London Banter

-   -   Mayor Sadiq (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14919-mayor-sadiq.html)

Mizter T May 6th 16 05:42 PM

Mayor Sadiq

It's all over bar the declaration.

Congratulations from me, if not from others here on this random and
dusty crevice of the internet! Greens doing well too.

We await the results of the London Assembly elections.

I'm very glad Zac's nasty campaign blew right up in his face. Apparently
Lynton Crosby had no involvement in it, which if anything makes Zac look
even worse. Two tweets relating to that...

Dave Hill of the Guardian:
https://twitter.com/DaveHill/status/728619646224637952
"If you've yet to hear it, best quote on Zac campaign from senior London
Tory: 'A dog whistle in a city with no dogs.' "

Jim Waterson, political editor of BuzzFeed UK:
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/728617840778088448
"Any London Conservatives who *do* want to defend Zac Goldsmith's
campaign? City Hall just full of Tories saying they're disgusted with him."

OK, guess I should think about the future ramifications for transport!

Also today - Boris (still Mayor until Sunday midnight I think)
officially opened the segregated east-west cycle superhighway along the
Embankment from Big Ben to the Tower:

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-05-06/boris-johnson-bows-out-as-london-mayor-with-a-final-public-duty-opening-a-new-bike-lane/
or via http://tinyurl.com/zvbwgyg

I'm no great fan of Boris, but it's possible proper segregated cycleways
(rather than just 'blue paint') might actually be his real legacy. I
trust Sadiq will push ahead with this programme.

Recliner[_3_] May 6th 16 06:39 PM

Mayor Sadiq

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

It seems that Sadiq may be bringing in his old boss, Andrew Adonis, to
oversee transport. Not sure how that squares with his national
infrastructure role.

But, yes, whoever is in charge of transport, I suspect that the cycleway
policy will continue. Presumably, with his background, Sadiq will be keen
on buses, but I suspect he won't be ordering any more Boris buses...

[email protected] May 6th 16 07:40 PM

Mayor Sadiq

On Fri, 6 May 2016 18:42:47 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
It's all over bar the declaration.

Congratulations from me, if not from others here on this random and
dusty crevice of the internet! Greens doing well too.

We await the results of the London Assembly elections.

I'm very glad Zac's nasty campaign blew right up in his face. Apparently
Lynton Crosby had no involvement in it, which if anything makes Zac look
even worse. Two tweets relating to that...

Dave Hill of the Guardian:

Might as well say Dave Hill of Idiots-r-Us.

https://twitter.com/DaveHill/status/728619646224637952
"If you've yet to hear it, best quote on Zac campaign from senior London
Tory: 'A dog whistle in a city with no dogs.' "

Thats the latest phrase of the month isn't it. I wonder how many people who
use it actually know what dog whistle politics is.

OK, guess I should think about the future ramifications for transport!

Indeed. Perhaps the former human rights parasite who's just been voted in
and used to sue the police for compensation for assorted scum, can ask some of
the people he used to share a platform with what the latest bomb making
techniques are and figure out how to defend the tube against them.

--
Spud

burfordTjustice May 6th 16 07:43 PM

Mayor Sadiq

On Fri, 6 May 2016 18:42:47 +0100
Mizter T wrote:

Congratulations from me,

LMAO! With in one year you will be running
for your life. Bunch of white damned fools
don't know what they have brought onto
themselves.
The muslims know.

e27002 aurora May 7th 16 07:55 AM

Mayor Sadiq

On Fri, 06 May 2016 19:40:40 GMT, d wrote:

On Fri, 6 May 2016 18:42:47 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Historically the City of London was outwith any county. The current
GLA consists of large areas of annexed from neighboring counties. Had
the historic county structure remained those sections would be outside
Mr Khan's grip.

