London Banter

-   -   Successful platform gap filler trial at Heathrow (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15179-successful-platform-gap-filler-trial.html)

Recliner[_3_] November 21st 16 09:38 PM

Successful platform gap filler trial at Heathrow

From:
http://www.rssb.co.uk/industry-news/platform-gap-filler-trial-reduces-incidents-at-platform-train-interface

Quote:

Platform gap filler trial reduces incidents at platform/train interface

​A trial by Heathrow Express to use gap fillers has significantly reduced
the number of incidents at the platform/train interface (PTI). RSSB will
use the evidence from this trial to update standard GI/RT7106.

Heathrow Airport Limited and Heathrow Express trialled the use of gap
fillers along its platforms at Heathrow Airport, leading to a fall in the
number of incidents at the PTI from 15 to two per year. The fillers are
made from a rubbery material, which remains firm when passengers stand on
them, but flexible if it were to come into contact with rolling stock.

The gap at the PTI always poses a risk; but for passengers travelling
through Heathrow Airport, there are additional factors to consider. Many
are unfamiliar with the GB network and they generally have lots of heavy
luggage.

- End quote

The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6665/lightbox/

[email protected] November 21st 16 11:22 PM

On 21.11.16 22:38, Recliner wrote:
From:
[...]

Neat. When do they plan to install gap fillers at Bank, on the Central Line?

Didn't a few other stations on LUL have gap fillers? This was a long
time ago, however, I think even before World War II.

The only other place that I know of with gap fillers is on the New York
City Subway, specifically at three stations.

Is there anybody else in the world that uses them?

Clive Page[_3_] November 22nd 16 08:39 AM

On 21/11/2016 22:38, Recliner wrote:
The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6665/lightbox/

It is, thanks. It says that they will support a foot, but what if you
wheel a heavy suitcase across, do the wheels get supported or fall into
the gap? I'd have expected the force per unit area would be quite a lot
higher.

--
Clive Page

Sam Wilson November 22nd 16 09:50 AM

Successful platform gap filler trial at Heathrow

In article ,
Clive Page wrote:

On 21/11/2016 22:38, Recliner wrote:
The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...15766799634666
5/lightbox/

It is, thanks. It says that they will support a foot, but what if you
wheel a heavy suitcase across, do the wheels get supported or fall into
the gap? I'd have expected the force per unit area would be quite a lot
higher.

Spike heels would be higher pressure still. Looks like they would also
be susceptible to falling into the gaps between the "fingers".

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Recliner[_3_] November 22nd 16 02:49 PM

Clive Page wrote:
On 21/11/2016 22:38, Recliner wrote:
The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6665/lightbox/

It is, thanks. It says that they will support a foot, but what if you
wheel a heavy suitcase across, do the wheels get supported or fall into
the gap? I'd have expected the force per unit area would be quite a lot
higher.

I think the teeth are much deeper than they are wide, so they wouldn't bend
down. They'd bend sideways if enough weight was put on them, but I think a
wheely case should be fine. They'd also reduce the chance of something
(phone, camera, hand bag, water bottle) being accidentally dropped on to
the tracks through the gap

Recliner[_3_] November 22nd 16 02:49 PM

Successful platform gap filler trial at Heathrow

Sam Wilson wrote:
In article ,
Clive Page wrote:

On 21/11/2016 22:38, Recliner wrote:
The article includes a picture, but I think mine is clearer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...15766799634666
5/lightbox/

It is, thanks. It says that they will support a foot, but what if you
wheel a heavy suitcase across, do the wheels get supported or fall into
the gap? I'd have expected the force per unit area would be quite a lot
higher.

Spike heels would be higher pressure still. Looks like they would also
be susceptible to falling into the gaps between the "fingers".

Yes, someone silly enough to wear stilettos on an airport train would run
that risk. I'd guess the heel would get stuck between the teeth, pulling
the shoe off, but nothing and no-one would fall through the gap.

Clive D.W. Feather November 27th 16 10:17 PM

On 22/11/2016 00:22, wrote:
Didn't a few other stations on LUL have gap fillers? This was a long
time ago, however, I think even before World War II.

The only thing I can think of is the moving platform at Wood Green. But
that was a platform-extended, not a gap-filler.

Charles Ellson[_2_] November 27th 16 11:32 PM

Successful platform gap filler trial at Heathrow

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 23:17:39 +0000, "Clive D.W. Feather"
wrote:

On 22/11/2016 00:22, wrote:
Didn't a few other stations on LUL have gap fillers? This was a long
time ago, however, I think even before World War II.

The only thing I can think of is the moving platform at Wood Green. But
that was a platform-extended, not a gap-filler.

There was also a moveable platform in an earlier (1927) incarnation of
Wood Lane station on what was then the Central London Railway.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 28th 16 12:59 AM

On 2016\11\27 23:17, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
On 22/11/2016 00:22, wrote:
Didn't a few other stations on LUL have gap fillers? This was a
long time ago, however, I think even before World War II.

The only thing I can think of is the moving platform at Wood Green.
But that was a platform-extended, not a gap-filler.

That's the second time you've called Wood Lane Wood Green!