London Banter

-   -   Heathrow Hub looking like the winner (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15126-heathrow-hub-looking-like-winner.html)

Recliner[_3_] September 25th 16 11:16 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

There's a short item in today's Sunday Times that suggests that the
government is favouring the Heathrow Hub option:
http://www.heathrowhub.com

This is cheaper than the third runway, needs much less land (and very few
properties will be affected), will be much quicker to build, and will not
increase the noise footprint nearly as much. The scheme as proposed (not by
HAL) also includes a road-rail interchange on the M4 and GWML (and possibly
an HS2 spur), immediately to the north of the airport, with a direct light
rail link to the terminals. However, I think that's really a separate idea.

Crucially, BA is backing this scheme, rather than the third runway:
http://news.sky.com/story/ba-owner-s...cheme-10319759

Mizter T September 25th 16 02:47 PM

On 25/09/2016 12:16, Recliner wrote:
There's a short item in today's Sunday Times that suggests that the
government is favouring the Heathrow Hub option:
http://www.heathrowhub.com

This is cheaper than the third runway, needs much less land (and very few
properties will be affected), will be much quicker to build, and will not
increase the noise footprint nearly as much. The scheme as proposed (not by
HAL) also includes a road-rail interchange on the M4 and GWML (and possibly
an HS2 spur), immediately to the north of the airport, with a direct light
rail link to the terminals. However, I think that's really a separate idea.

Crucially, BA is backing this scheme, rather than the third runway:
http://news.sky.com/story/ba-owner-s...cheme-10319759

Interesting. Especially given that the Heathrow Hub proposal was
rejected by the Airports Commission.

If Heathrow is the government's choice then it's still going to face
some almighty opposition, though perhaps given the whole Heathrow
question has been going on for so long - a 'war of attrition' if you
will - maybe some of that opposition could fall by the wayside.

Poyle would be razed under the scheme - much of the area is a trading
estate, though there are some residential streets south of Bath Rd that
would have to go. (As would the current T5 Pod Parking!)

Recliner[_3_] September 25th 16 03:10 PM

Mizter T wrote:

On 25/09/2016 12:16, Recliner wrote:
There's a short item in today's Sunday Times that suggests that the
government is favouring the Heathrow Hub option:
http://www.heathrowhub.com

This is cheaper than the third runway, needs much less land (and very few
properties will be affected), will be much quicker to build, and will not
increase the noise footprint nearly as much. The scheme as proposed (not by
HAL) also includes a road-rail interchange on the M4 and GWML (and possibly
an HS2 spur), immediately to the north of the airport, with a direct light
rail link to the terminals. However, I think that's really a separate idea.

Crucially, BA is backing this scheme, rather than the third runway:
http://news.sky.com/story/ba-owner-s...cheme-10319759

Interesting. Especially given that the Heathrow Hub proposal was
rejected by the Airports Commission.

It wasn't rejected. It was one of the three preferred options, ahead of
Gatwick. It doesn't add as much capacity as a completely new runway, but is
cheaper, quicker, easier, less disruptive.

If Heathrow is the government's choice then it's still going to face
some almighty opposition, though perhaps given the whole Heathrow
question has been going on for so long - a 'war of attrition' if you
will - maybe some of that opposition could fall by the wayside.

I think Heathrow has been the government's choice for ages. They just
couldn't find a good time to announce it. Had Gatwick been the preferred
choice, it would have been announced before the 2015 election.

Poyle would be razed under the scheme - much of the area is a trading
estate, though there are some residential streets south of Bath Rd that
would have to go. (As would the current T5 Pod Parking!)

The latter would be affected by either of the runway options.

Mizter T September 25th 16 03:25 PM

On 25/09/2016 16:10, Recliner wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

Mea culpa... I was going to check, but decided to let my faulty memory
serve me instead. I shall go and have another look at the Commission's
report.

If Heathrow is the government's choice then it's still going to face
some almighty opposition, though perhaps given the whole Heathrow
question has been going on for so long - a 'war of attrition' if you
will - maybe some of that opposition could fall by the wayside.

I think Heathrow has been the government's choice for ages. They just
couldn't find a good time to announce it. Had Gatwick been the preferred
choice, it would have been announced before the 2015 election.

George Osborne's choice, yes. But there's not been a government decision
per se on it.

