London Banter

-   -   RIP Boris Bus (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15212-rip-boris-bus.html)

Roland Perry January 2nd 17 07:44 PM

RIP Boris Bus

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-london-mayor-
boris-bus-scrap-boris-johnson-legacy-double-decker-routemasters-
a7505391.html

Recliner[_3_] January 2nd 17 09:15 PM

RIP Boris Bus

Roland Perry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-london-mayor-
boris-bus-scrap-boris-johnson-legacy-double-decker-routemasters-
a7505391.html

The headline is a bit of an exaggeration, and it's really a non-story on a
quiet news day: we already knew no more of them were to be ordered, and
Sadiq isn't actually getting rid of the delivered fleet.

Robin[_4_] January 2nd 17 09:30 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On 02/01/2017 20:44, Roland Perry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-london-mayor-
boris-bus-scrap-boris-johnson-legacy-double-decker-routemasters-
a7505391.html

That was in TfL's business plan published on 8 December.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/board-20161215-item09-tfl-business-plan.pdf

And nice of the Independent to go along with TfL's spin. While I'm no
fan of the NRMs, there's not even a hint of the other narrative:

"Sadiq Khan's fares freeze means TfL can no longer afford to buy other
kinds of new buses in place of the Routemasters".

--
Robin

D A Stocks[_2_] January 2nd 17 11:37 PM

RIP Boris Bus

"Recliner" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-london-mayor-
boris-bus-scrap-boris-johnson-legacy-double-decker-routemasters-
a7505391.html

The headline is a bit of an exaggeration, and it's really a non-story on a
quiet news day: we already knew no more of them were to be ordered, and
Sadiq isn't actually getting rid of the delivered fleet.

I am assuming London is stuck with the NRMs until they are scrapped. At
least the bendies were a standard design that could be sold to other UK bus
operators; we have some of them in Brighton & Hove.

--
DAS

[email protected] January 3rd 17 08:36 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 00:37:35 -0000
"D A Stocks" wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
-septem
er.org...
Roland Perry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-london-mayor-
boris-bus-scrap-boris-johnson-legacy-double-decker-routemasters-
a7505391.html

The headline is a bit of an exaggeration, and it's really a non-story on a
quiet news day: we already knew no more of them were to be ordered, and
Sadiq isn't actually getting rid of the delivered fleet.

I am assuming London is stuck with the NRMs until they are scrapped. At
least the bendies were a standard design that could be sold to other UK bus
operators; we have some of them in Brighton & Hove.

It does seem to be history repeating itself. Boris didn't like the bendies
giving some spurious nonsense about them being a danger to cyclists (or more
likely because they were Kens idea) and now Kahn has decided the roastmasters
are a poor choice. Which to be fair, they are.

I suppose if you're mayor of western europes largest city but you really don't
have much power, buses seem to be the bit where you can leave your legacy.

--
Spud

[email protected] January 3rd 17 12:18 PM

RIP Boris Bus

In article , d () wrote:

It does seem to be history repeating itself. Boris didn't like the
bendies
giving some spurious nonsense about them being a danger to cyclists
(or more likely because they were Kens idea) and now Kahn has decided
the roastmasters are a poor choice. Which to be fair, they are.

Speaking as a cyclist I hated the bendies. They were so long they were very
hard to navigate round and they kept cutting in on one.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 3rd 17 02:31 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 07:18:22 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

It does seem to be history repeating itself. Boris didn't like the
bendies
giving some spurious nonsense about them being a danger to cyclists
(or more likely because they were Kens idea) and now Kahn has decided
the roastmasters are a poor choice. Which to be fair, they are.

Speaking as a cyclist I hated the bendies. They were so long they were very
hard to navigate round and they kept cutting in on one.

So treat them like an HGV. Problem solved. They have them all over europe
without thousands of dead cyclists littering the roads. As someone who has
taken a pushchair on a double decker on number of occasions its a fecking
nightmare - half the bus is out of bounds. God knows what the disabled think of
the bloody things. Quite why we're so wedded to having 2 storey vehicles in
this country is anyones guess.

--
Spud

Someone Somewhere January 3rd 17 03:11 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On 03/01/2017 15:31, d wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 07:18:22 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

It does seem to be history repeating itself. Boris didn't like the
bendies
giving some spurious nonsense about them being a danger to cyclists
(or more likely because they were Kens idea) and now Kahn has decided
the roastmasters are a poor choice. Which to be fair, they are.

