London Banter

-   -   Is Uber Bleeding to Death? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15115-uber-bleeding-death.html)

tim... September 18th 16 08:07 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

came into my in box via my linkedin account

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uber-...jared-carmel-2

posted without comment (for now)

tim

---

Offramp September 18th 16 09:35 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Sunday, 18 September 2016 09:08:03 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
came into my in box via my linkedin account

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uber-...jared-carmel-2

posted without comment (for now)

tim

Yesterday's (Saturday's) London Times features an exposé of Air B'n'b, which I read in a really desultory sort of way because I'm not that interested.

I mention it because in my mind Air b'n'b is a company with the same sort of raison d'être as Uber...

Robin9 September 19th 16 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim... (Post 158053)
came into my in box via my linkedin account

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uber-...jared-carmel-2

posted without comment (for now)

tim

---

Interesting. What surprises me is that Uber is deemed to be
losing money hand over fist. Not making enough profit to
provide investers with a satisfactory return is one thing.
Actually making a substantial loss is another. As Uber's
drivers are paid only a percentage of what customers are
charged, in London at least the business must show a profit
before overheads are included. Are Uber's overheads far
too high?

Recliner[_3_] September 19th 16 09:06 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

Robin9 wrote:

tim...;158053 Wrote:
came into my in box via my linkedin account

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uber-...jared-carmel-2

posted without comment (for now)

tim

---

Interesting. What surprises me is that Uber is deemed to be
losing money hand over fist. Not making enough profit to
provide investers with a satisfactory return is one thing.
Actually making a substantial loss is another. As Uber's
drivers are paid only a percentage of what customers are
charged, in London at least the business must show a profit
before overheads are included. Are Uber's overheads far
too high?

Uber's overheads are famously low. Why do you think Uber is making a profit
in London? It doesn't even make a profit in the US.

Uber makes no attempt to make a profit. It is pouring investment funds into
growth, with the aim of a mega IPO.

"Uber's losses and revenue have generally grown in lockstep as the
company's global ambitions have expanded. Uber has lost money quarter after
quarter. In 2015, Uber lost at least $2 billion before interest, taxes,
depreciation and amortization. Uber, which is seven years old, has lost at
least $4 billion in the history of the company."

"Subsidies for Uber's drivers are responsible for the majority of the
company's losses globally"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...t-half-of-2016

Offramp September 19th 16 09:30 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Monday, 19 September 2016 10:06:52 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
Uber makes no attempt to make a profit. It is pouring investment funds into
growth, with the aim of a mega IPO.

Initial public offering (on the Stock Exchange).

"Uber's losses and revenue have generally grown in lockstep

Google says, "close adherence to and emulation of another's actions."

as the
company's global ambitions have expanded. Uber has lost money quarter after
quarter. In 2015, Uber lost at least $2 billion before interest, taxes,
depreciation and amortization.

Wikipedia says, "the process of reducing, or accounting for, an amount (usually a financial debt) over a period according to a plan."

tim... September 19th 16 11:19 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

"Recliner" wrote in message
Robin9 wrote:

tim...;158053 Wrote:
[...]

And now on earth do Uber spend so much on subsidising drivers?

The drivers pay all of the costs of running the car and Uber pay them a
percentage of the fare to cover those costs and provide an income for the
driver (some argue, a pittance of an income). All Uber pay for is the
advertising and the Hailing/tracking "technology".

It is, of course, the sunk costs of investing in new technology that causes
starts ups to report losses in the initial years of operation that need to
be recouped later. But much of it is a one off cost that doesn't re-occur
year after year, and in any case Uber's technology is pretty simple. Apart
from having to add servers to their cluster (whatever the technical term
really is) as demand grows, what additional technology costs do they have in
year 2, 3 4 ...?

It's the same basic app(s) that need to be downloaded - either by users or
by drivers (OK it needs translating, but if that is costing them more than a
couple of grand per language they have been ripped off), and the
infrastructure that it is downloaded over, and used on, is provided by
someone else (with access costs paid by the user/driver)

Unless ... Uber are somehow paying for the cars up front for drivers who
can't afford to fund them themselves?

If there are, and this is the cause of the losses, then they are
constructing the accounting for the transaction wrongly. The value of the
cars (or the outstanding loans) should remain in the P&L as a capital item
and offset any loss in the accounts cause by spending the cash on the cars.

