London Banter

-   -   Taxi drivers protest outside TfL (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15147-taxi-drivers-protest-outside-tfl.html)

Neil Williams October 24th 16 01:41 PM

Taxi drivers protest outside TfL

On 2016-10-24 08:58:55 +0000, said:

The, as far as I can see, main reason for not using the meter is to make
costs of long journeys outside the city cheaper than they would be on the
meter and predictable at the outset. Imagine the meter rate for a trip from
Cambridge to Heathrow for example!

No, the main reason for not using the meter, in Milton Keynes, is to
defraud drunk passengers by overcharging them.

That's the same reason it is often not used in other countries, too.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] October 24th 16 05:49 PM

Taxi drivers protest outside TfL

In article ,

On 2016-10-24 08:58:55 +0000,
said:

The, as far as I can see, main reason for not using the meter is to
make costs of long journeys outside the city cheaper than they would be
on the meter and predictable at the outset. Imagine the meter rate for
a trip from Cambridge to Heathrow for example!

No, the main reason for not using the meter, in Milton Keynes, is to
defraud drunk passengers by overcharging them.

That's the same reason it is often not used in other countries, too.

For a hackney carriage within the Milton Keynes local authority boundary
that would be illegal.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams October 24th 16 10:46 PM

On 2016-10-24 17:49:36 +0000, said:

For a hackney carriage within the Milton Keynes local authority boundary
that would be illegal.

It certainly would, but enforcement is lax and so they continue to get
away with it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

tim... October 25th 16 09:15 AM

On 2016-10-24 08:58:55 +0000, said:

The, as far as I can see, main reason for not using the meter is to make
costs of long journeys outside the city cheaper than they would be on the
meter and predictable at the outset. Imagine the meter rate for a trip
from
Cambridge to Heathrow for example!

No, the main reason for not using the meter, in Milton Keynes, is to
defraud drunk passengers by overcharging them.

That's the same reason it is often not used in other countries, too.

where youy replace drunk by tourist

tim