Speaking as a cyclist I hated the bendies. They were so long they were very
hard to navigate round and they kept cutting in on one.

So treat them like an HGV. Problem solved. They have them all over europe
without thousands of dead cyclists littering the roads. As someone who has
taken a pushchair on a double decker on number of occasions its a fecking
nightmare - half the bus is out of bounds. God knows what the disabled think of
the bloody things. Quite why we're so wedded to having 2 storey vehicles in
this country is anyones guess.

Wasn't the problem more (from my experience) that the road design in
London is unsuited to large numbers of such long vehicles - ie the
distance between traffic lights and other obstacles to road progress was
not a reasonable multiple of bendies long so if (when!) the service
bunched up or many routes served a road then they caused more congestion
than would reasonably be expected or presented an impediment to progress
- whether that be themselves, other motorists or pedestrians.

That, allied to their reputation as a "free bus" and the consequential
crush loading on certain services (25 anyone?), was what made them
undesirable than the supposed risk to cyclists (which was unproven) and
their flammability (which was fixed and never caused an injury anyway).

[email protected] January 3rd 17 03:24 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:11:43 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 03/01/2017 15:31, d wrote:
[...]

Possibly. OTOH they carried ~150 passengers compared to about 80 on a DD and
they weren't close to being twice as long, so they carried more passengers per
metre of road space used.

That, allied to their reputation as a "free bus" and the consequential
crush loading on certain services (25 anyone?), was what made them

More random ticket inspections would have sorted that problem. You don't get
mass fare evasion on the gateless DLR because they do frequent checks. But of
course that means hiring people and TfL don't like doing that. Unless its for
management positions of course.

undesirable than the supposed risk to cyclists (which was unproven) and

Quite so. Just lots of lycra louts whining when they found out that riding up
the inside of an articulated vehicle turning left turned out to be a bad idea.
Who knew? (Well, everyone with some basic common sense which excludes a lot
of cyclists it seems).

their flammability (which was fixed and never caused an injury anyway).

And a lot of them ended up happily working in the heat in Malta. Ironic.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] January 3rd 17 04:01 PM

RIP Boris Bus

wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:11:43 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 03/01/2017 15:31, d wrote:
[...]

Not happily. They had more fires and were soon taken off the road. They've
new been sent to somewhere hotter still: Sudan.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...s-8788929.html

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...o-sudan.507334

Neil Williams January 3rd 17 10:16 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On 2017-01-03 16:11:43 +0000, Someone Somewhere said:

That, allied to their reputation as a "free bus"

I'm not clear why the Bozza bus, which has exactly the same operating
model, isn't also seen that way.

FWIW, the bendy could have been operated as "on at the front, off at
the back" the same as most London deckers. The method of revenue
protection has nothing to do with the type of bus.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams January 3rd 17 10:17 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On 2017-01-03 17:01:14 +0000, Recliner said:

Not happily. They had more fires and were soon taken off the road. They've
new been sent to somewhere hotter still: Sudan.

Luton Airport also seem to have a number of them, with Arriva
interiors, and modified to have doors on both sides.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] January 3rd 17 11:24 PM

RIP Boris Bus

In article ,

On 2017-01-03 16:11:43 +0000, Someone Somewhere said:

That, allied to their reputation as a "free bus"

I'm not clear why the Bozza bus, which has exactly the same operating
model, isn't also seen that way.

FWIW, the bendy could have been operated as "on at the front, off at
the back" the same as most London deckers. The method of revenue
protection has nothing to do with the type of bus.

Presumably the main difference is the larger number of passengers per bus.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 4th 17 09:34 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 17:01:14 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
And a lot of them ended up happily working in the heat in Malta. Ironic.

Not happily. They had more fires and were soon taken off the road. They've
new been sent to somewhere hotter still: Sudan.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...ses-to-be-ship
ed-to-sudan.507334http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20140218/local/bend
-buses-to-be-shipped-to-sudan.507334

"Experts concluded that the fires were caused by the conditions the buses were
subjected to on Malta’s roads, as well as an element of poor maintenance."

I'm guessing the cooling wasn't designed for a hot country and coupled with
cheapskate maintenance and presumably no fix being applied before they were
shipped from London...

