Old May 14th 16, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq's proposed new anti-pollution measures

On Sat, 14 May 2016 11:28:24 +0100, eastender

On 2016-05-13 15:48:59 +0000, Recliner said:

•Extending the Ultra-Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) to the North Circular Road
and the South Circular Road and the possibility of bringing forward the
introduction earlier than 2020. Under current plans the ULEZ will only
operate within the Congestion Charging Zone and it is due to come in from
2020.

This will affect a large number of cars in poorer areas I reckon. I
guess it has to happen though. I think it will knock out our car, a
2005 Volvo, a petrol model that has many thousands of miles left in it
and is no smoky diesel.

Yes, I suppose you're right: poorer areas will have older cars that
are more likely to fall foul of the new rules. A lot of quite new
diesels will suffer a big fall in resale value if they're effectively
no longer usable in London.

My car, which was as clean as any when new, will also fail the new
tests, so if I still own it when the ULEZ comes in, I'll be liable to
pay the new charge if I ever take it inside the North Circular (which
I now seldom do, anyway).
Old May 14th 16, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:56:21 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner remarked:

A lot of quite new diesels will suffer a big fall in resale value if
they're effectively no longer usable in London.

A windfall for those of us outside London.

The only times I drive inside the North Circular is when playing
Taxi-Dad for my daughter who is coming to the end of her studies at UCL
in a couple of weeks.

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?
Old May 14th 16, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 May 2016 13:09:28 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 11:56:21 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner remarked:

A lot of quite new diesels will suffer a big fall in resale value if
they're effectively no longer usable in London.

A windfall for those of us outside London.

The only times I drive inside the North Circular is when playing
Taxi-Dad for my daughter who is coming to the end of her studies at UCL
in a couple of weeks.

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

No, you'll still be welcome to drive into the zone, but will have to
pay up, just as you would to cross a toll bridge. The aim isn't to ban
dirty vehicles (yet), but to nudge owners of older vehicles into
replacing them. There's talk of a diesel scrappage scheme to further
encourage this switch.
Old May 14th 16, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:17:06 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner remarked:

A lot of quite new diesels will suffer a big fall in resale value if
they're effectively no longer usable in London.

A windfall for those of us outside London.

The only times I drive inside the North Circular is when playing
Taxi-Dad for my daughter who is coming to the end of her studies at UCL
in a couple of weeks.

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

No, you'll still be welcome to drive into the zone, but will have to
pay up, just as you would to cross a toll bridge.

Even on Sundays when the congestion charge doesn't apply?

The aim isn't to ban dirty vehicles (yet), but to nudge owners of older
vehicles into replacing them.

But my current vehicle is precisely one that legislation, rather than
engineering, decreed I should buy when the previous one hit various
artificial limits.

There's talk of a diesel scrappage scheme to further encourage this
switch.

Euro n-1 hopefully. Diesels are still on track to save the planet from
peak oil.
Old May 14th 16, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:17:06 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner remarked:

A lot of quite new diesels will suffer a big fall in resale value if
they're effectively no longer usable in London.

A windfall for those of us outside London.

The only times I drive inside the North Circular is when playing
Taxi-Dad for my daughter who is coming to the end of her studies at UCL
in a couple of weeks.

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

No, you'll still be welcome to drive into the zone, but will have to
pay up, just as you would to cross a toll bridge.

Even on Sundays when the congestion charge doesn't apply?

Yes, 24 hours a day.

The aim isn't to ban dirty vehicles (yet), but to nudge owners of older
vehicles into replacing them.

But my current vehicle is precisely one that legislation, rather than
engineering, decreed I should buy when the previous one hit various
artificial limits.

Yup. We're now much more aware of the non-CO2 pollution from diesels.

There's talk of a diesel scrappage scheme to further encourage this
switch.

Euro n-1 hopefully. Diesels are still on track to save the planet from
peak oil.

Peak oil? That's a quaint old notion. We'll all be using electric or
hydrogen powered vehicles for clean air/global warming reasons long before
peak oil.

Old May 14th 16, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:54:34 on Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:
But my current vehicle is precisely one that legislation, rather than
engineering, decreed I should buy when the previous one hit various
artificial limits.

Yup. We're now much more aware of the non-CO2 pollution from diesels.

The previous [petrol] car would have failed on account of hydrocarbon
emissions.
Old May 14th 16, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

I've had no problems traveling on the Victoria and Picadilly plus a
bus with two suitcases, a large shoulder bag and a backpack.

--
jhk
Old May 14th 16, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:26:08 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Jarle Hammen Knudsen remarked:
Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

I've had no problems traveling on the Victoria and Picadilly plus a
bus with two suitcases, a large shoulder bag and a backpack.

That's about a third of what's required.