London Banter

-   -   Woking to Heathrow (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15301-woking-heathrow.html)

Clank April 28th 17 04:21 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On 28.04.2017 6:25 PM, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 28/04/2017 15:36, Offramp wrote:
Can you give me an executive summary of the 260 answers your post has generated? Is it YES or NO?

To be fair, 250 odd of them have been about public transport in the
Cambridge area including a level of name calling and a discussion on
metallurgy.

So no different to more or less every other thread then. There really
should be a Godwin's Law for Cambridgeshire hackney carriage licensing or
guided buses.

[email protected] April 28th 17 04:37 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 11:53:10 +0100
On 2017-04-28 09:43:59 +0000, d said:

Even so, I still can't figure out why newcastle was so blessed when other
more deserving cities were not. God knows, Birmingham really needs a proper
underground system. If it was a city anywhere in northern or eastern europe
it would have public transport coming out of its ears.

Yeah, Brum does seem to have been left out, largely I guess because of
the existence of the Cross ****ty and New St tunnel.

Liverpool of course got Merseyrail, which had it been built even 5

Liverpool had the Liverpool Overhead Railway back in the day. Which in the
true British tradition of 20/20 foresight was torn down for as far as I can
discern no particularly good reason other than no one wanted to cough up for
maintenance and repairs.

years later I think wouldn't have been a TOC. It's just that at the
time BR was in favour - fast forward a couple of years and it no longer
was.

Merseyrail like the drayton park - moorgate line in london rather eludes
definition. Is it a metro, an S Bahn or just commuter rail that happens to
have some underground stations?

--
Spud

[email protected] April 28th 17 04:41 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 11:39:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:43:59 on Fri, 28 Apr
2017, d remarked:

Even so, I still can't figure out why newcastle was so blessed when other
more deserving cities were not. God knows, Birmingham really needs a proper
underground system. If it was a city anywhere in northern or eastern europe
it would have public transport coming out of its ears.

Famously "more canals than Venice" which isn't surprising since
Birmingham is about 100x the surface area of Venice.

Though you were probably more likely to see a drowned shopping trolley or
moped than a gondal. However I believe the brum canals have been cleaned up
and given a makeover recently. Anyone know?

--
Spud

Neil Williams April 28th 17 04:53 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-28 16:37:11 +0000, d said:

Merseyrail like the drayton park - moorgate line in london rather eludes
definition. Is it a metro, an S Bahn or just commuter rail that happens to
have some underground stations?

Drayton Park to Moorgate is probably an S-Bahn too. Regular interval?
Mostly all stations services?

As for Merseyrail it is an absolute textbook S-Bahn, very similar
indeed to that in Hamburg. Indeed, in some ways Hamburg's railway
geography does mirror Liverpool's a bit - largely because the whole
city does in its layout, being a port city tucked into a similarly
shaped corner of land.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Roland Perry April 28th 17 05:00 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 16:21:36 on Fri, 28 Apr
2017, Clank remarked:

Can you give me an executive summary of the 260 answers your post has generated? Is it YES or NO?

To be fair, 250 odd of them have been about public transport in the
Cambridge area including a level of name calling and a discussion on
metallurgy.

So no different to more or less every other thread then. There really
should be a Godwin's Law for Cambridgeshire hackney carriage licensing or
guided buses.

I'll mention it to Hitler, next time I see him.

Clank April 28th 17 05:16 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On 28.04.2017 8:00 PM, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:21:36 on Fri, 28 Apr
2017, Clank remarked:

Can you give me an executive summary of the 260 answers your post has generated? Is it YES or NO?

To be fair, 250 odd of them have been about public transport in the
Cambridge area including a level of name calling and a discussion on
metallurgy.

So no different to more or less every other thread then. There really
should be a Godwin's Law for Cambridgeshire hackney carriage licensing or
guided buses.

I'll mention it to Hitler, next time I see him.

I have images of Zombie Hitler rising from the grave in despair muttering
"for Christ's sake, he really thinks he knows more about gas fitting than
me..."

[email protected] April 29th 17 11:56 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 22:53:35 +0100
wrote:
practically nothing remaining it would a new railway that happens to
be going in the same direction,this one is quite recent
http://independent-liverpool.co.uk/b...erpools-overhe
d-railway-set-to-return/

Oh dear, a monorail. Next!

--
Spud

Roland Perry April 29th 17 06:14 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 16:41:26 on Fri, 28 Apr
2017, d remarked:
Even so, I still can't figure out why newcastle was so blessed when other
more deserving cities were not. God knows, Birmingham really needs a proper
underground system. If it was a city anywhere in northern or eastern europe
it would have public transport coming out of its ears.

Famously "more canals than Venice" which isn't surprising since
Birmingham is about 100x the surface area of Venice.

Though you were probably more likely to see a drowned shopping trolley or
moped than a gondal. However I believe the brum canals have been cleaned up
and given a makeover recently. Anyone know?

The area around Gas St basin has been "regenerated" with cookie-cutter
bars, bistros and flats. No improvements I could see to the navigation
itself (beyond better towpaths) - if anything parts of it are more
weeded up than they've been in my lifetime.

Roland Perry April 29th 17 06:22 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 17:15:02 on Fri, 28 Apr
2017, Someone Somewhere remarked:

Going back to the Cambridge guided busway, trying to do a pub crawl
along its length is a dreadful idea - I tried it once - most of the
stops are nowhere near the villages they serve.

That's because, ten years later, they've only just started building the
new town it was intended to serve. That might just have a Wetherspoons
style pub/bistro one day.

Here's one on the edge of St Ives not that far from the end of the
busway: https://goo.gl/maps/DndRvXqWkbu and another in the previous
Cambs 'new town", Cambourne: https://goo.gl/maps/PWrCHRbYtrr

Theo[_2_] April 29th 17 06:34 PM

Woking to Heathrow

wrote:
In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:
Doesn't matter. The 220m spans of the Ouse viaduct are much more of
an engineering challenge than 75m of spans at Hardengreen plus some
solid embankments.

Compared to many miles of Borders Railway with lots of bridges and tunnels
too. Stop being silly.

Roland also omits having to construct a new alignment for the City of
Edinburgh bypass, build a bridge under the old route, and then move the
bypass back again:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...ay-bridge.html

Theo