Shame on the people of the GLA for voting in this low-life.

eastender[_5_] May 7th 16 10:04 AM

Mayor Sadiq

On 2016-05-06 19:40:40 +0000, d said:

On Fri, 6 May 2016 18:42:47 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Your mate David Furness got 13,325 votes - so there are a few more like
you in the city but thankfully too few to matter.

Offramp May 7th 16 10:16 AM

Mayor Sadiq

The media keep describing him as the first muslim mayor, but there have only been two others!

[email protected] May 7th 16 11:44 AM

Mayor Sadiq

On Sat, 07 May 2016 08:55:36 +0100
e27002 aurora wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 19:40:40 GMT, d wrote:
Indeed. Perhaps the former human rights parasite who's just been voted in
and used to sue the police for compensation for assorted scum, can ask some

of
the people he used to share a platform with what the latest bomb making
techniques are and figure out how to defend the tube against them.

Historically the City of London was outwith any county. The current
GLA consists of large areas of annexed from neighboring counties. Had
the historic county structure remained those sections would be outside
Mr Khan's grip.

Shame on the people of the GLA for voting in this low-life.

Well, he got a lot of the ethnic vote (though I suspect not many from Hindus)
and naturally the useful idiots of the left would vote for him but I suspect
it was more a case of Goldsmith lost due to his woeful campaign than Kahn
winning plus 8 years of buffoonery and little to show for it from Johnson
which didn't do the Tories any favours.

--
Spud

[email protected] May 7th 16 11:48 AM

Mayor Sadiq

On Sat, 7 May 2016 11:04:04 +0100
On 2016-05-06 19:40:40 +0000, d said:
Indeed. Perhaps the former human rights parasite who's just been voted in
and used to sue the police for compensation for assorted scum, can ask some

of
the people he used to share a platform with what the latest bomb making
techniques are and figure out how to defend the tube against them.

Your mate David Furness got 13,325 votes - so there are a few more like
you in the city but thankfully too few to matter.

Yes, there are few like me left in london - ie white english. As more than
one person has said , its not an english city any more. Its an oversized
tower of bable full of international scum, rich and poor.

--
Spud

Robin9 May 7th 16 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e27002 aurora (Post 155557)

wrote:
[...]

In what way is he a low-life?

eastender[_5_] May 7th 16 07:54 PM

Mayor Sadiq

On Sat, 7 May 2016 11:04:04 +0100
On 2016-05-06 19:40:40 +0000,
d said:
Indeed. Perhaps the former human rights parasite who's just been voted in
and used to sue the police for compensation for assorted scum, can ask some

of
the people he used to share a platform with what the latest bomb making
techniques are and figure out how to defend the tube against them.

Your mate David Furness got 13,325 votes - so there are a few more like
you in the city but thankfully too few to matter.

Yes, there are few like me left in london - ie white english. As more than
one person has said , its not an english city any more. Its an oversized
tower of bable full of international scum, rich and poor.

Think of it this way - they are diluting the real scum, ie you. At my
sports club last week I met a Peruvian midwife working in the NHS. The
irony is she would deliver the child of a racist but receive no thanks
for doing so.

And it's Babel, not bable.

Recliner[_3_] May 8th 16 08:59 AM

Mayor Sadiq

Offramp wrote:
The media keep describing him as the first muslim mayor, but there have
only been two others!

Rather more than that. He's the first Moslem mayor of *any* Western capital
city, not just London.

He's also the Brit with the largest-ever personal mandate:
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-...tical-history/

Paul Cummins May 8th 16 09:38 AM

Mayor Sadiq

In article ,
d () wrote:

As more than one person has said , its not an english city any more.
Its an oversized tower of bable full of international scum, rich and
poor.

Funny, I've never seen that quote before.

Funnier is that Londinium and its progeny has never been an English City
in it's more than 2000 year history.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

[email protected] May 8th 16 12:45 PM

Mayor Sadiq

On Sat, 7 May 2016 20:54:33 +0100

On Sat, 7 May 2016 11:04:04 +0100
eastender wrote:
On 2016-05-06 19:40:40 +0000,
d said:
[...]