Running them in Africa, what could possibly go wrong? Still, the local islamist
nutters may see an opportunity there with self immolating buses.

--
Spud

Someone Somewhere January 4th 17 11:10 AM

RIP Boris Bus

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
And a lot of them ended up happily working in the heat in Malta. Ironic.

Not happily. They had more fires and were soon taken off the road. They've
new been sent to somewhere hotter still: Sudan.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...ses-to-be-ship
ed-to-sudan.507334http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20140218/local/bend
-buses-to-be-shipped-to-sudan.507334

"Experts concluded that the fires were caused by the conditions the buses were
subjected to on Malta’s roads, as well as an element of poor maintenance."

I'm guessing the cooling wasn't designed for a hot country and coupled with
cheapskate maintenance and presumably no fix being applied before they were
shipped from London...

Running them in Africa, what could possibly go wrong? Still, the local islamist
nutters may see an opportunity there with self immolating buses.

I also note the following concluding line:

In offering the buses for sale, Transport Malta had laid down that they
cannot be returned to Maltas roads, because of the congestion they caused.

So it's not just London where bendy buses are unwelcome due to congestion...

[email protected] January 4th 17 11:36 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:10:33 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
In offering the buses for sale, Transport Malta had laid down that they
cannot be returned to Maltas roads, because of the congestion they caused.

So it's not just London where bendy buses are unwelcome due to congestion...

What causes more congestion, 2 double deckers or one bendy? I'm guessing you
don't visit Oxford street very often.

--
Spud

Neil Williams January 4th 17 11:40 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On 2017-01-04 12:36:37 +0000, d said:

What causes more congestion, 2 double deckers or one bendy? I'm guessing you
don't visit Oxford street very often.

Oxford Street's transport arrangement is a joke. In a civilised
country it'd have a single tram route and no taxis.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Someone Somewhere January 4th 17 02:06 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On 04/01/2017 12:36, d wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:10:33 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
In offering the buses for sale, Transport Malta had laid down that they
cannot be returned to Maltas roads, because of the congestion they caused.

So it's not just London where bendy buses are unwelcome due to congestion...

What causes more congestion, 2 double deckers or one bendy? I'm guessing you
don't visit Oxford street very often.

Why would I? I'm a Londoner and we famously rarely visit the West End...

The sort of issue I was thinking of was around Brixton where there are
several pairings of lights that are about 1.5 bendies or 2 double
deckers apart - a single bendy is fine, but once two try to get through
either the arse end of one ends up blocking the lights/junction or
leaves a large gap in front which is rapidly filled by overtaking
marauding white vans and taxis preventing it making the progress it
could do and leading to congestion behind. From memory there were
similar issues in the Aldgate area.

Yes, HGVs can cause the same issue, but there are a lot more buses
around on certain roads than there are HGVs.

[email protected] January 4th 17 03:44 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:40:22 +0000
On 2017-01-04 12:36:37 +0000, d said:

What causes more congestion, 2 double deckers or one bendy? I'm guessing you
don't visit Oxford street very often.

Oxford Street's transport arrangement is a joke. In a civilised
country it'd have a single tram route and no taxis.

Can't disagree with that.

--
Spud

[email protected] January 4th 17 03:47 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 15:06:20 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 04/01/2017 12:36, d wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:10:33 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
In offering the buses for sale, Transport Malta had laid down that they
cannot be returned to Maltas roads, because of the congestion they caused.

So it's not just London where bendy buses are unwelcome due to congestion...

What causes more congestion, 2 double deckers or one bendy? I'm guessing you
don't visit Oxford street very often.

Why would I? I'm a Londoner and we famously rarely visit the West End...

Speak for yourself. I often go there since its about the only place that has
any decent book and record shops left! Oxford street was a sea of mostly empty
buses doing 5mph as usual.

The sort of issue I was thinking of was around Brixton where there are
several pairings of lights that are about 1.5 bendies or 2 double
deckers apart - a single bendy is fine, but once two try to get through
either the arse end of one ends up blocking the lights/junction or
leaves a large gap in front which is rapidly filled by overtaking
marauding white vans and taxis preventing it making the progress it
could do and leading to congestion behind. From memory there were
similar issues in the Aldgate area.

Yes, HGVs can cause the same issue, but there are a lot more buses
around on certain roads than there are HGVs.

