Old April 1st 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Green Party lunacy

"Alan O'Brien" wrote the
following in:

Cyclists do this really annoying thing:
You are listening out for cars as you cross the road - suddenly,
when the pushbike is right on top of you, you get this pathetic
little tinkle. I murmur to the cyclist, 'Sorry, didn't see you.'

Yeah, you wouldn't see him if you didn't look.

Why do cyclists look down on pedestrians as if we were pieces of
****?!

When cycling, I don't look down on pedestrians in general as if they're
pieces of ****. I look down on pedestrians who seem to think that a
bike doesn't really count so they

a) don't need to look out for them
b) can step out in front of them

I have similar feelings about this sort of thing

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
Routemaster routes 6 and 98 are going. Last day 26th March. Ride them

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
There are 20,000,000 women wearing kinky boots.

Old April 1st 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.transport.london.]
In article ,
Robin May wrote:
When cycling, I don't look down on pedestrians in general as if they're
pieces of ****. I look down on pedestrians who seem to think that a
bike doesn't really count so they

a) don't need to look out for them
b) can step out in front of them

And, of course, cyclists never sail through red lights, or over
zebra crossings. And this never brings them into conflict with
pedestrians.

yes, I realize that it's a generalization; some cyclists do those
things, and some pedestrians do the things you mention.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Old April 1st 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
When cycling, I don't look down on pedestrians in general as if
they're pieces of ****. I look down on pedestrians who seem to
think that a bike doesn't really count so they

a) don't need to look out for them
b) can step out in front of them

And, of course, cyclists never sail through red lights, or over
zebra crossings. And this never brings them into conflict with
pedestrians.

Like I said, when cycling I look down on pedestrians who do those
things. As a pedestrian, I look down on cyclists who do the things you
describe. I see no conflict between the two. In both cases it's people
doing things they shouldn't be doing that annoys me, and in both cases
I try to avoid doing such things.

yes, I realize that it's a generalization; some cyclists do those
things, and some pedestrians do the things you mention.

I only get annoyed with the pedestrians who do the things I mentioned
and I only get annoyed with the cyclists who do the things you
mentioned. There's no need for any generalisations so I don't see why
you made one.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
This sig was out of date.

Old April 1st 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
When cycling, I don't look down on pedestrians in general as if they're
pieces of ****. I look down on pedestrians who seem to think that a
bike doesn't really count so they

a) don't need to look out for them
b) can step out in front of them

And, of course, cyclists never sail through red lights, or over
zebra crossings. And this never brings them into conflict with
pedestrians.

yes, I realize that it's a generalization; some cyclists do those
things, and some pedestrians do the things you mention.

Yes there are irresponsible cyclists, just as there are irresponsible
drivers and irresponsible pedestrians...

Brian