Awww bless, did you embrace the inclusive rainbow diversity and feel good
about yourself?

And it's Babel, not bable.

Says the mouth breathing window licker who doesn't even know the difference
between race and nationality like most of the morons of the left.

--
Spud

Roland Perry May 8th 16 01:21 PM

Mayor Sadiq

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 08:59:56 on Sun, 8 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:
He's also the Brit with the largest-ever personal mandate:
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-...tical-history/

1.3m votes (including second preference) from a City of 8.5m people only
5.5m have registered to vote is not that big of an endorsement.

But as an out-of-London person, I'll be doing my best to keep him to his
very clear promise not to increase TfL fares for the next four years.

Not a big bus user currently, but his promise of transferable fares for
an hour is also something which might well make me use them more.

Walter Briscoe May 9th 16 01:02 PM

Mayor Sadiq

In message of Sun, 8 May
2016 15:06:07 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
On Fri, 6 May 2016 18:39:37 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

[snip]
The word "bus" was mentioned 7 times in his manifesto (yes I did
check). Six of those mentions were in connection with the 1 hour
ticket proposals. There are NO policies that support the expansion or
the improvement of the bus network. "Maintaining the quality" is as
far as it got.

I had missed Sadiq's policy on bus fares, before Paul referred to it.
It is in http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net...b9526a21db3279
000001/attachments/original/1457451016/x160668_Sadiq_Khan_Manifesto.pdf?
1457451016
It says he will "Freeze TfL transport fares for four years and introduce
a one-hour bus ‘Hopper’ ticket ..."
I guess that could be loaded on Oyster cards.
I currently have
11:46 Bus journey, route 21 £1.50 £9.40
11:28 Bus journey, route 100 £1.50 £10.90
Presumably I could have
12:30 Bus journey, route 43 £1.50 £9.40
11:46 Bus journey, route 21 £0.00 £10.90
11:28 Bus journey, route 100 £1.50 £10.90

I trust bus validators are capable of the additional logic.
Paul referred somewhere to cancellation of a project to replace
validators. Contactless should be no problem as pricing seems tobe a
batch operation, rather than being done in real time.

He does not address contactless being potentially cheaper than Ouster.
(The former supports Monday-Sunday caps; the latter does not.)

Caroline Pidgeon has had similar ideas for ages. Ottawa had similar
charding 25 years ago. Better late than never.

By the way, I looked at the Additional Member Figures.
(I had to do the calculations, myself. London Elects will show them,
real soon(;) Wikipedia (London Assembly elections, 2016) agrees with my
numbers. The last elected additional member will sit for UKIP with a
quotient of 85534. The Women's Equality Party, having got a 3.6% share,
was excluded for not managing 5%. Their quotient would have been 91772.
Tories have been bleating about Barnet; WEP seems to have maintained a
dignified silence. (No, I did not vote for them ;)
--
Walter Briscoe

Roland Perry May 9th 16 02:22 PM

Mayor Sadiq

In message , at 14:02:08 on Mon, 9
May 2016, Walter Briscoe remarked:
It says he will "Freeze TfL transport fares for four years and introduce
a one-hour bus ‘Hopper’ ticket ..."

Is the Hopper one hour between first and last touch-in, given that
people don't touch *out*?

Roland Perry May 9th 16 02:54 PM

Mayor Sadiq

In message , at 15:46:23 on
Mon, 9 May 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:
As we have no commercial product definition for the "Hopper Ticket" it
is impossible to say whether the technology currently on buses and in
central systems can support the new product. I could speculate in all
sorts of ways as to how it could work but there'd be no point. My
only observation would be that I can't see that it will be a "quick
fix" issue taking only weeks to introduce.

If it's based on the current hardware, then an "hourly cap" would seem
to fit the bill, and the Oyster daily capping software is already in
place (isn't it?)