Well, its horses for course. You don't use double deckers on routes with low
bridges and bendies shouldn't have been used in areas they blocked junctions.
Anyway, its all academic now, I doubt they'll be back anytime soon sadly.

--
Spud

Richard[_3_] January 4th 17 07:40 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 18:24:54 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,

On 2017-01-03 16:11:43 +0000, Someone Somewhere said:

That, allied to their reputation as a "free bus"

I'm not clear why the Bozza bus, which has exactly the same operating
model, isn't also seen that way.

FWIW, the bendy could have been operated as "on at the front, off at
the back" the same as most London deckers. The method of revenue
protection has nothing to do with the type of bus.

Presumably the main difference is the larger number of passengers per bus.

Another nail in the coffin was the Brexit-style campaign of
misinformation from serial liar Boris himself and the Mini Mail -- or
was the Standard in the oligarch's hands by then?

Plenty of artic buses are operated in an "on at the front" manner -
many, many places in France and Spain for instance, and they operate
in many of the oldest cities across Europe so I maintain sceptical
about their alleged problems. Of course, some routes suit some
vehicles better. The first routes these buses went from were the ones
to which they were most suited, therefore IMO the policy was nothing
but ********.

Richard.

[email protected] January 5th 17 08:25 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 20:40:57 +0000
Richard wrote:
Another nail in the coffin was the Brexit-style campaign of
misinformation from serial liar Boris himself and the Mini Mail -- or

Boris just jumps on any bandwagon that it thinks will take him somewhere
convenient. With the buses he could stick it to ken and get the lycra lout
vote all in one.

was the Standard in the oligarch's hands by then?

Sadly the standard these days is nothing more than Guardian Lite. An
unremitting diet of liberal left bull**** and propaganda.

vehicles better. The first routes these buses went from were the ones
to which they were most suited, therefore IMO the policy was nothing
but ********.

Weren't they removed from Uxbridge road PDQ, the route that was absolutely
perfect for them?

--
Spud

Robin9 January 5th 17 10:49 PM

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/bus...d-bus-changes/

Water musician January 6th 17 07:07 AM

RIP Boris Bus

Bendies here in Caen and many other French cities operate “on at the front,
off at the centre and rear” rule. Enforced by onboard CCTV in many locales.

Mind you, Twisto here (aka Kaolis) over-eggs the pudding somewhat with the
message “Je Monte, Je Valide” alternating with the destination on the
front display panel every few seconds. A big irritation in the city centre
when you can’t tell whether your bus is next or one following, since they
are all showing the same front message.

As one friend put it: “Kaolis obviously think we Caennais are stupid. Half
the population is too young to know any other kind of bus – and the rest of
us have had years to learn how it works. We know we have to pay or valider
when we board – what we REALLY want to know is this if it is the bus we
want to board.”

Of course the real anti-social behaviour on our buses is failing to say
“Bonjour” to the conducteur as you compostez, [For the avoidance of
doubt, that’s the person sitting at the steering wheel].

On 4 Jan 2017, Neil Williams wrote
(in article ):

[email protected] January 6th 17 09:51 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 09:07:05 +0100
Water musician wrote:
Bendies here in Caen and many other French cities operate “on at the front,
off at the centre and rear” rule. Enforced by onboard CCTV in many locales.

Mind you, Twisto here (aka Kaolis) over-eggs the pudding somewhat with the
message “Je Monte, Je Valide” alternating with the destination on the
front display panel every few seconds. A big irritation in the city centre
when you can’t tell whether your bus is next or one following, since they
are all showing the same front message.

As one friend put it: “Kaolis obviously think we Caennais are stupid. Half
the population is too young to know any other kind of bus – and the rest of
us have had years to learn how it works. We know we have to pay or valider
when we board – what we REALLY want to know is this if it is the bus we
want to board.”

The london bus dot matrix boards at bus stops are useful , but they do have
an annoying habit of slowly going through a list of up to 9 buses r a t h e r
s l o o o o w ly , which is annoying when its telling you the 7th, 8th and 9th
buses (which are usually 15-20 mins away) when all want to know if your bus is
coming in the next 2 mins or whether you have enough time to do a bit more
shopping.

