Old September 28th 16, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another one bites the dust

On 2016-09-28 10:36:58 +0000, tim... said:

Having been to Luton 3 times [1] in the past 3 months, I can't agree
that it is obviously marketed there either

What, so the clearly branded ticket machines dotted around the
terminal, plus the obvious PRIORITY LANE sign over part of the security
entrance, aren't enough?

The problem at STN is that there is more than one entrance to security,
so you don't naturally pass it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 28th 16, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-28 10:36:58 +0000, tim... said:

Having been to Luton 3 times [1] in the past 3 months, I can't agree that
it is obviously marketed there either

What, so the clearly branded ticket machines dotted around the terminal,

nope, didn't see them. And if you haven't pre-advertised that they are
there, why would I?

plus the obvious PRIORITY LANE sign over part of the security entrance,
aren't enough?

the presence of a priority lane does not, of itself, suggest that access is
via a charge.

at most airports it is via class of travel or FF status. That this may not
apply at Luton is not obvious to a one time user of that airport

tim

Old September 28th 16, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-28 08:07:41 +0000, Mizter T said:

Er, as there is at Stansted. (£5)

http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-the-airport/security/security-fasttrack/

When did they introduce that? It certainly isn't as obviously marketed
as at Luton.

Paid Fast Track at STN seems to have been introduced in 2011:

http://www.flypark.co.uk/blog/2011/09/08/495/
http://www.btnews.co.uk/article/3920

FWIW, it features prominently on the Stansted airport front page:
http://www.stanstedairport.com/

With Ryanair, they offer the opportunity to buy Fast Track security
access when buying the flight (on a standard fare). With easyJet, this
is not offered, it only comes bundled with the Flexi fare.

What is not made clear on the Stansted website is the fact you can buy
Fast Track access there and then without 'pre-booking' it, presumably
because they'd rather people didn't turn up at the airport and make an
assessment as to whether or not it'd be worthwhile before shelling out.

The new regular security area is larger and has more lanes than the old
one did, though I'm aware I likely got lucky when I passed through so
very quickly. One very obvious point, which applies everywhere not just
at STN, is to make sure one keeps one's eyes open and don't just follow
the crowd, as inevitably many people bunch up at the nearest security
lanes and don't move along to the less busy ones.
Old September 28th 16, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-28 13:56:19 +0000, Mizter T said:

The new regular security area is larger and has more lanes than the old
one did, though I'm aware I likely got lucky when I passed through so
very quickly. One very obvious point, which applies everywhere not just
at STN, is to make sure one keeps one's eyes open and don't just follow
the crowd, as inevitably many people bunch up at the nearest security
lanes and don't move along to the less busy ones.

Certainly. Indeed, LHR T2 and T5 encourage this with big electronic
signs showing the best one to go to. It also worked at Schiphol
passport control, though I haven't been there since the layout was
changed to perimeter rather than gate security.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 28th 16, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:28:34 on Wed, 28 Sep 2016,
tim... remarked:

What, so the clearly branded ticket machines dotted around the terminal,

nope, didn't see them. And if you haven't pre-advertised that they are
there, why would I?

Just normal observational skills. But perhaps you don't see(sic) why
those skills are perhaps something you lack.

Old September 28th 16, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-28 13:56:19 +0000, Mizter T said:

The new regular security area is larger and has more lanes than the old
one did, though I'm aware I likely got lucky when I passed through so
very quickly. One very obvious point, which applies everywhere not just
at STN, is to make sure one keeps one's eyes open and don't just follow
the crowd, as inevitably many people bunch up at the nearest security
lanes and don't move along to the less busy ones.

Certainly. Indeed, LHR T2 and T5 encourage this with big electronic
signs showing the best one to go to. It also worked at Schiphol
passport control, though I haven't been there since the layout was
changed to perimeter rather than gate security.

I was there a couple of months ago, the security at the non-Schengen
terminal/bit (I forget the name - at the end near the railway platforms
rather than the 'main' terminal I'm more familiar with) was as big a farce
as Stansted could organise & nearly had me missing my flight. This
surprised me as Schipol used to be a decent airport - so I'd say maybe the
changes (I didn't know they were making them) are not going so well.