Recliner[_3_] May 9th 16 03:30 PM

Mayor Sadiq

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:46:23 on
Mon, 9 May 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:
As we have no commercial product definition for the "Hopper Ticket" it
is impossible to say whether the technology currently on buses and in
central systems can support the new product. I could speculate in all
sorts of ways as to how it could work but there'd be no point. My
only observation would be that I can't see that it will be a "quick
fix" issue taking only weeks to introduce.

If it's based on the current hardware, then an "hourly cap" would seem
to fit the bill, and the Oyster daily capping software is already in
place (isn't it?)

Yes, the logic for an hourly cap seems simple enough, although I suppose
there's bound to be some strange edge cases.

Given that he also promises to freeze fares, I wonder how he plans to make
up the revenue loss?

Roland Perry May 9th 16 04:03 PM

Mayor Sadiq

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:30:53 on Mon, 9 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:
As we have no commercial product definition for the "Hopper Ticket" it
is impossible to say whether the technology currently on buses and in
central systems can support the new product. I could speculate in all
sorts of ways as to how it could work but there'd be no point. My
only observation would be that I can't see that it will be a "quick
fix" issue taking only weeks to introduce.

If it's based on the current hardware, then an "hourly cap" would seem
to fit the bill, and the Oyster daily capping software is already in
place (isn't it?)

Yes, the logic for an hourly cap seems simple enough, although I suppose
there's bound to be some strange edge cases.

Given that he also promises to freeze fares, I wonder how he plans to make
up the revenue loss?

Stuffing ever more passengers onto the existing buses and tubes?

Arthur Figgis May 9th 16 05:38 PM

Mayor Sadiq

On 09/05/2016 17:45, Paul Corfield wrote:

The crucial issue is whether the 3 caps are hard wired into the card
and system design or if there is flexibility to add more caps within
the system.

Isn't part of the point of the new back office system for contactless
that it can be told to do more and cleverer stuff?

If there is flexibility then yes, broadly, an hourly cap
works *provided* you don't care about whether people can make a return
journey for a single fare within 1 hour.

That has long been possible on Tramlink (within 90 minutes, maybe?).

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Graham Murray May 9th 16 06:49 PM

Mayor Sadiq

Roland Perry writes:

In message , at 14:02:08 on Mon, 9
May 2016, Walter Briscoe remarked:
It says he will "Freeze TfL transport fares for four years and introduce
a one-hour bus ‘Hopper’ ticket ..."

Is the Hopper one hour between first and last touch-in, given that
people don't touch *out*?

And that some single journeys can take more than an hour.

Or make it that you have to touch out of bus journeys and treat it
similarly to underground/rail OSI such that touching in on one bus
within a period of touching out of another, is considered to be one
journey. So for example if you were to travel from Waterloo to
Paddington by catching a 211 or 507 and change at Victoria to the next
36 or 436, it would count as one journey.

Roland Perry May 9th 16 06:53 PM

Mayor Sadiq

In message , at 17:45:25 on
Mon, 9 May 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:

an hourly cap works *provided* you don't care about whether people can
make a return journey for a single fare within 1 hour. If you do care
about that then the checking logic becomes very complex indeed.

Notwithstanding you go on to say some administrations seek to ban that,
I doubt if the Mayor has mixed such a thing into his promise.

The only place I recall permission plus a limit (maybe an hour, I don't
remember) on multiple trips - which includes their Metro as well as
buses - is Brussels and I don't think that has an anti-return or
anti-circular-trip mechanism.

Roland Perry May 9th 16 06:54 PM

Mayor Sadiq

In message , at
18:38:29 on Mon, 9 May 2016, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
The crucial issue is whether the 3 caps are hard wired into the card
and system design or if there is flexibility to add more caps within
the system.

Isn't part of the point of the new back office system for contactless
that it can be told to do more and cleverer stuff?

But doesn't it still do no capping at all (or am I out of date)?