All that leaves is the adverting costs as they roll out to new countries

but 2 billion per year on advertising - really!

Perhaps this is some taxation game that they are playing reporting these
losses?

tim

Recliner[_3_] September 19th 16 01:01 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 12:19:15 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Robin9 wrote:

tim...;158053 Wrote:
[...]

Read what I quoted:
"Subsidies for Uber's drivers are responsible for the majority of the
company's losses globally"

It is, of course, the sunk costs of investing in new technology that causes
starts ups to report losses in the initial years of operation that need to
be recouped later. But much of it is a one off cost that doesn't re-occur
year after year, and in any case Uber's technology is pretty simple. Apart
from having to add servers to their cluster (whatever the technical term
really is) as demand grows, what additional technology costs do they have in
year 2, 3 4 ...?

Nobody said they were technology costs. As the reports say, they're
driver subsidies.

It's the same basic app(s) that need to be downloaded - either by users or
by drivers (OK it needs translating, but if that is costing them more than a
couple of grand per language they have been ripped off), and the
infrastructure that it is downloaded over, and used on, is provided by
someone else (with access costs paid by the user/driver)

Unless ... Uber are somehow paying for the cars up front for drivers who
can't afford to fund them themselves?

No. But they overpay drivers in most start-up cities, or guarantee a
level of business, whether or not it's achieved.

If there are, and this is the cause of the losses, then they are
constructing the accounting for the transaction wrongly. The value of the
cars (or the outstanding loans) should remain in the P&L as a capital item
and offset any loss in the accounts cause by spending the cash on the cars.

All that leaves is the adverting costs as they roll out to new countries

No

but 2 billion per year on advertising - really!

No. Read the quoted report.

Perhaps this is some taxation game that they are playing reporting these
losses?

No, but those losses will be carried forward to offset future profits
when they arrive.

Do you *really* think Uber's business is that simple?

Do a bit of Googling...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhue.../#1d82793f2bd6

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/09/te...hina.html?_r=0

http://therideshareguy.com/how-does-...-pricing-work/

tim... September 19th 16 02:10 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Robin9 wrote:

tim...;158053 Wrote:
[...]

I read that bit - I saw it in the article as well

I am questioning what these subsidies actually are.

It is, of course, the sunk costs of investing in new technology that
causes
starts ups to report losses in the initial years of operation that need to
be recouped later. But much of it is a one off cost that doesn't re-occur
year after year, and in any case Uber's technology is pretty simple.
Apart
from having to add servers to their cluster (whatever the technical term
really is) as demand grows, what additional technology costs do they have
in
year 2, 3 4 ...?

Nobody said they were technology costs. As the reports say, they're
driver subsidies.

but what are they?

It's the same basic app(s) that need to be downloaded - either by users or
by drivers (OK it needs translating, but if that is costing them more than
couple of grand per language they have been ripped off), and the
infrastructure that it is downloaded over, and used on, is provided by
someone else (with access costs paid by the user/driver)

Unless ... Uber are somehow paying for the cars up front for drivers who
can't afford to fund them themselves?

No. But they overpay drivers in most start-up cities, or guarantee a
level of business, whether or not it's achieved.

It still seems a lot

I found an article on the roll out of Uber in London

The guy who was responsible for finding new drivers had a budget of 50K per
week to subsidise new drivers

that 2.5 million per year

that's a mile away from 2 billion

if they are paying that much to roll out in 1000 new cities a year I suggest
that their plans are overly ambitious

If there are, and this is the cause of the losses, then they are
constructing the accounting for the transaction wrongly. The value of the
cars (or the outstanding loans) should remain in the P&L as a capital item
and offset any loss in the accounts cause by spending the cash on the
cars.

All that leaves is the adverting costs as they roll out to new countries

No

but 2 billion per year on advertising - really!

No. Read the quoted report.

I did

it gave no indication as to what they were paying for.

Perhaps this is some taxation game that they are playing reporting these
losses?

No, but those losses will be carried forward to offset future profits
when they arrive.

Do you *really* think Uber's business is that simple?

Is how simple

yes I do

spending billions on trying to win a market of millions is just silly

tim

Recliner[_3_] September 19th 16 03:13 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Robin9 wrote:

tim...;158053 Wrote:
[...]