There have been all sorts of rumours and whispers about the issue
though, with some seemingly credible ones also pointing to the choice
being Gatwick, with the subtext that Heathrow was just too difficult.

Poyle would be razed under the scheme - much of the area is a trading
estate, though there are some residential streets south of Bath Rd that
would have to go. (As would the current T5 Pod Parking!)

The latter would be affected by either of the runway options.

OK, though I wasn't seeking to make a serious point from that!

I was just thinking about the immediate localities that will be
affected. I'm not sure to what degree Colnbrook and Poyle have been hit
by planning blight re the possibility of a Heathrow extension - it has
certainly badly affected Sipson and Harmondsworth.

On a broader view, siting London's main airport at Heathrow was
something of a folly.

Recliner[_3_] September 25th 16 03:56 PM

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

From
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/440316/airports-commission-final-report.pdf

We have concluded that the best answer is to expand Heathrow’s runway
capacity.
A brand new airport in the Thames Estuary, while appealing in theory, is
unfeasibly expensive, highly problematic in environmental terms and would
be hugely disruptive for many businesses and communities. Gatwick, by
contrast, has presented a plausible case for expansion. It is well placed
to cater for growth in intra-European leisure flying, but is unlikely to
provide as much of the type of capacity which is most urgently required:
long-haul destinations in new markets. Heathrow can provide that capacity
most easily and quickly. The benefits are signifcantly greater, for
business passengers, freight operators and the broader economy. All
passengers will benefit from enhanced competition.
Our choice at Heathrow is in favour of the Northwest Runway proposal by
the airport operator. The so-called Heathrow Hub is an imaginative idea,
which has usefully opened up thinking about the way the airport operates,
but for the reasons we explain is less attractive from a noise perspective.
The Northwest Runway scheme is technically feasible and does not involve
massive, untested infrastructure. The costs are high, but financeable by
the private sector, in our judgement and that of investors.

13.2 Each of the three schemes shortlisted for detailed consideration was
considered a credible option for expansion, capable of delivering valuable
enhancements to the UK’s aviation capacity and connectivity. They would
each also have negative environmental effects, which would need to be
carefully managed, though in all three cases the schemes’ developers have
sought to limit those where possible through careful design.
13.3 Nonetheless, the Commission has unanimously concluded that the
proposal for a new Northwest Runway at Heathrow Airport, in combination
with the signi cant package of measures to address its environmental and
community impacts described below, presents the strongest case. It delivers
more substantial economic and strategic bene ts than any other shortlisted
option, strengthening connectivity for passengers and freight users and
boosting the productivity of the UK economy, and strikes a fair balance
between national and local priorities. The Commission’s terms of reference
required it to make recommendations designed to maintain the UK’s position
as a global hub for aviation: Heathrow expansion is the most likely route
to achieving that.

If Heathrow is the government's choice then it's still going to face
some almighty opposition, though perhaps given the whole Heathrow
question has been going on for so long - a 'war of attrition' if you
will - maybe some of that opposition could fall by the wayside.

I think Heathrow has been the government's choice for ages. They just
couldn't find a good time to announce it. Had Gatwick been the preferred
choice, it would have been announced before the 2015 election.

George Osborne's choice, yes. But there's not been a government decision
per se on it.

Agreed, but I think most ministers and MPs (with some well-known
exceptions) favour Heathrow.

There have been all sorts of rumours and whispers about the issue
though, with some seemingly credible ones also pointing to the choice
being Gatwick, with the subtext that Heathrow was just too difficult.

Poyle would be razed under the scheme - much of the area is a trading
estate, though there are some residential streets south of Bath Rd that
would have to go. (As would the current T5 Pod Parking!)

The latter would be affected by either of the runway options.

OK, though I wasn't seeking to make a serious point from that!

I was just thinking about the immediate localities that will be
affected. I'm not sure to what degree Colnbrook and Poyle have been hit
by planning blight re the possibility of a Heathrow extension - it has
certainly badly affected Sipson and Harmondsworth.

Which would actually survive under this proposal. HAL would be the owner of
some newly valuable properties!

On a broader view, siting London's main airport at Heathrow was
something of a folly.

Probably, but I'm not sure there was a good place to site a major
four-runway airport anywhere convenient for London. London didn't have the
Denver option.

