London Banter

-   -   13 foot deep hole appears under railway in Forest Hill (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15007-13-foot-deep-hole-appears.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] July 18th 16 11:57 PM

13 foot deep hole appears under railway in Forest Hill

Charles Ellson[_2_] July 19th 16 12:42 AM

13 foot deep hole appears under railway in Forest Hill

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 00:57:37 +0100, Basil Jet

I refer the Hon. Usenaut to the previous "Wrong kind of hole on the
line at Forest Hill".

Recliner[_3_] July 19th 16 01:19 AM

13 foot deep hole appears under railway in Forest Hill

Basil Jet wrote:

.... second thread on the hole ....

Nick Leverton July 19th 16 01:30 AM

13 foot deep hole appears under railway in Forest Hill

In article ,
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

... second thread on the hole ....

Threaded holes ? Something's screwy ...

Nick

Basil Jet[_4_] July 19th 16 07:46 AM

On 2016\07\19 01:42, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 00:57:37 +0100, Basil Jet

I refer the Hon. Usenaut to the previous "Wrong kind of hole on the
line at Forest Hill".

Since my post was to uk.transport.london as well as uk.railway, and the
thread to which you refer was only in uk.railway, you two trying to make
a fool of me have made fools of yourselves by maintaining the crosspost.

Martin Coffee July 19th 16 08:37 AM

On 19/07/16 08:46, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\07\19 01:42, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 00:57:37 +0100, Basil Jet

I refer the Hon. Usenaut to the previous "Wrong kind of hole on the
line at Forest Hill".

Since my post was to uk.transport.london as well as uk.railway, and the
thread to which you refer was only in uk.railway, you two trying to make
a fool of me have made fools of yourselves by maintaining the crosspost.

If you're going to take that stance I would suggest you've made a fool
of yourself by cross posting it to uk.railway when it had previously
been reported here. Why didn't you post it to uk.transport.london alone?

Mizter T July 26th 16 02:40 PM

13 foot deep hole appears under railway in Forest Hill

On 19/07/2016 00:57, Basil Jet wrote:

Do Network Rail do any kind of checks or investigations for the
potential of such sink holes... indeed is it even possible?

(A question for someone versed in soil mechanics I guess... a
fascinating field of which I have no expertise!)

[email protected] July 26th 16 03:15 PM

13 foot deep hole appears under railway in Forest Hill

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 15:40:52 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 19/07/2016 00:57, Basil Jet wrote:

Do Network Rail do any kind of checks or investigations for the
potential of such sink holes... indeed is it even possible?

(A question for someone versed in soil mechanics I guess... a
fascinating field of which I have no expertise!)

I'd be more worried about what caused it. Clearly there was some sort of
void underneath that had been forgotten about. A disused sewer or a cellar
or something? I wonder how many more there are?

--
Spud

Tim Watts[_3_] July 26th 16 04:34 PM

Mizter T wrote:
On 19/07/2016 00:57, Basil Jet wrote:

Do Network Rail do any kind of checks or investigations for the
potential of such sink holes... indeed is it even possible?

(A question for someone versed in soil mechanics I guess... a
fascinating field of which I have no expertise!)

I'd be more worried about what caused it. Clearly there was some sort of
void underneath that had been forgotten about. A disused sewer or a cellar
or something? I wonder how many more there are?

--
Spud

Sewer.

Wasting your time in London - the place is riddled with unknown
services, pipes and voids.