That may well be so.

If there are, and this is the cause of the losses, then they are
constructing the accounting for the transaction wrongly. The value of the
cars (or the outstanding loans) should remain in the P&L as a capital item
and offset any loss in the accounts cause by spending the cash on the
cars.

All that leaves is the adverting costs as they roll out to new countries

No

but 2 billion per year on advertising - really!

No. Read the quoted report.

I did

it gave no indication as to what they were paying for.

I suggest you read the reports again and look for the word 'China'.

Perhaps this is some taxation game that they are playing reporting these
losses?

No, but those losses will be carried forward to offset future profits
when they arrive.

Do you *really* think Uber's business is that simple?

Is how simple

yes I do

I look forward to your next management textbook. It should be refreshingly
short.

spending billions on trying to win a market of millions is just silly

Ah well, you'd better sell your well-informed investment advice to the
billionaire funds investing in Uber. You clearly understand this market
much better than they do.

Robin9 September 19th 16 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recliner[_3_] (Post 158072)
Robin9 wrote:

tim...;158053 Wrote:
came into my in box via my linkedin account

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uber-...jared-carmel-2

posted without comment (for now)

tim

---

Interesting. What surprises me is that Uber is deemed to be
losing money hand over fist. Not making enough profit to
provide investers with a satisfactory return is one thing.
Actually making a substantial loss is another. As Uber's
drivers are paid only a percentage of what customers are
charged, in London at least the business must show a profit
before overheads are included. Are Uber's overheads far
too high?

Uber's overheads are famously low. Why do you think Uber is making a profit
in London? It doesn't even make a profit in the US.

If Uber can't make a profit before overheads are included,
they must be grossly incompetent. Remember how the London
minicab trade works. The driver is deemed to be self-employed,
and pays for the car, insurance and petrol himself. The customer
pays Uber by credit card and Uber pays a small percentage to the
driver.

As Uber seems to have taken a huge share of the market away
from both Hackney cabs and minicabs, the number of jobs per
day must be in the thousands. Multiply that number of jobs by
an average net revenue of, say, five pounds and you arrive at a
gross income which must be more than the cost of a minimal
office set-up.

tim... September 19th 16 06:25 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

Perhaps this is some taxation game that they are playing reporting
these
losses?

No, but those losses will be carried forward to offset future profits
when they arrive.

Do you *really* think Uber's business is that simple?

Is how simple

yes I do

I look forward to your next management textbook. It should be refreshingly
short.

spending billions on trying to win a market of millions is just silly

Ah well, you'd better sell your well-informed investment advice to the
billionaire funds investing in Uber. You clearly understand this market
much better than they do.

Everything that I did find when trying to research this shows that
everything in the Garden is not rosy for Uber

I suspect that the backers will get cold feet soon

tim

Recliner[_3_] September 19th 16 09:02 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;158072']Robin9 wrote:-

tim...;158053 Wrote: -
[...]

Uber is investing in market growth. That's where the big money goes. So it
subsidies drivers to get into new markets, and spends a lot on marketing. I
dare say it spends a lot on political lobbying as well.

The really big losses were in China, but that's now stopped, so from now
on, the losses should taper. But it's still fighting competitive battles in
many markets, so bottom line profits will remain illusive.

It also seems to be spending a lot on driverless technologies, as it
expects these to be cheaper than drivers within a few years. But that means
it will need to invest in the cars.

Robin9 September 20th 16 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recliner[_3_] (Post 158092)
Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;158072']Robin9
wrote:-

tim...;158053 Wrote: -
[...]

I'm discussing the situation in London, and there is no
indication that Uber are subsidising their drivers here. I am
sceptical that they do anywhere, and I'm not persuaded
merely because it is stated on the Internet.

I'd like someone who believes that Uber are subsidising their
drivers to explain in detail how this is done.

Recliner[_3_] September 20th 16 09:11 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;158092']Robin9 wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158072']Robin9

-

[...]

Google is your friend:

https://seattletransitblog.com/2016/...-of-subsidies/

http://www.financialexpress.com/indu...n-loss/358291/

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...l-survive-uber

http://www.hybridcars.com/uber-loses...ke-their-toll/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhue.../#6fcde8ad2bd6

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ubers-hands...f-2016-1578115

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhue.../#354f4fe08c57

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...y-defeat-lyft/

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47600297.cms

Recliner[_3_] September 20th 16 12:10 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 19:25:51 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

Perhaps this is some taxation game that they are playing reporting
these
losses?

