive with an explanation that was either
ignored or misunderstood. Many elderly people refer to them as
Bus-Passes and probably don't use them on the Underground often or at
all.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 27th 04, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:33:21 +0000 Kat
said...

With all the advertising, the Oyster Card is instantly recognisable so
why was the Freedom Pass version produced to look completely different
and even given out in the old style orange wallet?
The whole thing is very confusing for many people and several I've
spoken to, say they weren't told how to use them either.

And what will cause problems IMO is the fact that the elderly often just
flash their Freedom pass at the bus driver as they are getting on board.
I have seen many a pensioner heavily laden with shopping and their pass
in a holder around their neck. What will probably annoy them (and
potentially cause delays at bus stops) is having to get their Oyster card
type passes out and swiping the card reader. I wonder because the fact
they look different is so that bus drivers won't insist they be swiped?

--
Phil Richards
London, N4
Old February 27th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , John Rowland
writes
"Kat" wrote in message

The transport mechanism of the gate is designed for a flexible ticket
not a rigid Oyster card therefore the slots have been modified to
prevent the thicker Oyster from being inserted. However, if enough force
is applied in trying to insert an Oyster card then it results in the
card splitting and it will no longer function on the reader.
Most people would realise that to having to use that much force must
mean that it's a place where the Oyster just isn't meant to go!

I know that, you know that, most sane and sensible people with Oyster Cards
know that. However, it didn't stop one contract security guard at a NR
station in Z6 telling me to put my Oyster through the slot. I've even had
one such guard telling me he can prove a card is valid just by looking at
it!

This and the NR company in questions complete hash of handling Oyster has
been the subject of much e-mail going back and forth to their customer
service desk.

The station in question now boasts a hand held reader, but it would seem
that the people staffing the bypass gates have not been trained in it's use
if recent experiences are anything to go by. I know that installing Prox
readers isn't exactly cheap, but the same company has installed readers
elsewhere within the zones, even though there are no LUL services at the
station!

Regards

RayB

---

Old February 27th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , RayB
writes
"Kat" wrote in message

[...]
However, if enough force
is applied in trying to insert an Oyster card then it results in the
card splitting and it will no longer function on the reader.
Most people would realise that to having to use that much force must
mean that it's a place where the Oyster just isn't meant to go!

I know that, you know that, most sane and sensible people with Oyster Cards
know that. However, it didn't stop one contract security guard at a NR
station in Z6 telling me to put my Oyster through the slot. I've even had
one such guard telling me he can prove a card is valid just by looking at
it!

I didn't realise people from Krypton could get work-permits unless
they're employed by DC Comics.

This and the NR company in questions complete hash of handling Oyster has
been the subject of much e-mail going back and forth to their customer
service desk.

And have you got anywhere interesting?

The station in question now boasts a hand held reader, but it would seem
that the people staffing the bypass gates have not been trained in it's use
if recent experiences are anything to go by. I know that installing Prox
readers isn't exactly cheap, but the same company has installed readers
elsewhere within the zones, even though there are no LUL services at the
station!

So what happens when you try to get in/out at an LU station?
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 27th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

More power to the Busdrivers Elbow.
And was not a central plank of Nick Ridleys plans for UK.Public Transport
the fact that Private companys are intrinsically better at assimilating
efficient technology than staid ol public bodies etc etc ?

Old February 29th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , RayB
writes
"Kat" wrote in message

I didn't realise people from Krypton could get work-permits unless
they're employed by DC Comics.

I could but I won't...

And have you got anywhere interesting?

Well, the HHR that they claimed to have has now put in an appearance, so I
suppose that's something. It's their turn to serve

So what happens when you try to get in/out at an LU station?

It works perfectly!

RayB

---