Roland Perry May 9th 16 07:03 PM

Mayor Sadiq

In message , at 19:49:39 on Mon,
9 May 2016, Graham Murray remarked:
Roland Perry writes:

In message , at 14:02:08 on Mon, 9
May 2016, Walter Briscoe remarked:
It says he will "Freeze TfL transport fares for four years and introduce
a one-hour bus ‘Hopper’ ticket ..."

Is the Hopper one hour between first and last touch-in, given that
people don't touch *out*?

And that some single journeys can take more than an hour.

Such a journey doesn't require two tickets now, and few would expect it
to in future.

Or make it that you have to touch out of bus journeys and treat it
similarly to underground/rail OSI such that touching in on one bus
within a period of touching out of another, is considered to be one
journey. So for example if you were to travel from Waterloo to
Paddington by catching a 211 or 507 and change at Victoria to the next
36 or 436, it would count as one journey.

An hour is a rather small granularity to be messing with OSIs I think.

Mizter T May 9th 16 09:11 PM

Mayor Sadiq

On 09/05/2016 18:38, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 09/05/2016 17:45, Paul Corfield wrote:

The crucial issue is whether the 3 caps are hard wired into the card
and system design or if there is flexibility to add more caps within
the system.

Isn't part of the point of the new back office system for contactless
that it can be told to do more and cleverer stuff?

Yep, ditto my thinking. (Hence Monday-Sunday caps on contactless and
whatever else may yet be to come.)

If there is flexibility then yes, broadly, an hourly cap
works *provided* you don't care about whether people can make a return
journey for a single fare within 1 hour.

That has long been possible on Tramlink (within 90 minutes, maybe?).

70 minutes for contactless/Oyster, but only one change, i.e. using two
trams. It's 90 minutes for paper single tickets (still available at tram
stop ticket machines).

It also allows for one free change from some local buses which feed the
tram in the New Addington area (used to be T-prefixed bus routes but the
bus network was remodelled recently so the T-buses are no more) -
however again this is just one free transfer, i.e. feeder bus+tram, so
feeder bus+tram+tram is two fares.

All outlined on this page (inc list of feeder bus routes):
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/bus-and-tram

If the Oyster system isn't flexible enough for the 'hour hopper' ticket,
then I could imagine the 70 minute one free transfer being implemented
instead (i.e. copying what happens on Tramlink). Not what was in the
manifesto, but arguably close enough.

Mizter T May 9th 16 09:26 PM

Mayor Sadiq

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-05-07/new-london-mayor-sadiq-khan-receives-the-biggest-personal-mandate-in-british-political-history/

1.3m votes (including second preference) from a City of 8.5m people only
5.5m have registered to vote is not that big of an endorsement.

Much the same can be said of the votes accrued to any one political
party in a general election.

The point of that article is just that (lots of) people voted directly
for him, which is explained by his position (Mayor) being highly unusual
in British terms given the size of the electorate. Though in future
further metro Mayors are on their way (e.g. Greater Manchester).

But as an out-of-London person, I'll be doing my best to keep him to his
very clear promise not to increase TfL fares for the next four years.

Amongst other things, worth bearing in mind that the Travelcard is a
joint TfL+NR product, and so the new Mayor won't be able to unilaterally
freeze the prices of it - though IIRC he will be able to insist on it
only increasing by inflation/RPI (the rule is that any above-RPI
increases need to be agreed by both the London TOCs and TfL - the TOCs
will basically always agree to that, meanwhile what TfL agrees to
depends on the Mayor's policy).

He also has no power to freeze NR Oyster/contactless PAYG fares (and
UIVMM part of the Crossrail concession deal between TfL and central
government is that Crossrail/Betty line fares are on the NR fare scale).

Not a big bus user currently, but his promise of transferable fares for
an hour is also something which might well make me use them more.