Robin[_4_] September 25th 16 04:46 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On 25/09/2016 16:56, Recliner wrote:

The Commission's report did also include under Safety considerations:

"12.24 The CAA did note the lack of precedent for the Heathrow Extended
Northern Runway concept and indicated that it would need more detailed
development. It was emphasised, however, that the CAA remained
open-minded on the concept and open to further engagement."

And even Heathrow Hub's own press release on their safety study had:

"Hazards arising during normal operations and emergency situations,
including go-arounds and overruns, were examined using a combination of
quantitative and qualitative techniques. The initial assessment
concluded that the proposed Heathrow Hub concept has the potential to be
safe, but that further analysis and evidence would be required to prove
this in detail."

I'm not qualified to judge the risks of "tandem" runways. But I do know
one economist said it'd be really, really hard to assess the cost if a
go-around or overrun allowed Heathrow to beat Tenerife's record of 583 :(

--
Robin

Roland Perry September 25th 16 04:54 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

In message , at 16:25:37 on Sun, 25 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:

On a broader view, siting London's main airport at Heathrow was
something of a folly.

iirc it was farmland which was commandeered as a wartime airstrip.

meme
They only built Windsor castle at the end of the runway later.
/meme

From the kerfuffle about where to put the third London Airport, if
people had objected to Heathrow's expansion, we'd perhaps be stuck with
one of the world's busiest International airports in the middle of
Croydon.

Mizter T September 25th 16 05:37 PM

On 25/09/2016 17:54, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:25:37 on Sun, 25 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:

On a broader view, siting London's main airport at Heathrow was
something of a folly.

iirc it was farmland which was commandeered as a wartime airstrip.

Which was only a pretence conjured up by Harold Balfour and others in
order to establish a fact on the ground - i.e. a big aerodrome - using
wartime requisition powers.

meme
They only built Windsor castle at the end of the runway later.
/meme

From the kerfuffle about where to put the third London Airport, if

tim... September 25th 16 06:30 PM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:25:37 on Sun, 25 Sep 2016,
Mizter T remarked:

On a broader view, siting London's main airport at Heathrow was something
of a folly.

iirc it was farmland which was commandeered as a wartime airstrip.

meme
They only built Windsor castle at the end of the runway later.
/meme

From the kerfuffle about where to put the third London Airport, if people
had objected to Heathrow's expansion, we'd perhaps be stuck with one of
the world's busiest International airports in the middle of Croydon.

The issue with LHR being London's main airport in the wrong place is "should
it have been moved before T4 was given permission"

IMHO the answer to that is "Absolutely"

tim

Clive D.W. Feather September 26th 16 05:51 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

The so-called Heathrow Hub is an imaginative idea,
which has usefully opened up thinking about the way the airport operates,
but for the reasons we explain is less attractive from a noise perspective.
The Northwest Runway scheme is technically feasible and does not involve
massive, untested infrastructure.

"massive untested infrastructure"?

[I'm intrigued by the phrase but don't have time to read the report.]

Recliner[_3_] September 26th 16 07:50 AM

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
The so-called Heathrow Hub is an imaginative idea,
which has usefully opened up thinking about the way the airport operates,
but for the reasons we explain is less attractive from a noise perspective.
The Northwest Runway scheme is technically feasible and does not involve
massive, untested infrastructure.

"massive untested infrastructure"?

[I'm intrigued by the phrase but don't have time to read the report.]

It just means that the novel extended double runway idea would be a world's
first, and so all the safety analyses would have to be carried out from
scratch. New operating procedures would probably also be needed.

The much more expensive and disruptive northwest third runway scheme is
entirely conventional, which is the main reason the commission favoured it.

Roland Perry September 26th 16 08:09 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

In message , at 18:37:03 on Sun, 25 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:

iirc it was farmland which was commandeered as a wartime airstrip.

Which was only a pretence conjured up by Harold Balfour and others in
order to establish a fact on the ground - i.e. a big aerodrome - using
wartime requisition powers.

Even if that was true (I hope you have some citations for that) the
point is that it was *farmland* and thus outside the urban area of
London at that time.