No, but those losses will be carried forward to offset future profits
when they arrive.

Do you *really* think Uber's business is that simple?

Is how simple

yes I do

I look forward to your next management textbook. It should be refreshingly
short.

spending billions on trying to win a market of millions is just silly

Ah well, you'd better sell your well-informed investment advice to the
billionaire funds investing in Uber. You clearly understand this market
much better than they do.

Everything that I did find when trying to research this shows that
everything in the Garden is not rosy for Uber

I think that was your view before doing any research.

I suspect that the backers will get cold feet soon

Perhaps they will, but not for the reasons you think.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/08/ubers...oundation.html

[email protected] September 20th 16 01:46 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 13:10:55 +0100
Recliner wrote:
Perhaps they will, but not for the reasons you think.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/08/ubers...e-on-shaky-fou
dation.html

Like the majority of the current crop of silicon valley start ups then. I'm
amazed the bubble has lasted this long. There must be a boatload of gullible
rich idiots out there bankrolling them all.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] September 20th 16 02:08 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

Recliner wrote:
Perhaps they will, but not for the reasons you think.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/08/ubers...e-on-shaky-fou
dation.html

Like the majority of the current crop of silicon valley start ups then. I'm
amazed the bubble has lasted this long. There must be a boatload of gullible
rich idiots out there bankrolling them all.

Yup, I can never understand the huge valuations put on high profile SV
startups. But sometimes they actually prove they can eventually make real
profits (eg, Facebook), and in many other cases they exit on a decent
valuation. So the early investors often make a very good multiple, which
pays for the others that don't make it.

With Uber, the investors aren't betting on the current business model, but
on an imagined future where people don't own their own cars, but rent
transport as they need it. Uber's plan is to dominate that market, and the
VCs are prepared to fund it to do so.

tim... September 20th 16 02:27 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

[...]

Nope

I thought that it had questionable business practices, but I (sadly) also
thought that it was destined to take over the world

I suspect that the backers will get cold feet soon

Perhaps they will, but not for the reasons you think.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/08/ubers...oundation.html

ISTR that I made some of these comments before (about its MO being easy to
replicate)

I also don't recognise the basic premise

"They integrated a mostly unused stockpile of personal automobiles"

Um? Nhow many people do you know with a nearly new Mercedes S class (the
mandated type of car for early adopters) sitting in the garage unused whilst
they sit in the lounge twiddling their thumbs.

The average underemployed person who considers being a cabbie to make ends
meet has a beat up old Sierra (at best) in the garage

tim

tim... September 20th 16 02:32 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

Recliner wrote:
Perhaps they will, but not for the reasons you think.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/08/ubers...e-on-shaky-fou
dation.html

Like the majority of the current crop of silicon valley start ups then.
I'm
amazed the bubble has lasted this long. There must be a boatload of
gullible
rich idiots out there bankrolling them all.

with bank interest rate down at zero, there's a lot of money sloshing around
looking for a home

Early investors don't even need to believe in the long term prospects for
the company, all they need to believe in is the bigger fool coming along
later.

Just look at the absurd valuation of Ocardo against its piddly market share,
its piddly profit per delivery and it non-existent growth potential now that
every man and his dog supermarket has a competing operation (with lower
fulfilment costs)

tim

[email protected] September 20th 16 03:17 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:08:48 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
With Uber, the investors aren't betting on the current business model, but
on an imagined future where people don't own their own cars, but rent
transport as they need it. Uber's plan is to dominate that market, and the
VCs are prepared to fund it to do so.

Only people who only ever lived in a city flat would think renting a car on
an as-you-need-it basis is a viable model for family life out in the sticks.
If taxis and rental cars were the solution to every car problem then there
wouldn't be 15 million private cars in the UK.

Equally stupid is the rent your self driving car out when you're not using it
idea that I've seen put forward. Oh sure, I'll just let any old tom, dick or
harriett use the 2nd largest capital investment in my life as they see fit.
Vomit on the carpet and everything nicked from the boot is just what I want
the next day. Honestly , some of these californian techies live on another
planet. And I speak as a techie.