You can enjoy one of Boris's legacies, the Roastmaster bus, which has
come out to play in the recent hot weather!

tim... May 9th 16 10:14 PM

Mayor Sadiq

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 May 2016 15:54:44 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 15:46:23 on
Mon, 9 May 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:
As we have no commercial product definition for the "Hopper Ticket" it
is impossible to say whether the technology currently on buses and in
central systems can support the new product. I could speculate in all
sorts of ways as to how it could work but there'd be no point. My
only observation would be that I can't see that it will be a "quick
fix" issue taking only weeks to introduce.

If it's based on the current hardware, then an "hourly cap" would seem
to fit the bill, and the Oyster daily capping software is already in
place (isn't it?)

Yes but AFAIK there are only 3 caps that can be supported - bus and
tram day cap, off peak daily,

hasn't the off peak cap been abolished?

tim

Mizter T May 9th 16 10:28 PM

Mayor Sadiq

On 09/05/2016 23:14, tim... wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote:
[...]
If it's based on the current hardware, then an "hourly cap" would seem
to fit the bill, and the Oyster daily capping software is already in
place (isn't it?)

Yes but AFAIK there are only 3 caps that can be supported - bus and
tram day cap, off peak daily,

hasn't the off peak cap been abolished?

Yes within zones 1-6 (though still exists beyond), but a change in fares
policy doesn't mean the technical specifications of Oyster magically
change at the same time.

See the differential peak and off-peak caps for journeys beyond zone 6
in these tables:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/national-rail-adult-fares.pdf

Recliner[_3_] May 10th 16 09:42 AM

Mayor Sadiq

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2016 19:53:20 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 17:45:25 on
Mon, 9 May 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:

an hourly cap works *provided* you don't care about whether people can
make a return journey for a single fare within 1 hour. If you do care
about that then the checking logic becomes very complex indeed.

Notwithstanding you go on to say some administrations seek to ban that,
I doubt if the Mayor has mixed such a thing into his promise.

The only place I recall permission plus a limit (maybe an hour, I don't
remember) on multiple trips - which includes their Metro as well as
buses - is Brussels and I don't think that has an anti-return or
anti-circular-trip mechanism.

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

Good work. I guess they could read the opinion polls just like everyone
else, and realised very early on that Sadiq was the likely winner and they
should be helping him with one of his key pledges.

I did notice that in one of his victory speeches he was fulsome in his
praise for the police and fire services, but just said that he looked
forward to working with TfL. He's also on the record as saying how flabby
and wasteful it is:

"Fares don’t have to keep going up like this.

Because at the same time as fares have gone up, TfL has become more and
more bloated.
They simply haven’t had to make the efficiency savings that other parts of
the public sector have had to in recent years.

Did you know - they pay 450 staff more than £100,000 a year.

They spend £383 million a year on consultants and agency workers – which
has more than doubled under Boris Johnson.

They wasted £900 million on the tube signalling contract disaster with
Bombardier.

And they bizarrely still have entirely separate engineering operations for
underground and surface transport - which wastes hundreds of millions of
pounds on two sets of overheads, backroom functions and procurement.
So TfL is flabby.

And it’s not acceptable."

From
http://www.sadiq.london/i_ll_be_the_...ore_affordable

Roland Perry May 10th 16 10:16 AM

Mayor Sadiq

In message , at 10:32:49 on
Tue, 10 May 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

Let's hope it does - they've given themselves plenty of time.

And doesn't get into an eternal September timewarp like the night tube
(Sept 2015).

What is it about September, and TfL, anyway?

tim... May 10th 16 10:17 AM

Mayor Sadiq

"Recliner" wrote in message
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2016 19:53:20 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 17:45:25 on
[...]

It's impossible to say that this represents bad value for money without
knowing what these workers achieved and what the equivalent cost of doing
the work with "full-time" employees would have been.

Using agency workers isn't always the worst case cost-wise, plenty of major
companies use them precisely because they are cheaper.