--
Spud

[email protected] January 6th 17 09:54 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 00:49:07 +0100
Robin9 wrote:
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/bus...d-bus-changes/

"London is growing, with an estimated 10 million people expected to live here
by the early 2030s"

10 million already live in commuting distance. Presumably they mean within

the london boroughs - well good luck with that given the lack of housing.
Hopefully some politician will find a pair of balls after Brexit and actually
do something about mass immigration tho given a large proportion of immigration
is from non EU countries which we do have control over yet do nothing about
I won't hold my breath.

--
Spud

Roland Perry January 6th 17 10:03 AM

RIP Boris Bus

In message , at 10:54:30 on Fri, 6 Jan
2017, d remarked:

"London is growing, with an estimated 10 million people expected to live here
by the early 2030s"

10 million already live in commuting distance. Presumably they mean within

the london boroughs

Isn't "commuting distance" usually reckoned to be an hour from a London
Rail Terminus? Although 10m is far too small for that.

[email protected] January 6th 17 10:13 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 11:03:59 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:54:30 on Fri, 6 Jan
2017, d remarked:

"London is growing, with an estimated 10 million people expected to live here
by the early 2030s"

10 million already live in commuting distance. Presumably they mean within

the london boroughs

Isn't "commuting distance" usually reckoned to be an hour from a London
Rail Terminus? Although 10m is far too small for that.

Don't know, but isn't there something like 20-25 million in london and the home
counties?

--
Spud

Roland Perry January 6th 17 11:23 AM

RIP Boris Bus

In message , at 11:13:58 on Fri, 6 Jan
2017, d remarked:

"London is growing, with an estimated 10 million people expected to live here
by the early 2030s"

10 million already live in commuting distance. Presumably they mean within
the london boroughs

Isn't "commuting distance" usually reckoned to be an hour from a London
Rail Terminus? Although 10m is far too small for that.

Don't know,

The 1hr is true.

but isn't there something like 20-25 million in london and the home
counties?

8.5m in Great London today, so the extra 1.5m will be easily mopped up
by the boroughs which encircle it.

[email protected] January 6th 17 06:45 PM

RIP Boris Bus

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 11:13:58 on Fri, 6 Jan
2017,
d remarked:

"London is growing, with an estimated 10 million people expected to
live here by the early 2030s"

10 million already live in commuting distance. Presumably they mean
within the london boroughs

Isn't "commuting distance" usually reckoned to be an hour from a London
Rail Terminus? Although 10m is far too small for that.

Don't know,

The 1hr is true.

Ely within 1 hour?

but isn't there something like 20-25 million in london and the home
counties?

8.5m in Great London today, so the extra 1.5m will be easily mopped
up by the boroughs which encircle it.

I assume the discussion is about the Greater London population. Hopefully
Spud won't get his wish if he wants enough people to be working to pay for
his pension.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim... January 6th 17 06:50 PM

RIP Boris Bus

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 11:03:59 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:54:30 on Fri, 6 Jan
2017, d remarked:

"London is growing, with an estimated 10 million people expected to live
here
by the early 2030s"

10 million already live in commuting distance. Presumably they mean
within
the london boroughs

Isn't "commuting distance" usually reckoned to be an hour from a London
Rail Terminus? Although 10m is far too small for that.

Don't know, but isn't there something like 20-25 million in london and the
home
counties?

2011 census

London 8 Million

SE region 8.5 million

Eastern Region 6 million

tim

Roland Perry January 7th 17 07:49 AM

RIP Boris Bus

"London is growing, with an estimated 10 million people expected to
live here by the early 2030s"

10 million already live in commuting distance. Presumably they mean
within the london boroughs

Isn't "commuting distance" usually reckoned to be an hour from a London
Rail Terminus? Although 10m is far too small for that.

Don't know,

The 1hr is true.

Ely within 1 hour?

Of Cambridge, yes. And while there are London commuters from Ely and
further north, it's not a huge number. Ely generates 450k trips a year
to London[1] (a tenth of that from Cambridge). That's all passengers,
and my finger in the wind for Ely is that less than half will be
commuters.

but isn't there something like 20-25 million in london and the home
counties?

8.5m in Great London today, so the extra 1.5m will be easily mopped
up by the boroughs which encircle it.

I assume the discussion is about the Greater London population. Hopefully
Spud won't get his wish if he wants enough people to be working to pay for
his pension.

[1] That's Kings Cross plus Liverpool St plus Thameslink core
destinations.

Neil Williams January 9th 17 09:59 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On 2017-01-06 12:23:13 +0000, Roland Perry said:

The 1hr is true.