--
Spud

Robin9 September 20th 16 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recliner[_3_] (Post 158096)
Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;158092']Robin9
wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158072']Robin9
wrote:-

tim...;158053 Wrote: -
[...]

Google is not my friend and none of those links will
change that.

Not one persuaded me that Uber are genuinely
subsidising their drivers anywhere, least of all in London.
It is clear from those links that the idea of Uber's losses
arising from subsidies to drivers came from their financial
director, Guatam Gupta, who seems to have made no
attempt to substantiate the contention. As is the way of
the Internet, those unquantified assertions have been
repeated by people who are trying to pretend that they
have done original research and are in possession of
confidential information.

There is also the issue of semantics. Some of those links
show people confused by the differences between a subsidy,
a guarantee and a loss-leading market strategy.

Recliner[_3_] September 20th 16 09:38 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;158096']Robin9 wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158092']Robin9
wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158072']Robin9

http://tinyurl.com/zrtmng4

http://tinyurl.com/h4a9dz4

http://tinyurl.com/grxowog

http://tinyurl.com/j3fknwr

http://tinyurl.com/meu2elv

http://tinyurl.com/zrfhsdl

http://tinyurl.com/pyo4b3m

http://tinyurl.com/zk2hg4u

http://tinyurl.com/h7aac2h

Google is not my friend and none of those links will
change that.

In other words, your mind is made up, regardless of the evidence.

Not one persuaded me that Uber are genuinely
subsidising their drivers anywhere, least of all in London.
It is clear from those links that the idea of Uber's losses
arising from subsidies to drivers came from their financial
director, Guatam Gupta, who seems to have made no
attempt to substantiate the contention. As is the way of
the Internet, those unquantified assertions have been
repeated by people who are trying to pretend that they
have done original research and are in possession of
confidential information.

It looks like you've not read many of the links then.

There is also the issue of semantics. Some of those links
show people confused by the differences between a subsidy,
a guarantee and a loss-leading market strategy.

What confusion? Uber often pays its drivers more than the usual 80% of the
fare the customer paid. That's a driver subsidy, which hits Uber's bottom
line. It doesn't matter why Uber chooses to do it.

In the UK, new customers get a £15 discount. That's paid by Uber, not the
driver. In other words, a driver subsidy:

https://www.list.co.uk/offer/2097-ge...jor-uk-cities/

https://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/uber.com

So do you still maintain that "there is no indication that Uber are
subsidising their drivers here. I am sceptical that they do anywhere, and
I'm not persuaded merely because it is stated on the Internet"?

And if you disregard everything you read on the internet, what are you
doing here?

Robin9 September 21st 16 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recliner[_3_] (Post 158116)
Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;158096']Robin9
wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158092']Robin9
wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158072']Robin9
wrote:-

tim...;158053 Wrote: -
[...]

The facetious answer to your ill-mannered question
is that I'm trying to learn the mind-set of people who
do believe everything they read on the Internet.

The point you seem to have missed is that all those links
are repeating and elaborating on an assertion made by
someone who has a vested interest in propagating the
idea that Uber are subsidising drivers. Can you find
anywhere a confirmation by a driver that they are being
subsidised? Can you find any verification that the
calculations quoted are valid?

Another point you seem to be overlooking is that Uber
now find it necessary to advertise regularly for drivers on
LBC and on the Internet. Why do they? Almost certainly
because they are losing drivers. If drivers are being
subsidised and/or paid 80% of the fare paid, why are they
leaving Uber? Why do so many phone-in programs on the
radio have drivers complain that they can't make a living
working with Uber?

David Cantrell September 21st 16 02:03 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 03:10:42PM +0100, tim... wrote:

spending billions on trying to win a market of millions is just silly

Becoming the default choice for taxi services throughout the developed
world (which is what they seem to be going for) is not worth mere
millions.

What they're doing is very similar to what Amazon did early on. They
consistently lost money for the first few years, and only occasionally
made a profit since. It's only very recently that they started to make
vaguely reliable looking profits. Amazon spent those profitless years
buying the market.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

David Cantrell September 21st 16 02:34 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

Recliner wrote:
With Uber, the investors aren't betting on the current business model, but
on an imagined future where people don't own their own cars, but rent
transport as they need it. Uber's plan is to dominate that market, and the
VCs are prepared to fund it to do so.