Roland Perry September 26th 16 08:14 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

In message , at 19:30:49 on Sun, 25 Sep
2016, tim... remarked:

The issue with LHR being London's main airport in the wrong place is
"should it have been moved before T4 was given permission"

IMHO the answer to that is "Absolutely"

Where would you have put it? Bear in mind that Maplin Sands, and several
other sites had been rules out already, so you might have only Stansted
on offer. And that already had an active set of pressure groups opposed
to even any extension of its status as the third airport.

tim... September 26th 16 09:34 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:30:49 on Sun, 25 Sep 2016,
tim... remarked:

The issue with LHR being London's main airport in the wrong place is
"should it have been moved before T4 was given permission"

IMHO the answer to that is "Absolutely"

Where would you have put it?

You just have to find somewhere

I'm sure that there are (were) lots of viable options

Bear in mind that Maplin Sands, and several other sites had been rules out
already, so you might have only Stansted on offer. And that already had an
active set of pressure groups opposed to even any extension of its status
as the third airport.

Of course there are going to be pressure groups. But that's what politics
has to cope with that makes it hard

you have to overrule the pressure groups to do what's best for the country.

It's what happened in all other places that have moved their major airport

This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by now
and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it is now

tim

Recliner[_3_] September 26th 16 09:44 AM

tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:30:49 on Sun, 25 Sep 2016,
tim... remarked:

The issue with LHR being London's main airport in the wrong place is
"should it have been moved before T4 was given permission"

IMHO the answer to that is "Absolutely"

Where would you have put it?

You just have to find somewhere

I'm sure that there are (were) lots of viable options

I don't think there were, even back then. That's why we've had multiple
airport enquiries and commissions, but haven't come even close to choosing
a new airport site.

Bear in mind that Maplin Sands, and several other sites had been rules out
already, so you might have only Stansted on offer. And that already had an
active set of pressure groups opposed to even any extension of its status
as the third airport.

Of course there are going to be pressure groups. But that's what politics
has to cope with that makes it hard

you have to overrule the pressure groups to do what's best for the country.

So you might just as well expand Heathrow. It will cause far less trouble
than attempting to build a major new 4-runway airport anywhere in the
southeast.

It's what happened in all other places that have moved their major airport

This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by now
and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it is now

London isn't short of airport capacity. It's just short of capacity at
Heathrow. Stansted and Luton have plenty of spare capacity, Gatwick has a
little, and Southend could handle many more London flights.

Roland Perry September 26th 16 09:52 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

In message , at 19:36:29 on
Sun, 25 Sep 2016, remarked:
On a broader view, siting London's main airport at Heathrow was
something of a folly.

iirc it was farmland which was commandeered as a wartime airstrip.

There is a 95 year old woman in our village who still goes on about it
at the weekly Coffee morning that is run by volunteers where such folk
can get out and have a chat.
Her father and family relocated to Hampshire but never got a business
established enough to provide for them all after that, so she married
young and has lived in Council accommodation ever since while her
brothers inherited the farm he did establish, at least a council
bungalow in a village like this is a world away from a sink estate in
a city.

Look on the bright side - they didn't die in the blitz or a POW camp (or
as a result of the wartime influences which caused the Norton Fitzwarren
rail crash).

Roland Perry September 26th 16 09:57 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

In message , at 10:34:25 on Mon, 26 Sep
2016, tim... remarked:
The issue with LHR being London's main airport in the wrong place is
"should it have been moved before T4 was given permission"

IMHO the answer to that is "Absolutely"

Where would you have put it?

You just have to find somewhere

I'm sure that there are (were) lots of viable options

That's what the Roskill Commission had a rather hard time with. They
suggested Cublington.

Bear in mind that Maplin Sands, and several other sites had been rules
out already, so you might have only Stansted on offer. And that
already had an active set of pressure groups opposed to even any
extension of its status as the third airport.

Of course there are going to be pressure groups. But that's what
politics has to cope with that makes it hard

you have to overrule the pressure groups to do what's best for the country.

It's what happened in all other places that have moved their major airport

Almost always to reclaimed land off the coast, or virtually uninhabited
tracts of farmland. Boris wanted to pursue the former (to much derision
from onlookers) and there isn't any of the latter in the Southeast.

This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by
now and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it
is now

SSE is sill going strong, as are the campaigns against a second runway
at Gtwick and a third at Heathrow.

