Old January 11th 17, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default RIP Boris Bus

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:55:46 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
Political ideal - and I didn't believe that they would be prepared to spend
the effort to give me the information if I asked them (I actually had this
conversation with one of the canvassers in the town centre, and he agreed
with me - that they wouldn't find it worth their while to translate all
their literate into English for the small number of voters in the
constituency)

If you're living in a foreign country you should learn the language and not
expect the locals to translate their literature into your language because
you're too lazy to learn theirs. Something councils in this country should
consider instead of wasting council tax translating documents into whatever
3rd world languages the local immigrants speak.

--
Spud

Old January 11th 17, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:19:54 on Wed, 11 Jan
2017, tim... remarked:

There's an IT skills shortage,

not in engineering there isn't

Yes there is. Maybe not in your specific field, if your view is coloured
by applying for jobs you don't get.
Old January 11th 17, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:19:54 on Wed, 11 Jan 2017,
tim... remarked:

There's an IT skills shortage,

not in engineering there isn't

Yes there is. Maybe not in your specific field, if your view is coloured
by applying for jobs you don't get.

No, it's based upon what my peers tell me happens to them as well

And what happens is that once you get to 40+ few want to employ you in
non-management positions however good a match you are for the role.

An industry that can "afford" to "throw way" people who are less than 50%
through their useful career cannot be short of suitable workers.

tim

Old January 11th 17, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:
Political ideal - and I didn't believe that they would be prepared to
spend
the effort to give me the information if I asked them (I actually had this
conversation with one of the canvassers in the town centre, and he agreed
with me - that they wouldn't find it worth their while to translate all
their literate into English for the small number of voters in the
constituency)

If you're living in a foreign country you should learn the language and
not
expect the locals to translate their literature into your language because
you're too lazy to learn theirs.

Some people are just no good at learning foreign languages

after 200 hours (and that is a lot) of lessons I was still finding spoken
German incomprehensible

tim

Old January 11th 17, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:31:59 on Wed, 11 Jan
2017, tim... remarked:

There's an IT skills shortage,

not in engineering there isn't

Yes there is. Maybe not in your specific field, if your view is
coloured by applying for jobs you don't get.

No, it's based upon what my peers tell me happens to them as well

And what happens is that once you get to 40+ few want to employ you in
non-management positions however good a match you are for the role.

An industry that can "afford" to "throw way" people who are less than
50% through their useful career cannot be short of suitable workers.

I agree that there's ageism, but some of that is justified if you want
fresh minds to address new problems.
Old January 11th 17, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\01\11 09:11, tim... wrote:

I think you've just described exactly why they wont be sent back.

Just how are they going to find suitably qualified local replacements
for 25% of their workforce, all to start "tomorrow".

The thing about FoM is that its only works as a positive EU-wide right.
It doesn't work as a negative EU-wide restriction.

Individual EU countries are free to have their own rules wrt employment
of non-EU nationals and can give out as many "permissions" to work
locally as they see fit (of course such a permission doesn't give that
individual FoM to other countries). Counties who already have millions
of UK workers can immediately "legalises" them regardless of any Brexit
agreement - and almost certainly would be foolish not to.

The EU overruling its nations and making Brits the only people in the
world who are banned from working in the EU wouldn't surprise me. But
hey-ho, let's get on with it and see!
Old January 11th 17, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:
[...]

Zay heff vays off mecking you tock,
but zay heff no vay off mecking you understand.
Old January 11th 17, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:22:25 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
You would clearly be surprised how many naturalised foreigners there are
in the country.

Unless people start speaking a language as a child then they always retain
at least some of the accent of their mother tonque so are fairly easy to spot.

--
Spud

Old January 11th 17, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:31:59 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:31:59 on Wed, 11 Jan
2017, tim... remarked:
An industry that can "afford" to "throw way" people who are less than
50% through their useful career cannot be short of suitable workers.

I agree that there's ageism, but some of that is justified if you want
fresh minds to address new problems.

That works in a small percentage of cases. However what usually happens is
the "fresh minds" make the same old mistakes of previous generations and just
end up re-inventing the wheel. Often poorly.

--
Spud