Only people who only ever lived in a city flat would think renting a car on
an as-you-need-it basis is a viable model for family life out in the sticks.

There is an implicit "most" between "where" and "people".

Obviously there will still be a small market for people with their own
cars, just like there is a small market today for people who use horses,
and people who generate their own electricity, and people who insist on
speaking Welsh. If you want to make lots of money you can do it by
concentrating on and pandering to little minorities like that. But if
you want to make a vast amount of money you just don't care about those
minorities, at least when you're starting out.

All children should be aptitude-tested at an early age and,
if their main or only aptitude is for marketing, drowned.

[email protected] September 21st 16 02:48 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:34:22 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 03:17:06PM +0000, d wrote:
Only people who only ever lived in a city flat would think renting a car on
an as-you-need-it basis is a viable model for family life out in the sticks.

There is an implicit "most" between "where" and "people".

Obviously there will still be a small market for people with their own
cars, just like there is a small market today for people who use horses,

Cars were an enormous improvement on horses. Renting a car is zero improvement
upon owning one unless you have nowhere to park it or can't afford to buy one.
There are plenty of places to rent cars at the moment but do you see people
replacing their own cars with rentals or just using taxis? No. And just because
in the future a car might be able to drive itself will make zero difference to
that.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] September 21st 16 03:23 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;158116']Robin9 wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158096']Robin9
wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158092']Robin9
wrote:-

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote: -
;158072']Robin9

http://tinyurl.com/z5hsuer

https://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/uber.com

So do you still maintain that "there is no indication that Uber are
subsidising their drivers here. I am sceptical that they do anywhere,
and
I'm not persuaded merely because it is stated on the Internet"?

And if you disregard everything you read on the internet, what are you
doing here?

The facetious answer to your ill-mannered question
is that I'm trying to learn the mind-set of people who
do believe everything they read on the Internet.

And it appears that you only believe things on the internet if they are
things you believed already. If you didn't already believe it, you believe
it must be a lie. So, I ask again, why are you here? You're not going to
believe anything you don't already believe, so reading all these lies must
be very tedious for you.

The point you seem to have missed is that all those links
are repeating and elaborating on an assertion made by
someone who has a vested interest in propagating the
idea that Uber are subsidising drivers. Can you find
anywhere a confirmation by a driver that they are being
subsidised?

How would they even know? The customer pays Uber directly.

Can you find any verification that the
calculations quoted are valid?

Why should I? You're the one doubting everything, with no evidence to
support your assertions. Disprove it yourself, if you can. Simply saying
you disbelieve everything you don't like doesn't count.

Another point you seem to be overlooking is that Uber
now find it necessary to advertise regularly for drivers on
LBC and on the Internet. Why do they? Almost certainly
because they are losing drivers.

You seem to have forgotten that Uber is growing as fast as possible. That's
why it constantly advertises for both drivers and customers. Undoubtedly
there will be significant driver turnover, but even if there wasn't, Uber
would still be advertising for more drivers.

If drivers are being
subsidised and/or paid 80% of the fare paid, why are they
leaving Uber? Why do so many phone-in programs on the
radio have drivers complain that they can't make a living
working with Uber?

Obviously some can't. That doesn't mean that others don't. But just
because Uber feels the need to sometimes subside drivers doesn't mean that
they're well paid. Uber has a policy of reducing fares to gain market
share, which hurts driver income. Uber sometimes subsidises drivrs to
reduce this effect.

In any case, no-one has said that Uber always subsidises drivers, just that
it does so often enough to make hefty losses. This was particularly the
case in China, but that source of losses has now ceased.

Incidentally, the normal payment to drivers is 80% of the fare. It's a
subsidy when driver payments are more than that, for example when Uber
gives introductory discounts to new customers without cutting driver
payments. It's also a subsidy if drivers are guaranteed a certain level of
business, but the drivers may not see it that way.

But of course you won't accept any of this as you didn't believe it
already.

tim... September 21st 16 06:09 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

"Robin9" wrote in message

Another point you seem to be overlooking is that Uber
now find it necessary to advertise regularly for drivers on
LBC and on the Internet. Why do they? Almost certainly
because they are losing drivers. If drivers are being
subsidised and/or paid 80% of the fare paid, why are they
leaving Uber? Why do so many phone-in programs on the
radio have drivers complain that they can't make a living
working with Uber?