Munich remains far and away the best European airport to my mind.
(Although even there if you arrive at one terminal and are bussed to the
other one the transit security can be a bloody mess, but that's only
happened once in about 25 flights this year so I forgive them.)

Old September 28th 16, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-28 16:23:51 +0000, Clank said:

I was there a couple of months ago, the security at the non-Schengen
terminal/bit (I forget the name - at the end near the railway platforms
rather than the 'main' terminal I'm more familiar with) was as big a farce
as Stansted could organise & nearly had me missing my flight. This
surprised me as Schipol used to be a decent airport - so I'd say maybe the
changes (I didn't know they were making them) are not going so well.

The H gates? Those were never good.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 29th 16, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-28 08:07:41 +0000, Mizter T said:

Er, as there is at Stansted. (£5)

http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-the-airport/security/security-fasttrack/

When did they introduce that? It certainly isn't as obviously marketed
as at Luton.

Paid Fast Track at STN seems to have been introduced in 2011:

http://www.flypark.co.uk/blog/2011/09/08/495/
http://www.btnews.co.uk/article/3920

FWIW, it features prominently on the Stansted airport front page:
http://www.stanstedairport.com/

That's hardly a useful marketing tool IMHO.

Just how many people visit the website of the airport that they are flying
from?

1% 2%, less!

tim

Old September 29th 16, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:28:34 on Wed, 28 Sep 2016,
tim... remarked:

What, so the clearly branded ticket machines dotted around the terminal,

nope, didn't see them. And if you haven't pre-advertised that they are
there, why would I?

Just normal observational skills.

Why would I (anyone) walk into an airport lounge looking for something that
they didn't know existed?

As someone who had checked in online with only carry on, I would look for
the signs to "departures" and follow them. Why would I notice anything
else?

But perhaps you don't see(sic) why those skills are perhaps something you
lack.

I don't see the need to walk around random places with the observation of a
police detective, on the off chance that I should witness a crime perhaps,
and I am amazed that you do. What's the point? If there's a fire alarm
I'll look for signs to the escape route then, that why they are lit up!

In any case there have been hundreds of academic exercises to see what
people do take in from random locations and the results show that what they
register is uniformly poor. As you seem to think differently perhaps you
should offer the industry the benefit of your obviously superior intellect
so that they can get it right next time.

Saying that evidence that a particular marketing method doesn't work is the
fault of the consumer's intelligence is shooting the messenger and can only
ever fail as a scientific technique.

tim

Old September 29th 16, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:43:50 on Thu, 29 Sep
2016, tim... remarked:

What, so the clearly branded ticket machines dotted around the terminal,

nope, didn't see them. And if you haven't pre-advertised that they
are there, why would I?

Just normal observational skills.

Why would I (anyone) walk into an airport lounge looking for something
that they didn't know existed?

As someone who had checked in online with only carry on, I would look
for the signs to "departures" and follow them. Why would I notice
anything else?

You might see signage indicating that departures had a fast track lane.

But perhaps you don't see(sic) why those skills are perhaps something
you lack.

I don't see the need to walk around random places with the observation
of a police detective, on the off chance that I should witness a crime
perhaps, and I am amazed that you do. What's the point?

There isn't an inherent "point", it just happens naturally.

If there's a fire alarm I'll look for signs to the escape route then,
that why they are lit up!

In any case there have been hundreds of academic exercises to see what
people do take in from random locations and the results show that what
they register is uniformly poor. As you seem to think differently
perhaps you should offer the industry the benefit of your obviously
superior intellect so that they can get it right next time.

I've always thought that the airport industry is one I could have had a
career in. After all, it's very operations-based and a lot of queuing
theory goes into their design (it's not the architects' fault that they
later end up under-manned).

Balham: Buried by Time & Dust Offramp London Transport 2 June 5th 14 03:59 PM
Asbestos Dust from Brake Linings CJB London Transport 1 September 17th 09 07:18 AM
Dust? alex_t London Transport 19 December 7th 06 11:40 AM
And another one?? Peter Lawrence London Transport 5 July 21st 05 10:15 PM
Oyster Question (yes, another one!) Ian Jelf London Transport 8 February 27th 05 01:07 PM