Old April 6th 17, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-05 09:01:30 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 09:38:24 on Wed, 5
Apr 2017, Neil Williams remarked:

Why "of course"?

Because it's already been discussed.

OK, remind me. Is it some kind of US minicab-law or something else?

No, it just came up on the thread further up that Uber in the US
provide insurance cover for hire and reward when you are signed onto
the app, and a higher level when a passenger is on board, that's all.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old April 6th 17, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 01:00:38 on Thu, 6 Apr
2017, Neil Williams remarked:
Why "of course"?
Because it's already been discussed.

OK, remind me. Is it some kind of US minicab-law or something else?

No, it just came up on the thread further up that Uber in the US
provide insurance cover for hire and reward when you are signed onto
the app, and a higher level when a passenger is on board, that's all.

Why do they provide that in the USA and not the UK?
Old April 6th 17, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-04-06 08:51:37 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Why do they provide that in the USA and not the UK?

I have no idea. I don't have a suitable car, FWIW, but if they did
provide it here and I did I might well do the odd bit of Ubering to
make a quid here or there, which is the true opportunity of the gig
economy stuff.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old April 6th 17, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 01:00:38 on Thu, 6 Apr
2017, Neil Williams remarked:
Why "of course"?
Because it's already been discussed.
OK, remind me. Is it some kind of US minicab-law or something else?

No, it just came up on the thread further up that Uber in the US
provide insurance cover for hire and reward when you are signed onto
the app, and a higher level when a passenger is on board, that's all.

Why do they provide that in the USA and not the UK?

Just speculation, but perhaps it's harder to check if Uber drivers in the
US have procured suitable insurance themselves? Or maybe it's much cheaper
to purchase collectively?
Old April 6th 17, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-04-06 08:51:37 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Why do they provide that in the USA and not the UK?

I have no idea. I don't have a suitable car, FWIW, but if they did
provide it here and I did I might well do the odd bit of Ubering to
make a quid here or there, which is the true opportunity of the gig
economy stuff.

Yes, it could be that in the US there are more ordinary car owners just
doing a little Uber driving to top up their income, whereas iver here, most
Uber drivers are doing it as their main job.

Old April 6th 17, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-04-06 09:04:41 +0000, Recliner said:

Yes, it could be that in the US there are more ordinary car owners just
doing a little Uber driving to top up their income, whereas iver here, most
Uber drivers are doing it as their main job.

I'd genuinely like to be able to do that, but the UK's approach to taxi
licensing and insurance prohibits it. I do understand the need for
regulation, but it really needs to keep up with the advance of
technology so we are not prevented from taking such opportunities.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old April 6th 17, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:43:17 on Thu, 6 Apr
2017, Neil Williams remarked:
Yes, it could be that in the US there are more ordinary car owners just
doing a little Uber driving to top up their income, whereas iver here, most
Uber drivers are doing it as their main job.

I'd genuinely like to be able to do that, but the UK's approach to taxi
licensing and insurance prohibits it. I do understand the need for
regulation, but it really needs to keep up with the advance of
technology so we are not prevented from taking such opportunities.

What change is required - I hope you don't mean "no hire/reward
insurance and no CRB checking"?
Old April 6th 17, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-04-06 11:59:51 +0000, Roland Perry said:

What change is required - I hope you don't mean "no hire/reward
insurance and no CRB checking"?

DBS checking (you're out of date there) is dead easy to do, so no, not
that. I run loads of them for Scouting purposes and have one myself.

I think what I'd change is make licensing a national remit and design
it for ease of obtaining one (and ease of cancellation if you don't
behave), e.g. a smooth online process. I'd also like to see the Uber
US approach to insurance.

So I should be able to log onto gov.uk, apply for a licence, attend
somewhere once for 10 minutes for a DBS document verification (the only
thing that would be in person) and follow the process online, with "as
needed" insurance provided through the taxi company. And the licence
would be valid throughout the UK.

It should be equally possible to make a complaint against a driver
online and progress that complaint through.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old April 6th 17, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-04-06 18:24:40 +0000, said:

How would that enable your car to be tested for compliance?

Compliance with what? Is the MoT not adequate? If it isn't, then it
needs beefing up for *all* cars, there is no reason to specifically
single out private-hire cars for that purpose.

Neil
--
Neil Williams