Old February 28th 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's newest underground railway

Hi all,

The picture in page 2 of
http://www.murphygroup.co.uk/pdf/Tunnelling/Elstree.pdf seems to show that
there is (or was) a single track railway in the new National Grid tunnel
from Elstree to St Johns Wood, underneath the A5. Despite having almost half
the cross-sectional area of a Jubilee Line Extension tunnel, the whole 20
kilometres of it seems to have been built for the cost of 200 metres of
double-track JLE! (An unfair comparison for several reasons...)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 28th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
The picture in page 2 of
http://www.murphygroup.co.uk/pdf/Tunnelling/Elstree.pdf seems to show that
there is (or was) a single track railway in the new National Grid tunnel
from Elstree to St Johns Wood, underneath the A5. Despite having almost

half
the cross-sectional area of a Jubilee Line Extension tunnel, the whole 20
kilometres of it seems to have been built for the cost of 200 metres of
double-track JLE! (An unfair comparison for several reasons...)

The document refers to a monorail inspection system - a bit different from a
proper railway.
Cheerz,
Baz

Old February 28th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Hi all,

The picture in page 2 of
http://www.murphygroup.co.uk/pdf/Tunnelling/Elstree.pdf seems to show that
there is (or was) a single track railway in the new National Grid tunnel
from Elstree to St Johns Wood, underneath the A5. Despite having almost half
the cross-sectional area of a Jubilee Line Extension tunnel, the whole 20
kilometres of it seems to have been built for the cost of 200 metres of
double-track JLE! (An unfair comparison for several reasons...)

Unfair comparison because JLE wasn't built by Murphy's erm... imported
workforce? ;-)

--
Bob Adams
Old February 28th 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, John Rowland wrote:

The picture in page 2 of
http://www.murphygroup.co.uk/pdf/Tunnelling/Elstree.pdf seems to show
that there is (or was) a single track railway in the new National Grid
tunnel from Elstree to St Johns Wood, underneath the A5.

It'll doubtless be a boon to the little people, and especially useful now
that the Mail Rail has closed.

tom

--
Come with me, and we'll go dreaming.

Old February 29th 04, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

snip

I forgot to ask... are the "fanshafters" on the group interested in the
location of the access shafts? I've stumbled across 2 so far (the north side
of Colindale Avenue, and the southern end of Brockley Hill), and will
probably stumble across the Cricklewood and Kilburn ones before too long.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 29th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" writes:

I forgot to ask... are the "fanshafters" on the group interested in the
location of the access shafts?

closet "fanshafter" [1] comes out of fanshaft-closet ;-)

Well, I *do* have a near-insatiable appetite for finding out about tunnel
works, whether they be for human transport or not. I suppose this is a
"yes" then! Thanks for the v.interesting link.

[1] - Being a hopeless pedant, I squirm at seeing a noun used as a verb;
but a certain person (he knows who he is) has done this so much with the
noun "fan-shaft" that the present participle of the "verbed noun"
("fan-shafting") has begun to exist in its own right. My ears pricked
up, though, when I saw the noun that describes "one who goes
a-fan-shafting" being used on Usenet, though!

To fanshaft -- to make an exploration, sometimes but not always in
specific locations, in order to determine the location and exact use of
construction, access or ventilation shafts leading from the surface down
to tunnel level (usually thus-far for tunnels relating to the
Underground).

I fanshaft
You fanshaft
He/She/It fanshafts
We fanshaft
You (pl) fanshaft
They fanshaft

Present participle - fanshafting
Past participle - fanshafted

Fanshafter - one who goes a-fanshafting

I'll get me coat!

--
Richard.
http://www.squarewheels.org.uk/

Old June 1st 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

I forgot to ask... are the "fanshafters" on the group
interested in the location of the access shafts?
I've stumbled across 2 so far (the north side
of Colindale Avenue, and the southern end of
Brockley Hill), and will probably stumble across
the Cricklewood and Kilburn ones before too long.

I suspect the Cricklewood one is inside a construction site at Roman Way, on
the east side of Edgware Road opposite the bus garage, i.e. between the two
curves leading to the Dudding Hill freight line. It might take trespass to
be sure.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped