Old April 19th 16, 04:38 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Thank for the correction. My memory playing tricks again! However,
coming back to the idea that third rail limits high speed running,
what speeds are routinely achieved between Southampton and
Woking?
Old April 19th 16, 05:19 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Thanks to the good advice from posters here - thank you,
gentlemen, you're very well informed - I've had a look at a
1939 Ordnance Survey map of Verney Junction. This shows
clearly that the overhead railway bridge brought in the line
from Quainton Road.

Is there any means of inserting images into posts here?
I wanted to show the map of Verney Junction.
Old April 19th 16, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Bletchley Fly-over

wrote:
In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

;155038 Wrote:

The line between Woking and Weymouth was electrified in
the 1960s at very low cost. I used to travel on that route
frequently. The third rail system did not stop those trains from-

The 1967 electrification only extended to Bournemouth and ended steam on
the Southern Region. 12-car trains consisted of two 4-TC unpowered 4-car
units with a 4-REP tractor unit at the London end. A class 33 diesel
took the front 4-TC unit on to Weymouth and back. Some workings used
class 73s with a 3-TC unit at the London end instead of the 4-REP. Later
they converted more 4-REPs and extended the 3-TCs to 4 cars. Then the
electrification was extended to Weymouth in the 1990s and introduced the
class 442 Wessex electrics, re-using the REP traction motors which are
higher-powered than any others used on EMU stock.

Thank for the correction. My memory playing tricks again! However,
coming back to the idea that third rail limits high speed running,
what speeds are routinely achieved between Southampton and
Woking?

I think the lesson from the Eurostar before HS1 fiasco is that it's the
limitation on power drawn that is the speed problem. Downhill or on the
level they manage 100 MPH occasionally but 125 is but a distant dream.

No doubt that's true, but what does that have to do with infrequent
four-car EMUs on a 75mph max line?

Old April 20th 16, 06:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Robin9
wrote:
I was driving from Winslow along Verney Road. A railway
embankment came in on my right. Shortly before Verney
Junction the road goes under an old railway bridge. Now,
assuming the railway to my right is the trackbed of the old
route from Winslow and Bletchley, the bridge brought in the
line from Quainton Road.

Winslow Road passes under the Oxford-Bletchley line twice. Coming from
Winslow, you pass under it first he

t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sq-h5aDFlM_Ws1w6Ewtzz0A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2
Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dq-h5aDFlM_Ws1w6Ewtzz0A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_cli ent%3
Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D1 00%26yaw%3D135.65059%26
pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

and then he

t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxeG7CQGqki-hk8bWgNAc5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The line from Quainton Road also used to pass over on a bridge, but the
bridge itself was demolished many years ago. This is what's left:

t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sho-SIgZeB3VeeGFc6K8yUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old April 23rd 16, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default The Bletchley Fly-over and Verney Junction

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:50:02 +0100, Neil Williams

On 2016-04-17 19:22:12 +0000, Stephen Furley said:

Was Bletchley flyover intended to be electrified eventually? It has
concrete 'lumps' on the side of it which look as if they could have
been entended as mountings for OHLE structures.

I suspect that is indeed what they are for. Just thinking ahead, and
for EW Rail it might well be used.

On a related subject AIUI there are to be new platforms beyond the
eastern end of the flyover. But, my recollection is that the line
both curves and descend at that location. Do platforms not have to be
on straight, level track these days?