(Though I accept that they are, almost, always bad from the pov of workers
rights, so if you are a left leaning organisation/person this fact may trump
all others. But you can't use "cost" as a proxy for this argument, you have
to make it explicitly)

They wasted £900 million on the tube signalling contract disaster with
Bombardier.

wasn't this forced upon them by HMG, despite TfL's protestations?

tim

Recliner[_3_] May 10th 16 10:18 AM

Mayor Sadiq

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2016 19:53:20 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 17:45:25 on
[...]

I've heard that there was Treasury pressure to "save" money, but it was
actually Boris's decision to overrule Peter Hendy, who knew it was a bad
idea.

David Cantrell May 11th 16 10:53 AM

Mayor Sadiq

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:32:49AM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

I'll believe it when TfL say it. It's far too common for a reporter to
misunderstand something and report a great deal more than the facts.

Of course, if it does happen as reported, then TfL must have been
working on it before Khan's election, which means that this is something
that Johnson can take the credit for :-)

--
David Cantrell | Pope | First Church of the Symmetrical Internet

PERL: Politely Expressed Racoon Love

[email protected] May 11th 16 11:11 AM

Mayor Sadiq

On Wed, 11 May 2016 11:53:49 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:32:49AM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

I'll believe it when TfL say it. It's far too common for a reporter to
misunderstand something and report a great deal more than the facts.

Of course, if it does happen as reported, then TfL must have been
working on it before Khan's election, which means that this is something
that Johnson can take the credit for :-)

It wouldn't even be TfL working on it - it'll be Cubic or whoever their
supplier is these days and seems to me its a pretty simple update to the
bus card readers. If time now - last time card used 1 hour then don't
charge. I'd be amazed if its more than a couple of lines of code.

No idea why it will take september to roll it out - is updating the reader
software an involved task that requires buses being out of service for a long
period?

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] May 11th 16 11:34 AM

Mayor Sadiq

David Cantrell wrote:
[...]

Is capping implemented in the bus card readers themselves, or the back
office?

Recliner[_3_] May 11th 16 11:37 AM

Mayor Sadiq

wrote:

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:32:49AM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

I'll believe it when TfL say it. It's far too common for a reporter to
misunderstand something and report a great deal more than the facts.

Will this do?

Quote:
Speaking about the launch of the new fare, London’s Transport
Commissioner, Mike Brown, said: “This new option will benefit a huge
number of our passengers. For many people catching more than one bus
is the only way they can get from A to B. This fare will enable us to
better meet the needs of those Londoners who live or work in areas
which aren’t as well served by Tube or rail services.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...-in-september/

Of course, if it does happen as reported, then TfL must have been
working on it before Khan's election, which means that this is something
that Johnson can take the credit for :-)

Not if it wasn't his policy or if he didn't announce it as a future
plan.

Neil Williams May 11th 16 12:44 PM

Mayor Sadiq

On 2016-05-10 09:32:49 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

Certainly a good thing which I recall some on here suggesting was impossible.

Next step - a proper Verbundtarif? One zonal fare for any journey
involving any combination of modes, and a second lower flat fare for
any journey involving only buses?

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] May 11th 16 01:09 PM

Mayor Sadiq

David Cantrell wrote:
[...]

Would be too slow if the reader had to phone home for every touch in. Must
be implemented internally presumably with any new settings uploaded each
day at the depot.

--
Spud

[email protected] May 11th 16 02:21 PM

Mayor Sadiq

wrote:

[...]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...ngdom/england/
london/articles/tfls-london-bus-hopper-fare-to-commence-in-september/

Caroline Pigeon and the London Lib Dems have been banging on about this for
a decade so there would have been reasons to look at feasibility for some
time now.

One advantage of this change is that it will allow considerable route
simplification if TfL wants it. Routes are partly based on avoiding
passengers changing buses and this will become less of a consideration (but
not none at all) in future.

--
Colin Rosenstiel