It's typical on conventional mainlines, but on very fast ones much less
so because price also comes into it. Rugby is not, for example,
primarily a commuter town (there are commuters, but that proves nothing
- there are commuters from far further away too). I wouldn't expect
HS2 to turn the Birmingham suburbs into London commuterland, either.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Roland Perry January 9th 17 10:13 AM

RIP Boris Bus

In message , at 10:59:17 on Mon, 9 Jan
2017, Neil Williams remarked:

The 1hr is true.

It's typical on conventional mainlines, but on very fast ones much less
so because price also comes into it. Rugby is not, for example,
primarily a commuter town (there are commuters, but that proves nothing
- there are commuters from far further away too).

Peterborough and Market Harborough[1] definitely, Grantham increasingly
so.

[1] Which are both further north than Rugby

[email protected] January 10th 17 08:55 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 13:45:07 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:

[...]

I pay for a private pension, I don't require the next generation to do it for me
thanks. Also that whole paying pensions argument falls apart since it appears
to require a constantly increasing working age population which is completely
unsustainable, so better to bite the bullet now and halt population growth
rather than wreck the country then STILL have to deal with the problem of
pensions at a later date anyway.

--
Spud

[email protected] January 10th 17 10:44 AM

RIP Boris Bus

wrote:

I assume the discussion is about the Greater London population. Hopefully
Spud won't get his wish if he wants enough people to be working to pay
for his pension.

I pay for a private pension, I don't require the next generation to do it
for me thanks. Also that whole paying pensions argument falls apart since
it appears to require a constantly increasing working age population which
is completely unsustainable, so better to bite the bullet now and halt
population growth rather than wreck the country then STILL have to deal
with the problem of pensions at a later date anyway.

You've spotted a weakness which applies a lot more widely than to pensions
but it's still the only way your state pension will be paid.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 10th 17 10:51 AM

RIP Boris Bus

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 05:44:44 -0600
wrote:

wrote:

I assume the discussion is about the Greater London population. Hopefully
Spud won't get his wish if he wants enough people to be working to pay
for his pension.

I pay for a private pension, I don't require the next generation to do it
for me thanks. Also that whole paying pensions argument falls apart since
it appears to require a constantly increasing working age population which
is completely unsustainable, so better to bite the bullet now and halt
population growth rather than wreck the country then STILL have to deal
with the problem of pensions at a later date anyway.

You've spotted a weakness which applies a lot more widely than to pensions
but it's still the only way your state pension will be paid.

The age of retirement is slowly being raised so that should solve the problem
at least partially. More workers in the job market without requiring immigrants
and less demand for pensions. Win win.

--
Spud

Roland Perry January 10th 17 12:12 PM

RIP Boris Bus

In message , at 11:51:35 on Tue, 10 Jan
2017, d remarked:
[...]

How many redundant Southern Guards, aged 70+ want to work in all
weathers picking crops in the Fens?

and less demand for pensions. Win win.

[email protected] January 10th 17 12:51 PM

RIP Boris Bus

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:12:46 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

If that was the only place immigrants were taking jobs then that would be a
valid question, but as you know - it isn't. I'm currently sitting in an office
60% immigrants, none of them doing a job that couldn't have been done by

a native. And in fact 1 position was illegally filled since it wasn't
advertised in the UK before a foreign director found someone in his own country
to fill it for a pittance salary.

--
Spud

Roland Perry January 10th 17 01:15 PM

RIP Boris Bus

In message , at 13:51:43 on Tue, 10 Jan
2017, d remarked:

The age of retirement is slowly being raised so that should solve the problem
at least partially. More workers in the job market without requiring

immigrants

How many redundant Southern Guards, aged 70+ want to work in all
weathers picking crops in the Fens?

If that was the only place immigrants were taking jobs then that would be a
valid question, but as you know - it isn't.

It's the jobs which tipped the Brexit balance among voters.

I'm currently sitting in an office 60% immigrants, none of them doing
a job that couldn't have been done by a native. And in fact 1 position
was illegally filled since it wasn't advertised in the UK before a
foreign director found someone in his own country to fill it for a
pittance salary.

That's extraordinary. Either a very small office and that's six out of
ten by some fluke, or as you hint a foreign-owned firm preferring its
nationals. And that could of course bring with them skills that a native
*didn't* have.