Because they aren't subsidising London anymore.

It is now a mature market (FSVO).

It is (subset of) RoW that gets the subsidies.

tim

Mizter T September 21st 16 06:54 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On 21/09/2016 19:09, tim... wrote:

"Robin9" wrote:

Another point you seem to be overlooking is that Uber
now find it necessary to advertise regularly for drivers on
LBC and on the Internet. Why do they? Almost certainly
because they are losing drivers. If drivers are being
subsidised and/or paid 80% of the fare paid, why are they
leaving Uber? Why do so many phone-in programs on the
radio have drivers complain that they can't make a living
working with Uber?

Because they aren't subsidising London anymore.

It is now a mature market (FSVO).

It is (subset of) RoW that gets the subsidies.

FWIW, Uber runs a v successful referral scheme - I think currently in
London it's £15 credit for the new customer, £10 for the referrer (only
valid on one journey though).

Recliner[_3_] September 22nd 16 05:58 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

tim... wrote:

"Robin9" wrote in message

Another point you seem to be overlooking is that Uber
now find it necessary to advertise regularly for drivers on
LBC and on the Internet. Why do they? Almost certainly
because they are losing drivers. If drivers are being
subsidised and/or paid 80% of the fare paid, why are they
leaving Uber? Why do so many phone-in programs on the
radio have drivers complain that they can't make a living
working with Uber?

Because they aren't subsidising London anymore.

It is now a mature market (FSVO).

It is (subset of) RoW that gets the subsidies.

Here's another part of the Uber business model: leasing cars to drivers.
It's not quite a subsidy, but it looks like Uber just about breaks even on
it. It's another way of maximising the supply of drivers, many of whom are
immigrants without enough credit history to buy new enough cars themselves:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/07/uber-...-industry.html

Roland Perry September 22nd 16 07:40 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

In message , at 14:48:42 on Wed, 21 Sep
2016, d remarked:

There are plenty of places to rent cars at the moment but do you see people
replacing their own cars with rentals or just using taxis? No.

The convenience of rental depends a great deal on where you live. I once
had a house in quite a small village and there was a (mom and pop)
rental place within a minute's walk. It was usually possible to turn up
and rent a car on spec.

Today living in a town ten times the size, I have a choice of a half
hour walk to a place that's usually booked up at least a week in
advance, or taking the train for a 45 minute trip to one of the majors.
And then it's at least another half hour drive back home to pick up
whatever it was I needed the car for.

There are a few other places closer, but they specialise in contract
hire and aren't interested (nor have availability) for periods of less
than a week.

Roland Perry September 22nd 16 07:46 AM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

In message , at 19:54:50 on Wed, 21 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:
Because they aren't subsidising London anymore.

It is now a mature market (FSVO).

It is (subset of) RoW that gets the subsidies.

FWIW, Uber runs a v successful referral scheme - I think currently in
London it's £15 credit for the new customer, £10 for the referrer (only
valid on one journey though).

Is the £25 deducted off the drivers who win those lucky rides, or is it
Uber? If the latter that's something which could be called a subsidy
(because the drivers are getting 80% of £25, more than the passengers
are paying).

Recliner[_3_] September 22nd 16 12:23 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:46:39 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 19:54:50 on Wed, 21 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:
Because they aren't subsidising London anymore.

It is now a mature market (FSVO).

It is (subset of) RoW that gets the subsidies.

FWIW, Uber runs a v successful referral scheme - I think currently in
London it's £15 credit for the new customer, £10 for the referrer (only
valid on one journey though).

Is the £25 deducted off the drivers who win those lucky rides, or is it
Uber? If the latter that's something which could be called a subsidy
(because the drivers are getting 80% of £25, more than the passengers
are paying).

As I said upthread, Uber pays. In effect, it's part of the driver
subsidy. I don't suppose the driver even knows the customer is getting
a discount, as he/she isn't involved in the financial transaction
(unless the customer mentions it).

Recliner[_3_] September 22nd 16 12:25 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:03:48 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 03:10:42PM +0100, tim... wrote:

spending billions on trying to win a market of millions is just silly

Becoming the default choice for taxi services throughout the developed
world (which is what they seem to be going for) is not worth mere
millions.

