Old April 1st 04, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Green Party lunacy

Cyclists are

Wrong.
I suggest you purchase a Highway Code.

John B

Cyclists are

Wrong.
I suggest you purchase a Highway Code.

John B

You can be nicked for not rideing a Bike in a fit and proper manor......and

local bye laws come into it as well.......I,even as cyclist ,think we get
away with a lot.....we should have 3ed party..pay a one off road tax on new
bike's.......we pay nothing in and take quite a lot out...p46

Old April 1st 04, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

You can be nicked for not rideing a Bike in a fit and proper manor......and

local bye laws come into it as well.......I,even as cyclist ,think we get
away with a lot.....we should have 3ed party..pay a one off road tax on new
bike's.......we pay nothing in and take quite a lot out...p46

The thing is though, the government are trying to *encourage* cycle use
and discourage car use, and any such costs/inconveniences would just
drive cyclists back to their cars.
Also the amount of damage that cyclists do to the road surface and the
pollution they create is negligible compared to motor vehicles which is
what road tax supposedly pays for.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old April 1st 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Spyke" wrote in message

Also the amount of damage that cyclists do to
the road surface and the pollution they create
is negligible compared to motor vehicles which
is what road tax supposedly pays for.

A lot of infrastructure is built for them - it's generally fairly pointless
and inadequate, but it is there, and they aren't directly paying for it.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 1st 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote the
following in:

"Spyke" wrote in message

Also the amount of damage that cyclists do to
the road surface and the pollution they create
is negligible compared to motor vehicles which
is what road tax supposedly pays for.

A lot of infrastructure is built for them - it's generally fairly
pointless and inadequate, but it is there, and they aren't
directly paying for it.

I can think of two possible replies to this.

You say yourself that the infrastructure is fairly pointless and
inadequate. I'd rather not have to pay for cycle lanes that people park
in and other such facilities that are of no actual benefit to me.

It could also be argued that society would benefit if more people used
bikes instead of cars, so in a sense a person using a bike is already
"doing their bit" even if it doesn't involve any payment.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
This sig was out of date.

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
There are 20,000,000 women wearing kinky boots.