Old April 3rd 17, 11:33 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Woking to Heathrow

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:49:33 on Mon, 3 Apr 2017,
Martin Coffee remarked:

If a train is stranded without a functional driver then the situation
can serious especially if the signalling is such that the signaller
doesn't know exactly where the train is. I dread to think what might
happen if this is somewhere without mobile coverage.

It's a balance between what might go wrong once a year, and the cost of
all those guards.

Taking the recent concrete example of introduction of DOO, I'm pretty sure
the agreements on Southern (for now at least) involve a member of staff
being on every train (with limited exceptions), and I'm pretty sure they
were re-employed on their new contracts with no loss of pay. Obviously both
of these things may change in the future, but at present, where does your
huge cash saving come from?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old April 4th 17, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
15:25:59 on Mon, 3 Apr 2017, remarked:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 6:41:09 PM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:29:00
on Sun, 2 Apr 2017,
remarked:
https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...-requirements/

The main complaint is that they don't (do much checking). And
reportedly the problem with insurance is they don't track
cancellations

I'm not even sure there's a mechanism for that even if they wanted to

They could do spot checks on the drivers, say once a month on average
for each, and blacklist the ones without insurance.

I think you mean take them to court to get 6 points on their licence?

No, but the licensing authorities and police are.

Why would Uber snitch on their customers (and make no mistake, Uber's
customers are the drivers, passengers are the customers of the drivers).

I'm sorry but you've made the mistake. Uber's customers are the
passengers because Uber debit their credit cards. The passengers
do not pay the drivers.

You misunderstand the nature of Internet intermediaries.

If it was as you say, then there would be no doubt whatsoever that Uber
as a transportion company and the drivers were employees. Uber deny both
vociferously.

When you buy something online from a retailer, and they charge you via
your credit card and Worldpay, you are in no sense a customer of
Worldpay. They are just a collecting agency, and to the extent that the
fares go from you to Uber to the driver, then they are just a money
collecting agency.

Where it starts getting mucky is that they are also a booking agency,
and just as you don't expect Amazon to be letting people sell handguns
and child abuse images on their platform, you shouldn't be expecting
Uber to match you up with an unlicenced or uninsured driver.

Old April 4th 17, 07:02 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:33:00 on Mon, 3 Apr 2017,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

If a train is stranded without a functional driver then the situation
can serious especially if the signalling is such that the signaller
doesn't know exactly where the train is. I dread to think what might
happen if this is somewhere without mobile coverage.

It's a balance between what might go wrong once a year, and the cost of
all those guards.

Taking the recent concrete example of introduction of DOO, I'm pretty sure
the agreements on Southern (for now at least) involve a member of staff
being on every train (with limited exceptions), and I'm pretty sure they
were re-employed on their new contracts with no loss of pay. Obviously both
of these things may change in the future, but at present, where does your
huge cash saving come from?

The ongoing training programme, training of new guards, and as you
suggest the employment of new on-train staff at a different grade,
despite not "demoting" the grandfathered-in existing guards.
Old April 4th 17, 07:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message ,
at 15:25:59 on Mon, 3 Apr 2017,
remarked:

[...]

To take hire car bookings in the UK Uber have to be an operator as well.
That is an activity that has to licensed by a local authority and they have
obligations, especially to keep records of hirings.

--
Colin Rosenstiel