[email protected] September 26th 16 10:23 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 10:57:55 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:34:25 on Mon, 26 Sep
This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by
now and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it
is now

SSE is sill going strong, as are the campaigns against a second runway
at Gtwick and a third at Heathrow.

The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice. Instant gratification is something children expect, not adults.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] September 26th 16 11:39 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:34:25 on Mon, 26 Sep
This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by
now and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it
is now

SSE is sill going strong, as are the campaigns against a second runway
at Gtwick and a third at Heathrow.

The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice. Instant gratification is something children expect, not adults.

The vapour trails you see are from high flying aircraft, nothing to do
with London airports. Many of the air routes from Europe to North
America are visible from London.

Roland Perry September 26th 16 12:27 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

In message , at 10:23:19 on Mon, 26 Sep
2016, d remarked:
This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by
now and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it
is now

SSE is sill going strong, as are the campaigns against a second runway
at Gtwick and a third at Heathrow.

The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice.

You need just as much capacity for people booking flights months in
advance.

[email protected] September 26th 16 01:35 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:34:25 on Mon, 26 Sep
This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by
now and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it
is now

SSE is sill going strong, as are the campaigns against a second runway
at Gtwick and a third at Heathrow.

The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice. Instant gratification is something children expect, not

adults.

The vapour trails you see are from high flying aircraft, nothing to do
with London airports. Many of the air routes from Europe to North
America are visible from London.

I know, but its all still controlled by NATS. From watching the Skies Over
Britain programme on the BBC recently its obvious they're already close to
their limit. I can't so how even more aircraft will help. And thats before
we get onto people - like me - who live under airport flightpaths who are
sick of the constant drone of airliners overhead. Though the low flying
choppers are even worse but they're much less frequent.

--
Spud

[email protected] September 26th 16 01:41 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:27:27 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:23:19 on Mon, 26 Sep
2016, d remarked:
This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by
now and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it
is now

SSE is sill going strong, as are the campaigns against a second runway
at Gtwick and a third at Heathrow.

The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice.

You need just as much capacity for people booking flights months in
advance.

Not necessarily. People who can't find a last minute flight to go on a w/e
break probably won't rebook for a few months ahead, they'll either not bother
or just go somewhere else using another method of transport. Anyway, the fact
that budget airline fares are still so low indicates there isn't a capacity
issue for the airlines at the moment. Supply & demand etc etc...

--
Spud

Neil Williams September 26th 16 01:44 PM

On 2016-09-26 13:35:29 +0000, d said:

I know, but its all still controlled by NATS. From watching the Skies Over
Britain programme on the BBC recently its obvious they're already close to
their limit. I can't so how even more aircraft will help. And thats before
we get onto people - like me - who live under airport flightpaths who are
sick of the constant drone of airliners overhead.

Did you move there before the airport opened?

If not, that wasn't a very good selection of property, was it?

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] September 26th 16 02:29 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 14:44:35 +0100
On 2016-09-26 13:35:29 +0000, d said:

I know, but its all still controlled by NATS. From watching the Skies Over
Britain programme on the BBC recently its obvious they're already close to
their limit. I can't so how even more aircraft will help. And thats before
we get onto people - like me - who live under airport flightpaths who are
sick of the constant drone of airliners overhead.

Did you move there before the airport opened?

If not, that wasn't a very good selection of property, was it?

ITYF most of London is affected by the noise from aircraft in a stack or
on takeoff/approach to heathrow. They pass over my house at 4-5000 ft and
they're still bloody annoying. In august it was almost one every minute.

--
Spud

Roland Perry September 26th 16 02:32 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

In message , at 13:41:37 on Mon, 26 Sep
2016, d remarked:

The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice.

You need just as much capacity for people booking flights months in
advance.

Not necessarily. People who can't find a last minute flight to go on a w/e
break probably won't rebook for a few months ahead, they'll either not bother
or just go somewhere else using another method of transport.

I don't know anyone who flies for leisure at the last minute, especially
on low-cost airlines - because those fares are the very highest.

Roland Perry September 26th 16 02:36 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

In message , at 14:29:18 on Mon, 26 Sep
2016, d remarked:
I know, but its all still controlled by NATS. From watching the Skies Over
Britain programme on the BBC recently its obvious they're already close to
their limit. I can't so how even more aircraft will help. And thats before
we get onto people - like me - who live under airport flightpaths who are
sick of the constant drone of airliners overhead.

