Old December 6th 16, 09:20 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London
Default Oxford to Cambridge rail route.

We have some Cambridge residents here plus numerous
railway enthusiasts. As part of a speech about returning
responsibility for track maintenance and improvement to
train operators . . .
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/...cid=spartandhp

. . . a suggestion was made that the line between Bedford
and Cambridge might also be rebuilt. I've been told that part
of the right-of-way was lost decades ago when new buildings
were constructed across the trackbed.

Is this feasible? Does the Minister know something nobody
else knows?

Old December 6th 16, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://tinyurl.com/zmf6q3d

. . . a suggestion was made that the line between Bedford
and Cambridge might also be rebuilt. I've been told that part
of the right-of-way was lost decades ago when new buildings
were constructed across the trackbed.

Is this feasible? Does the Minister know something nobody
else knows?

It's often been discussed here and in the railway press -- have you missed
them all? Perhaps the minister just knows more than you do?

It clearly won't follow the old route, and there are various ideas for what
new alignment should be used.

Old December 6th 16, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message

We have some Cambridge residents here plus numerous
railway enthusiasts. As part of a speech about returning
responsibility for track maintenance and improvement to
train operators . . .
http://tinyurl.com/zmf6q3d

. . . a suggestion was made that the line between Bedford
and Cambridge might also be rebuilt. I've been told that part
of the right-of-way was lost decades ago when new buildings
were constructed across the trackbed.

Is this feasible? Does the Minister know something nobody
else knows?

It's government kit flying

This line has as much chance of being privately funded as the A14
improvements did.

tim

Old December 6th 16, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:20:23 on Tue, 6
Dec 2016, Robin9 remarked:
We have some Cambridge residents here plus numerous
railway enthusiasts. As part of a speech about returning
responsibility for track maintenance and improvement to
train operators . . .
http://tinyurl.com/zmf6q3d

. . . a suggestion was made that the line between Bedford
and Cambridge might also be rebuilt. I've been told that part
of the right-of-way was lost decades ago when new buildings
were constructed across the trackbed.

Is this feasible? Does the Minister know something nobody
else knows?

The current plan is to ignore the old Bedford-Cambridge route entirely.

In fact, the "rebuilt" line won't even reach Bedford, merely a "Parkway"
station some way to the south of the town.

From there it will supposedly blaze a new trail pretty much due east as
far as Shepreth (and avoiding all habitation especially Sandy) where
it'll join with the existing Hitchin-Cambridge line, for services onward
on the Eastern Section (ie Cambridge-Ely-Norwich, again existing
tracks).
Old December 7th 16, 12:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 11:20:23 on Tue,
6 Dec 2016, Robin9 remarked:
We have some Cambridge residents here plus numerous
railway enthusiasts. As part of a speech about returning
responsibility for track maintenance and improvement to
train operators . . .
http://tinyurl.com/zmf6q3d

. . . a suggestion was made that the line between Bedford
and Cambridge might also be rebuilt. I've been told that part
of the right-of-way was lost decades ago when new buildings
were constructed across the trackbed.

Is this feasible? Does the Minister know something nobody
else knows?

The current plan is to ignore the old Bedford-Cambridge route
entirely.

In fact, the "rebuilt" line won't even reach Bedford, merely a
"Parkway" station some way to the south of the town.

From there it will supposedly blaze a new trail pretty much due east
as far as Shepreth (and avoiding all habitation especially Sandy)
where it'll join with the existing Hitchin-Cambridge line, for
services onward on the Eastern Section (ie Cambridge-Ely-Norwich,
again existing tracks).

Sandy could yet have a station. It's in at least one of the options.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old December 7th 16, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:34:03 on Wed, 7 Dec 2016,
Basil Jet remarked:

Sandy could yet have a station. It's in at least one of the options.

Yes, it may, but like Bedford a 'Parkway' station outside the
built-up area.

The old station wasn't exactly in the town centre.

Station to Post Office in the centre of town: Half a mile, 9 minute
walk, according to Google Maps. (I stopped off at the station last year
because I was looking at cars in the garage on the A1).

The new station is proposed to be a third of the way to Biggleswade.

Since this is about halfway between Peterborough and Kings Cross, are
they planning to make this a major stop for Virgin trains? And will
Stevenage lose the few Virgin trains it has?

I don't remember whether this aspect was covered in the recent-ish
study. But remember that not all Virgin trains stop at Peterborough
either, plus they'll have soopah-doopah IEPs with brisker performance
(allegedly).

You can be sure, however, that no attempt will be made to co-ordinate
the timetables for optimum changes from one line to the other.