Old January 3rd 17, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default RIP Boris Bus

On 2017-01-03 16:11:43 +0000, Someone Somewhere said:

That, allied to their reputation as a "free bus"

I'm not clear why the Bozza bus, which has exactly the same operating
model, isn't also seen that way.

FWIW, the bendy could have been operated as "on at the front, off at
the back" the same as most London deckers. The method of revenue
protection has nothing to do with the type of bus.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old January 3rd 17, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-01-03 17:01:14 +0000, Recliner said:

Not happily. They had more fires and were soon taken off the road. They've
new been sent to somewhere hotter still: Sudan.

Luton Airport also seem to have a number of them, with Arriva
interiors, and modified to have doors on both sides.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old January 4th 17, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 17:01:14 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
And a lot of them ended up happily working in the heat in Malta. Ironic.

Not happily. They had more fires and were soon taken off the road. They've
new been sent to somewhere hotter still: Sudan.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...ses-to-be-ship
ed-to-sudan.507334http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20140218/local/bend
-buses-to-be-shipped-to-sudan.507334

"Experts concluded that the fires were caused by the conditions the buses were
subjected to on Malta’s roads, as well as an element of poor maintenance."

I'm guessing the cooling wasn't designed for a hot country and coupled with
cheapskate maintenance and presumably no fix being applied before they were
shipped from London...

Running them in Africa, what could possibly go wrong? Still, the local islamist
nutters may see an opportunity there with self immolating buses.

--
Spud

Old January 4th 17, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
And a lot of them ended up happily working in the heat in Malta. Ironic.

Not happily. They had more fires and were soon taken off the road. They've
new been sent to somewhere hotter still: Sudan.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...ses-to-be-ship
ed-to-sudan.507334http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20140218/local/bend
-buses-to-be-shipped-to-sudan.507334

"Experts concluded that the fires were caused by the conditions the buses were
subjected to on Malta’s roads, as well as an element of poor maintenance."

I'm guessing the cooling wasn't designed for a hot country and coupled with
cheapskate maintenance and presumably no fix being applied before they were
shipped from London...

Running them in Africa, what could possibly go wrong? Still, the local islamist
nutters may see an opportunity there with self immolating buses.

I also note the following concluding line:

In offering the buses for sale, Transport Malta had laid down that they
cannot be returned to Malta’s roads, because of the congestion they caused.

So it's not just London where bendy buses are unwelcome due to congestion...

Old January 4th 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:10:33 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
In offering the buses for sale, Transport Malta had laid down that they
cannot be returned to Malta’s roads, because of the congestion they caused.

So it's not just London where bendy buses are unwelcome due to congestion...

What causes more congestion, 2 double deckers or one bendy? I'm guessing you
don't visit Oxford street very often.

--
Spud

Old January 4th 17, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:40:22 +0000
On 2017-01-04 12:36:37 +0000, d said:

What causes more congestion, 2 double deckers or one bendy? I'm guessing you
don't visit Oxford street very often.

Oxford Street's transport arrangement is a joke. In a civilised
country it'd have a single tram route and no taxis.

Can't disagree with that.

--
Spud

Old January 4th 17, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 15:06:20 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 04/01/2017 12:36, d wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:10:33 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
In offering the buses for sale, Transport Malta had laid down that they
cannot be returned to Malta’s roads, because of the congestion they caused.

So it's not just London where bendy buses are unwelcome due to congestion...

What causes more congestion, 2 double deckers or one bendy? I'm guessing you
don't visit Oxford street very often.

Why would I? I'm a Londoner and we famously rarely visit the West End...

Speak for yourself. I often go there since its about the only place that has
any decent book and record shops left! Oxford street was a sea of mostly empty
buses doing 5mph as usual.

The sort of issue I was thinking of was around Brixton where there are
several pairings of lights that are about 1.5 bendies or 2 double
deckers apart - a single bendy is fine, but once two try to get through
either the arse end of one ends up blocking the lights/junction or
leaves a large gap in front which is rapidly filled by overtaking
marauding white vans and taxis preventing it making the progress it
could do and leading to congestion behind. From memory there were
similar issues in the Aldgate area.

Yes, HGVs can cause the same issue, but there are a lot more buses
around on certain roads than there are HGVs.

Well, its horses for course. You don't use double deckers on routes with low
bridges and bendies shouldn't have been used in areas they blocked junctions.
Anyway, its all academic now, I doubt they'll be back anytime soon sadly.

--
Spud