Did you move there before the airport opened?

If not, that wasn't a very good selection of property, was it?

ITYF most of London is affected by the noise from aircraft in a stack or
on takeoff/approach to heathrow.

Thus you are not affected by the ones at 30,000ft. Next contestant
please!

[email protected] September 26th 16 03:22 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:36:27 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:29:18 on Mon, 26 Sep
2016, d remarked:
I know, but its all still controlled by NATS. From watching the Skies Over
Britain programme on the BBC recently its obvious they're already close to
their limit. I can't so how even more aircraft will help. And thats before
we get onto people - like me - who live under airport flightpaths who are
sick of the constant drone of airliners overhead.

Did you move there before the airport opened?

If not, that wasn't a very good selection of property, was it?

ITYF most of London is affected by the noise from aircraft in a stack or
on takeoff/approach to heathrow.

Thus you are not affected by the ones at 30,000ft. Next contestant
please!

I didn't say I was directly affected, though seeing a natural blue sky over my
house just occasionally would be nice. But the point was about more airport
capacity in the SE which means more takeoffs and landings.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] September 26th 16 03:31 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I suspect Brexit will be given as one of the reasons for expanding
Heathrow, on the basis that we need more longhaul trading links to
partially replace some potentially lost EU trade. Heathrow is seen as the
preferred choice for wide-body, longhaul flights, Gatwick for shorthaul
narrow-body flights.

[email protected] September 26th 16 04:02 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:31:30 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I didn't say I was directly affected, though seeing a natural blue sky over

my
house just occasionally would be nice. But the point was about more airport
capacity in the SE which means more takeoffs and landings.

I suspect Brexit will be given as one of the reasons for expanding
Heathrow, on the basis that we need more longhaul trading links to
partially replace some potentially lost EU trade. Heathrow is seen as the
preferred choice for wide-body, longhaul flights, Gatwick for shorthaul
narrow-body flights.

The ulimate problem is the SE is too crowded so lots of people will be
affected by the extra noise and finding any land for expansion anywhere is
going to be viciously opposed. Quite understandably IMO. We've already got
6 large runways (8 if you include northolt and biggin hill) in and around
the London area. With *proper* transport links that should be more than
enough.

--
Spud

Clank September 26th 16 04:36 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:34:25 on Mon, 26 Sep
This would have been in 1980, all arguments would all be forgotten by
now and London's airport provision would be in a better place than it
is now

SSE is sill going strong, as are the campaigns against a second runway
at Gtwick and a third at Heathrow.

The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice. Instant gratification is something children expect, not adults.

If having the whole of Europe available to me at (less than) 24 hours
notice makes me a child - **** it, I'm loving my childhood. My mother (in
her 70s) bought a globe recently so she can stick a pin in all the places I
WhatsApp her from that she couldn't even conceive of visiting in her
lifetime. I have absolutely no guilt about this - my generation has the
opportunity to embrace the world and our lives are immeasurably improved
for it, and if it upsets a few nimbies who object to seeing a contrail, so
be it.

Alas, the next generation in Britain will have had many of those
opportunities taken away from them by Brexit. I'm glad I emigrated when I
did - ration cards and hiding from the rest of the world never seemed that
bucolic to me, but whatever floats your boat...

tim... September 26th 16 06:14 PM

[...]

One of the pax who shared the shuttle bus with me from PRG two months ago
shared the info that he had booked at some random hotel via Hotwire [1].

I surmised that he had booked at the last minute and asked what fare he had
paid and it wasn't that much different to the one that I had paid booked on
two months notice.

I note that I can book same for tomorrow for 33 quid returning a week later
for 41. (plus luggage etc etc)

tim

David C[_2_] September 26th 16 06:50 PM

On 2016-09-26 13:35:29 +0000, d said:

I know, but its all still controlled by NATS. From watching the Skies Over
Britain programme on the BBC recently its obvious they're already close to
their limit. I can't so how even more aircraft will help. And thats before
we get onto people - like me - who live under airport flightpaths who are
sick of the constant drone of airliners overhead.

Did you move there before the airport opened?