What they're doing is very similar to what Amazon did early on. They
consistently lost money for the first few years, and only occasionally
made a profit since. It's only very recently that they started to make
vaguely reliable looking profits. Amazon spent those profitless years
buying the market.

Exactly. People who only look at the deliberate short-term losses are
ignoring the bigger picture.

David Cantrell September 22nd 16 12:38 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 01:11:32PM +0200, Robin9 wrote:

Another point you seem to be overlooking is that Uber
now find it necessary to advertise regularly for drivers on
LBC and on the Internet. Why do they? Almost certainly
because they are losing drivers. If drivers are being
subsidised and/or paid 80% of the fare paid, why are they
leaving Uber? Why do so many phone-in programs on the
radio have drivers complain that they can't make a living
working with Uber?

You appear to be confusing Uber in London with Uber as a whole. The
article that started this whole thread was about the latter.

It is possible for both of these statements to be true:

* Uber subsidises some drivers
* Uber does not subsidise drivers in London

As for why they're advertising for drivers in London, it could be
because they're losing drivers. In fact they almost certainly are losing
drivers, because just like in every other business there is natural
staff turnover (please don't get pedantic about the employment
relationship, it's not relevant). It could also be because they are
still expanding and need more drivers, but they now have to advertise
for them because they've already got all the ones they didn't need to
advertise at. In reality it'll be a combination of both of those.

BTW, have you noticed that Arriva are *always* advertising for bus
drivers in London? Argh, doom, disaster! Arriva are bleeding to death!

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

One person can change the world, but most of the time they shouldn't
-- Marge Simpson

tim... September 22nd 16 03:12 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 21/09/2016 19:09, tim... wrote:

"Robin9" wrote:

Another point you seem to be overlooking is that Uber
now find it necessary to advertise regularly for drivers on
LBC and on the Internet. Why do they? Almost certainly
because they are losing drivers. If drivers are being
subsidised and/or paid 80% of the fare paid, why are they
leaving Uber? Why do so many phone-in programs on the
radio have drivers complain that they can't make a living
working with Uber?

Because they aren't subsidising London anymore.

It is now a mature market (FSVO).

It is (subset of) RoW that gets the subsidies.

FWIW, Uber runs a v successful referral scheme - I think currently in
London it's £15 credit for the new customer, £10 for the referrer (only
valid on one journey though).

still?

I would have thought that with all the banter on social medial Uber needed
no more help with finding customers, even in locations where they are new
players.

I frequently read posts on TA from people saying "please help us what to
see, restaurants to go to etc. We intend to Uber everywhere" even before
they have checked to see if Uber exists in that location (cos sometimes they
are met with - there is no Uber here)

tim

tim... September 22nd 16 03:16 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Robin9" wrote in message

[...]

The simple solution to that is not to insist on such a ridiculously high
spec car (as I have read that they do)

it is cheap and cheerful taxi service FFS, not a limousine service

What's wrong with a 5 year old Mondeo?

tim

tim... September 22nd 16 03:21 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

wrote:

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 03:10:42PM +0100, tim... wrote:

spending billions on trying to win a market of millions is just silly

Becoming the default choice for taxi services throughout the developed
world (which is what they seem to be going for) is not worth mere
millions.

What they're doing is very similar to what Amazon did early on. They
consistently lost money for the first few years, and only occasionally
made a profit since. It's only very recently that they started to make
vaguely reliable looking profits. Amazon spent those profitless years
buying the market.

Exactly. People who only look at the deliberate short-term losses are
ignoring the bigger picture.

It's possible for Amazon to kill the competition and for it not to come back
again, leaving you in an unassailable position to reap the rewards of
previous work

Once Uber has established in a city, competition can continually spring up
again meaning that you are continually fighting it. There is no path to
killing it off completely (other than making your price so low you don't
make a profit). There are always new drivers prepared to compete with you.

tim

Recliner[_3_] September 22nd 16 03:39 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Robin9" wrote in message

[...]

Uber started up as a limo service. The later UberX introduced cheaper cars,
but the idea is still that they're clean and new.

Recliner[_3_] September 22nd 16 03:39 PM

Is Uber Bleeding to Death?

wrote:

[...]

It's an international business, which benefits from network effects. Also,
the long-term game plan is to have self-driving cars, which need things
like highly detailed maps that new competitors won't have:
https://newsroom.uber.com/uk/mapping-ubers-future/