If not, that wasn't a very good selection of property, was it?

Neil

I live under one of the routes into London City, (in Thurrock) & I've
no idea what height the 'planes are flying, but they are quite
noticable.

(I've flown into LCY just once & it was easy to recognize my
home..........)

We bought the house in '85, probably before LCY was planned.

I feel for anyone living under a flight-path into a major airport.

DC

---

Neil Williams September 26th 16 08:30 PM

On 2016-09-26 18:50:17 +0000, David C said:

I feel for anyone living under a flight-path into a major airport.

I do, but if the airport was there when they bought it (not yourself),
they don't really get to complain - the price was probably cheaper as a
result. It's like people who move next to pubs and complain when they
are noisy.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Recliner[_3_] September 26th 16 09:14 PM

On 2016-09-26 18:50:17 +0000, David C said:

I feel for anyone living under a flight-path into a major airport.

I do, but if the airport was there when they bought it (not yourself),
they don't really get to complain - the price was probably cheaper as a
result. It's like people who move next to pubs and complain when they
are noisy.

And modern planes are likely much, much quieter than the planes than were
the norm when the property was bought.

[email protected] September 27th 16 08:27 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:30:07 +0100
On 2016-09-26 18:50:17 +0000, David C said:

I feel for anyone living under a flight-path into a major airport.

I do, but if the airport was there when they bought it (not yourself),
they don't really get to complain - the price was probably cheaper as a
result. It's like people who move next to pubs and complain when they
are noisy.

If someone moves next to a quiet village pub, then some years later its
license gets upgraded to a 1000 head nightclub they have every damn right
to complain about the noise.

--
Spud

[email protected] September 27th 16 08:35 AM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:36:01 +0300
Clank wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You sound like a cheap voiceover for a holiday company. How exactly is your
life "immeasurably improved" by being able to go anywhere with 24 hours
notice? Give us some details. Something concrete, not "Oh , I just love
watching the sunrises over blah blah blah".

Alas, the next generation in Britain will have had many of those
opportunities taken away from them by Brexit.

What opportunities? Britains visit and work in loads of countries around the
world that are not part of the EU. Why will the EU suddenly be off limits after
Brexit?

Also future generations will hardly thank us for ****ing up the climate. I'm
not speaking as some ranting hippy, I travel for pleasure too. But the idea
of moderation and waiting for something seems to have gone out the window.
People expect instant gratification and sod the costs, they're someone elses
problem. Right?

I'm glad I emigrated when I

I'm fairly glad you did with the ******** you spout.

did - ration cards and hiding from the rest of the world never seemed that
bucolic to me, but whatever floats your boat...

Oh dear, poor little confused ex-pat. Better go have some more sangria eh?

--
Spud

Neil Williams September 27th 16 10:12 AM

On 2016-09-27 08:27:19 +0000, d said:

If someone moves next to a quiet village pub, then some years later its
license gets upgraded to a 1000 head nightclub they have every damn right
to complain about the noise.

Indeed, but not, as is common, if one moves next door to a nightclub or
busy pub.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] September 27th 16 01:08 PM

Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 12:51:54 +0100
wrote:
Back to aviation there was an elderly couple in the Midlands on some
programme the other day , they had bought their house under the
flightpath to East Midlands knowing that it was a regional airport
but never anticipated it becoming to become a major freight Hub with
flights well into the early hours of the morning.

It always amazes me how aviation almost always seems to get a free pass when
it comes to noise pollution. Sure, they may move flight paths occasionally
to **** off another town or village but ultimately its still the same ****. If
a B road was then to a motorway or a branch line which was upgraded to a main
line with an express train once every minute, no one would be at all surprised
if locals complained. Yet if an airport suddenly decides it wants to almost
double the number of flights going in and out to create value for shareholders,
sorry , I mean "for the good of the nation", local residents are just supposed
to put a sock in it and get on with it. Talk about double standards.

Its about time aviation fuel was taxed so airlines had to start operating in
the real world. If some go bust tough ****. Free market and all that.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] September 29th 16 08:03 AM

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

More Heathrow rumours:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...e-in-parliame/

tim... September 29th 16 08:24 AM

"Recliner" wrote in message
Mizter T wrote:

[...]

That's hardly a surprise, it will be carried by labour votes

tim